NEWS

Run and Gun release date?

• 209 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #105 on: <02-25-14/2024:35> »
I can handle it just fine. Assassins, HTRs, experimental weapons, or in the case of thor satellites maybe visits from great dragons. These items i dont want them to have are escalations, ones they will not win and will get murdered for. I dont want to have to do that. So I tell them no...which is also another way to handle it.

Apparently you can't by that because escalation is not an immediate thing like people on these boards seem to think. They're not going to bring out those elite units until multiple incidents on their territory (probably about five or six) for things like assault cannons and military armor. They aren't going to give a rat's ass about their competitors' territories.

You're confusing two different things.  There's immediate escalation in terms of the best available resources being leveled against you as soon as you're seen,  and long term escalation in terms of more and better resources being made available.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #106 on: <02-26-14/0028:29> »
Further reading:
Power Creep
Experience Curve

Basically, these are terms used to help quantify the overall power of your group.  It's possible for a group to get so powerful that the only recourse is to start over.  It's also possible for a game to develop so slowly that people get bored.  Telling your players that you're not ready to advance to the next plateau of the game is a perfectly legitimate method of controlling the power of the group from getting out of hand too fast.

And seriously, All4BigGuns?  You can't make an argument without resorting to taunting?

If they can afford it, then they should be able to acquire it. Period. If you "can't handle it" or "aren't comfortable with it" then, IMO, you are not ready to sit behind the GM screen.

Let's not lose sight of the big picture here.  Run and Gun has released one preview of the content.  We don't know what other rules are going to be implemented.  All of this arguing is based on speculation derived from one preview PDF.
« Last Edit: <03-03-14/1636:57> by Namikaze »
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #107 on: <02-26-14/0743:17> »
When the group starts paying me to GM, I'll let them get whatever toys they want without throwing things in the way. Until then, game balance guarantees I can give them a nicer adventure and that I can have fun as well. If players don't like that the GM doesn't just blindly give them everything they want, then it's time they GM instead.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

biotech66

• Omae
« Reply #108 on: <02-26-14/2305:21> »
When the group starts paying me to GM, I'll let them get whatever toys they want without throwing things in the way. Until then, game balance guarantees I can give them a nicer adventure and that I can have fun as well. If players don't like that the GM doesn't just blindly give them everything they want, then it's time they GM instead.

This is the philosophy I live by!  Don't like what I'm doing?  Either do it yourself, or don't bitch!
Speech|Thought|Matrix|Astral

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #109 on: <02-27-14/0028:07> »
I try to make everyone happy.  But that's an unrealistic goal.  For example, in my games I like to encourage the players to come up with characters first and then put the numbers to paper.  It helps to prevent people trying to min/max, and makes them focus on the character itself and how he/she interacts with the world (and vice versa).  But I had a guy that simply refused to even try things my way.  After multiple conversations with him, it became apparent he wasn't going to try my method, and we had to part ways with him.  It's a shame, because he's a great player.  Unfortunately, not everyone's table is to everyone's liking.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

tasti man LH

• Chummer
« Reply #110 on: <02-27-14/0233:14> »
I see it as a cooperative effort by all sides of the table. Both the players and the GM should be having fun.

If the GM is getting sadisitic all the time and dropping Force 30 spirits with all the great dragons and 20 different battalions of Red Samurai on the players every single session, players aren't going to have fun.

At the same time, if the players ae running around with mil spec gear, have full acces to Thor shots, and whose solution to every mission is to use those Thor shots, or decide that they want to kill all the great dragons in the Sixth World, and are able to one-shot kill every single enemy and it's impossible to hit them because they min maxed everything about their character...chances are it's not going to be fun.

For me, no going nuts with super extreme Dark Souls-esque campaigns, and not letting your players pull off batshit insane Saint's Row IV campaigns either.
"I prefer the Turnabout discussions more then the Roundabout variety"

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #111 on: <02-27-14/0309:36> »
Hmmm.  Not liking the social limit and skill buffs from armor.

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #112 on: <02-27-14/0652:39> »

Absolutely!!!   8)
Agent #191 Catalyst Demo Team

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #113 on: <02-27-14/1241:29> »
Preview #2 on DTRPG  ;D

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #114 on: <02-27-14/1354:18> »
Only read the part on armor but already spotted a your instead of you're. ^_^
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

martinchaen

« Reply #115 on: <02-27-14/1409:34> »
Sweet, downloaded and reading during lunch break!

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #116 on: <02-27-14/1434:31> »
Always amuses me when they write into the book.  "yeah you should be minmaxing"  ::)

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #117 on: <02-27-14/1541:06> »
Hope to see a preview of some of the weapon accessories and customizations that will be available. 

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #118 on: <02-27-14/1637:30> »
I'd actually rather just see them release the book... 8)

However, in lieu of this happening in the near future, a snap of the weapon accessories would be pretty cool.

An aside, more art released on Tumblr, though the image can also be found in the second preview.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #119 on: <03-03-14/1613:21> »
Preview #3 is now up. This one is all about combat options (called shots, in particular)...kinda liking where they're trying to go. ;D
« Last Edit: <03-03-14/1619:00> by AJCarrington »