NEWS

Legit Licenses for Legit SINs

• 16 Replies

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« on: <07-05-11/0232:48> »
I'm putting together an ex-securuty-tech who has become somewaht jaded in the world as he slipped between the crack os Lone Star and Knight Errant, fresh, clean, real UCAS SINner.  What's the price to say, have all of his starting gear licensed directly and legally to him?

He'd still get his hands on a fake ID and Licenses, but for a first step into the shadows I'd think he'd be copmfortable enough using whats his already.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <07-05-11/0258:04> »
Talk to your GM and see what he thinks.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #2 on: <07-05-11/0555:30> »
As a GM i give them for free if the character has a proper Day Job, or at a least plausible background story and/or character type (a private eye for example).
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

nifoc

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-07-11/0706:39> »
For UCAS I'd hazard a guess that license is included with your SIN, considering the gun-laws currently in the US. That doesn't mean that your local rent-a-cop isn't gonna have some questions if you're lugging around a HMG. I'd suggest claiming it's for sport hunting.

In areas with a history of stricter gun laws, Europe for example, I'd say that it can be included in your Life-style costs, especially using the advanced life-style options in Runners Companion.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <07-07-11/1303:02> »
I'd agree, except that I'd have that part be in the CAS (Their close proximity to Aztlan would also be cause for them to want to have an armed and trained populous!).  The UCAS is likely to be more anti-firearms ownership.  Ares, however, would be fighting that view tooth, nail, and apple pie!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

SirDelta

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-08-11/0002:59> »
For UCAS I'd hazard a guess that license is included with your SIN, considering the gun-laws currently in the US. That doesn't mean that your local rent-a-cop isn't gonna have some questions if you're lugging around a HMG. I'd suggest claiming it's for sport hunting.

In areas with a history of stricter gun laws, Europe for example, I'd say that it can be included in your Life-style costs, especially using the advanced life-style options in Runners Companion.

"Excuse me sir, why are you carrying a heavy machinegun?"
"Oh, I'm going hunting.  How else do you expect me to take down those fraggin paracritters?"

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #6 on: <07-08-11/0136:04> »
 :-XDepends how harsh your GM is.

If you're using a valid Sin, with valid Licenses and Registered firearms, then here's the sequence of events from a crime scene.

'We recovered this bullet'
'Run it to forensics'
'....'
'Ballistics match to registered firearm RFID 123897462349786'
'Check it with the Department of Firearms'
'Weapon registered to Trent Smith'
'Run him through the DMV'
'Trent Smith's listed address is 555 Mockingbird Lane, and he drives a Blue Cadillac registered 3563452341234
'Put out an APB on the car, get a KE-spider to confirm the current location on Mr.Smith, and feed the information to the patrol car. We're on our way.

Shortly, at 555 Mockingbird lane:
*Knock*Knock* Police!

Same results will apply for Hair follicles, skin samples, blood, fingerprints or any of the other biometrics that form part of your SIN.

At the very least, matching these at any crime scene will label you as a person of interest, with all the extra scrutiny that provides.... not very conducive to shadowrunning...
« Last Edit: <07-08-11/0140:34> by Charybdis »
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

jago668

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <07-08-11/0142:06> »
That is why you be a corp citizen.  So when they run ballistics it comes up nada.  Since they would have to ask the corp's permission to use their registered ballistics database, and hope they had asked the correct one.  That is assuming the corp allowed them to do so.

The same thing could happen in reverse if it was a corp looking for you.  Since the govt wouldn't be likely to help out the corp since the above probably happens a good bit.  Turn about is fair play and all.

Least that is the way it seems if you read the Survival Tips section of runner's companion.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #8 on: <07-08-11/0155:24> »
That is why you be a corp citizen.  So when they run ballistics it comes up nada.  Since they would have to ask the corp's permission to use their registered ballistics database, and hope they had asked the correct one.  That is assuming the corp allowed them to do so.

The same thing could happen in reverse if it was a corp looking for you.  Since the govt wouldn't be likely to help out the corp since the above probably happens a good bit.  Turn about is fair play and all.

Least that is the way it seems if you read the Survival Tips section of runner's companion.
Yes and no.

It's true that Corps keep separate copies of their own databases and information, however many of them do share data for standard crime resolution.

It's the same as countries and Interpol right now.
If you perform crime on Horizon turf, they'll run the evidence through their own databases first, and if it comes up with nothing, they will either:
A) Shelve the issue as it's not really high priority
B) Investigate further on their own if it's a big issue and likely to cause embarrassment
C) Hand it all over to Interpol/Knight Errant/UCAS for them to check out further.

All depends on what you did, where, and how much the corp wants to keep it in-house :)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

jago668

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <07-08-11/1502:03> »
Actually I refer you to the Data Balkanization section under Exploiting The System in the Survival Tips section of Runner's Companion.  It specifically states that they don't just share information unless they get something out of it.  "...the days when everybody turned over their trideo feeds to law enforcement at the wave of a badge are long gone."

Now they could certainly get the information eventually, but it isn't going to be a "Hey we need access to your database."  Then of course it is entirely possible for them to hack the corp database and get the information, or the detective working the case might have a corp contact that could get him the information.  Just that the system in Shadowrun doesn't work like it does now.  Make sure you don't do something to upset the corp you have your sin through.

Crash_00

« Reply #10 on: <07-08-11/1524:02> »
If you want licenses for your legal SIN I give them for free if the background warrants it, but a license for a Firearm related to a legal SIN includes registration (All the numbers related to the firearm, along with a spent casing (unless its caseless), and a sample bullet for comparison records).

To avoid being immediately caught, I suggest using Flechette or Explosive (or EX-exp) rounds as they break up on impact.

As for corporate databases, they don't have to just hand out their information, but if the license allows you to carry it on Corporate Territory and UCAS territory, then UCAS is going to have a copy of your license as well as your basics (Fingerprints, Description, DNA, ect).

Example: James is an Ares employee with an Ares SIN. James is an Ares Security Guard and has a License to own and carry his Ares Predator 4 on Ares Territory.

Unless James also has his Ares Predator 4 and files tied into the UCAS databases, James cannot carry his Predator 4 on UCAS territory.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #11 on: <07-28-11/1248:47> »
:-XDepends how harsh your GM is.

If you're using a valid Sin, with valid Licenses and Registered firearms, then here's the sequence of events from a crime scene.

'We recovered this bullet'
'Run it to forensics'
'....'
'Ballistics match to registered firearm RFID 123897462349786'
'Check it with the Department of Firearms'
'Weapon registered to Trent Smith'
'Run him through the DMV'
'Trent Smith's listed address is 555 Mockingbird Lane, and he drives a Blue Cadillac registered 3563452341234
'Put out an APB on the car, get a KE-spider to confirm the current location on Mr.Smith, and feed the information to the patrol car. We're on our way.

Shortly, at 555 Mockingbird lane:
*Knock*Knock* Police!
'What seems to be the problem officer?'
'A gun of your was fo-'
'YOU FOUND MY GUN?'
'Yes sir now-'
'Well that's great, you police types work fast. I didn't even report it missing yet.'
'...Missing?'
'Yeah, thought I accidentally left it in a cab or something, where'd ja find it?"

Of course, in order for this gag to work you need to get rid of the gun before the police get to you. And it'd only work once maybe twice if we're dealing with really lousy police work, you'd still probably get questioned too. Still, it being registered to you only proves you own it. And people's property can be lost or stolen.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #12 on: <07-28-11/1257:12> »
You realize the "Oh, I just noticed it was missing" is the oldest trick in the book, and the cops hear it all the time?

Just makes them want to pull out two phone books while "Interviewing" you.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #13 on: <07-28-11/1500:19> »
You realize the "Oh, I just noticed it was missing" is the oldest trick in the book, and the cops hear it all the time?
Tricks that don't work don't have much of an opportunity to get old.

Edit:Of course, if there's something like video footage of you shooting people in the face with your SINless buddies this ain't gonna work.
« Last Edit: <07-28-11/1538:43> by Red Canti »
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #14 on: <07-28-11/1859:13> »
As a GM, I have quickly realized that I'm a lot harsher to my players than others here. But in this matter, we seem to agree. You got a real SIN, and real licenses, and use the licensed items on a run, it's gonna be really easy to track you down. And saying it's missing probably won't work, especially if it's a customized Pred 4, with skinlink, smartlink, advanced safety, and trigger removal.... *Cackles*
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."