NEWS

[capacity]

• 9 Replies

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« on: <02-08-19/1650:33> »
Why do things like Ballistic Masks, Helmets and Forearm Guards have a Capacity rating? What can you install in these items that reasonably makes sense?

Can you put Select Sound Filter in a Ballistic Mask? Ultrasound sensors in your Forearm Guards? A Miniwleder in your Helmet?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-08-19/1659:27> »
I often put gask masks in my ballistic masks or helmets.

Any sort of vision and audio enchancements are useful as well.  Why not a commlink?

While you could install a miniwelder in your helmet, it's probably more easily used if installed in a forearm guard.  Although I could see a use for ultrasound in your forearm guard so long as you have an image link... you only need stick your forearm around the corner to "take a look" rather than your head, like if it was installed in your helmet :D
« Last Edit: <02-08-19/1701:25> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <02-08-19/1701:33> »
No, but you could install vision mods or respitory filters into a ballistic mask; communication gear into your helmet; And a white noise generator to jam ultra sonics into your forearm guard....

Or non-conductivity...

Or thermal protections....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-08-19/1704:50> »
No, but you could install vision mods or respitory filters into a ballistic mask; communication gear into your helmet; And a white noise generator to jam ultra sonics into your forearm guard....

Or non-conductivity...

Or thermal protections....

I'm not sure about the legality of armor mods in gear that isn't technically armor (as opposed to being a modifier TO armor).  For example, if your armor vest has nonconductive 4 and you put nonconductive 4 in a helmet, what's your nonconductive bonus?  Take highest? do they stack? It never says.  Arguably it never says because different suits of armor never stack. It's probably for the best that armor mods only apply to things categorized in the "armor" gear list. (whereas helmets are in the separate "helmets and armor" section)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-08-19/1827:38> »
I would agree, but RnG introduced a lot of... shall we say... inventive?... ways to "get around issues"...

Which has lead to the counterside of that due to "goose/gander" issues that players never actually consider....

So I (and others) have thrown their hands up and said: "fine. Now sleep in the bed of your making..."

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <02-09-19/0904:43> »
RnG has a table of possible armor-mods that you could argue you can add to these items that add capacity. I wouldn't put resistance-stuff in there, but you could equip your forearm guard with a biomonitor for example.

As for any facial gear: Vision Enhancements, Audio Enhancements, Gas Masks, etc.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-09-19/2156:20> »
RnG has a table of possible armor-mods that you could argue you can add to these items that add capacity. I wouldn't put resistance-stuff in there, but you could equip your forearm guard with a biomonitor for example.

As for any facial gear: Vision Enhancements, Audio Enhancements, Gas Masks, etc.

That's not what I was talking about :P

But if your group hasn't found this dark rabbit hole, I'm not going to shine a light on it here :D

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #7 on: <02-10-19/1417:14> »
So really only common sense sets the limit. That's cool.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <02-11-19/1423:18> »

But if your group hasn't found this dark rabbit hole, I'm not going to shine a light on it here :D
I wouldn't allow resistance on a small piece of armor to count for the entire body, plus I never allowed stacking of elemental resistances to begin with. So eh. Also, my 52-session campaign already ended and they simply wore Heavy MilSpec into the bug hive. XD
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-11-19/1524:39> »

I wouldn't allow resistance on a small piece of armor to count for the entire body, plus I never allowed stacking of elemental resistances to begin with. So eh. Also, my 52-session campaign already ended and they simply wore Heavy MilSpec into the bug hive. XD

It has to do with called shots and rationale arguments, that lead down a dark hole of reasoning...Sometimes, after hearing the same arguments for the 50th time, you just go "If that's what you want? Fine. It's not going to work out the way you think its going to. But, FINE."....