• 7 Replies

MatrixWalker

• Newb
« on: <10-07-19/2333:42> »
Yes/No - Benefits/Drawbacks?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-08-19/0008:29> »
As in 5e drones only take damage that is physical it would break them as you could get their armor to the point you’d need heavy weapons for it not to be turned to stun.

6e whatevs. Doesn’t matter. Go for it.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-08-19/0423:09> »
Sure, but armor doesn't stack unless specifically noted. So say you put an armored vest on a Nissan Oni; it now has Armor 10, or Armor 2. Pick one.

There's an obvious argument to be made for things like elemental protections, but if a player really wanted to add those to a drone I'd let him (this is not RAW, by the way).

RAW, you probably have to wait until the Rigger book comes out, at some point.

MatrixWalker

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-08-19/1933:58> »
Okay, so reading this right:
(Runner wants to make a Fire Fighter Drone)

Nissan Samurai/Oni
Body: 6/9
Armor 6/10

Full Body Armor (w/ Helmet):
DR +5  (+2)
Capacity: 10 (+6)
Armor Mods: Fire *Rating 10, Helmet with another 6

*Nissan Samurai would benefit from the suit of Armor and the Mods
**Nissan Oni would only benefit from the Armor Mods
« Last Edit: <10-08-19/1936:31> by MatrixWalker »

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <10-23-19/0933:31> »
If adding armor to a drone were this easy, more drones would come with better armor right out of the gate. I consider metahuman bodyarmor on a drone to be a perversion of the rules. Admittedly an understandable one considering the lousy armor normal drones get. But drones simply need better armor, not abuse this workaround.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-23-19/0939:59> »
If memory serves this was addressed by a dev post on here somewhere regarding SR5. Again, if memory serves, I recall the answer being only anthro drones can wear body armor, and when that occurs you choose the highest of the drone's armor rating or the worn armor.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-23-19/0957:27> »
If adding armor to a drone were this easy, more drones would come with better armor right out of the gate. I consider metahuman bodyarmor on a drone to be a perversion of the rules. Admittedly an understandable one considering the lousy armor normal drones get. But drones simply need better armor, not abuse this workaround.

Part of the issue with armor jackets providing so many dice is it creates a weird logic for the game world when you bump into their vehicles.  Wait a armor jack provides 12 but my armored vehicle also provided 12 with thick armor plates. Can I stuff the panels with clothing style armor instead it’s clearly more effective. Or I’m in the CZ I plaster my vehicle with armor jackets on top of its regular armor.

The design issues crop up because vehicles can’t take stun and weapons below the armor value do stun. So they artificially limit vehicles and drones armor so they don’t become invulnerable.

Personally I think they should have let vehicles have a stun track but made vehicle armor hardened. Stun would basically represent a involuntary shut down. And attempting to restart your vehicle would represent heal attempts. Basically like In those movies where the car stalls and they frantically keep trying to get the engine to start before the train gets there.

6e where damage does not convert to stun based on armor I think they should have gone with much smaller armor numbers as having a 28 DR is kind of pointless but had the armor be hardened.

Either edition hardened armor for vehicles would have made sense.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-27-19/2349:03> »
Stun would basically represent a involuntary shut down. And attempting to restart your vehicle would represent heal attempts. Basically like In those movies where the car stalls and they frantically keep trying to get the engine to start before the train gets there.

I like your idea of an option to stall vehicles - to differentiate it from runners cond. monitors, it could be something like system damage (shorted out, auto-pilot scrambled, system reboot etc.) and permanent damage (damaged frame, holes punched in armor/structure, windshield shot out, etc.)