NEWS

Tactical Question

• 5 Replies

Morg

« on: <01-27-11/1520:05> »
TacNet (pg 124 unwired) appears to be one of the most useful programs  out there. How common would a TacNet program be on any given commlink. The fluff here makes it sound like every athletic Joe wageslave has one. Opinions please!

Quote from:  Unwired Shadowrun pg 42 A Hard Look at Software
If you play field sport like lacrosse, hocker, or football (eather kind), your coach will give you a TacNet Class program...

If a team of runners hack a TacNet Feed (Radio Signal Scanner or Sniffer and assuming have bypassed encryption) should it only count as one sense and should a greater game mechanical advantage be provided. Consider that a TacNet is made up of many feeds and battle data

If a runner had deep insight into brand and programing of TacNet sofware and the team knows what their enemy is running would you provide a game mechanical advantage because the runner has a better chance of predicting what it will do

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <01-28-11/1040:18> »
TacNet (pg 124 unwired) appears to be one of the most useful programs  out there. How common would a TacNet program be on any given commlink. The fluff here makes it sound like every athletic Joe wageslave has one. Opinions please!
At 3,000 nuyen and Availability 5 per rating, I'd say extremely uncommon.

Quote from:  Unwired Shadowrun pg 42 A Hard Look at Software
If you play field sport like lacrosse, hocker, or football (eather kind), your coach will give you a TacNet Class program...
I believe the coach is running the Tac Net software and the team players' commlinks slave to his for Tac Net participation.

If a team of runners hack a TacNet Feed (Radio Signal Scanner or Sniffer and assuming have bypassed encryption) should it only count as one sense and should a greater game mechanical advantage be provided. Consider that a TacNet is made up of many feeds and battle data
The feed alone won't give them any Tac Net benefit.  Each person/drone must provide sufficient qualifying sensor channels of their own to the Tac Net in order to be a participating member (and I also rule they have to be in the same general area).  Assuming they receive all the information provided by the feed, it should give them a good idea of the other group's location, makeup, and actions. It should also provide a substantial modifier to ambush the other group.

If a runner had deep insight into brand and programing of TacNet sofware and the team knows what their enemy is running would you provide a game mechanical advantage because the runner has a better chance of predicting what it will do
Interesting train of thought, but no.

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <01-28-11/1147:33> »
The issue with a tacnet is that it is up to the GM to keep track of alot of possible data cross over between a team. To gain any benefit you need ot have supporting information from at least one other person effectivly acting as a spotter for you. The more people you have the more chance you have of getting something handy but that will vary between people.

Imagine a runner going down a hallway suddenly he gets a AR image of a troll behind the door ahead superimposed over his vision. In this situation he has a good bonus because his friend has got into position to LOS ahead for him. But is say it was both of them moving down the same hall, unless one of them had the ability to see through the wall and spot the troll he wouldnt have got any bonus.

Tacnets always strike me as basically begging the GM for extra dice, granted if a team works together and does it right with the intention of covering eachothers line of sights and bline spots it can be a very cool tool.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #3 on: <01-28-11/1313:49> »
I would figure it's fairly simple to keep track of LOS among other things as long as you map out the area you're working in and display where the team is moving around. And while you feel like it's begging the GM for extra dice, when you're walking into an ambush, it it can really even the playing field. Besides, if a team is knows about it and can use it effectively they deserve to enjoy it's bonuses. :P
« Last Edit: <01-28-11/1921:52> by Teyl_Iliar »
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <01-28-11/1320:13> »
I would figure it's fairly simple to keep track of LOS among other things as long as you map out the area you're working in and display where the team is moving around. And while you feel like it's begging the GM for extra dice, when you're walking into an ambush, it it can really even the playing field. Besides, if a team is knows about it and can use it effectively they deserve to enjoy it's bonuses. :P

Depends on how your GM runs things its rare for me to see maps and such in our games which is abit sad would be nice to have more visuals but I agree if you do it right you deserve something. But thats more the role playing then the gear in my mind
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Damnyankee

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-29-11/1626:54> »
Remember that drones can be part of the tacnet as well.    Though, to the average running team that doesn't trust each other 100%, not sure how often you would see a running team with a very complex setup.  Now, Give one to LS, or Knight Errant... or Red Samurai... it gets really powerful really quick.  Tools like that are why most shadowrunners should stay the hell away from highly armed professional security types.