NEWS

Stating club class weapons

• 20 Replies

zeththeadeptork

• Chummer
« on: <02-23-16/1614:42> »
Okay so I've noticed so many bladed weapons but I want a warhammer irl it's a great weapon would have a decent ap maybe 4+str and 5 acc any thoughts?  Also flanges mace is just as mean. Course I like the idea of buying a sledge hammered a collapsible staff for concealabilty. But having blunt weapons that can compete with the claymore and combat axe in my opinion is a must.
Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful I just think clubs need more flavor when they are historically used for anti armor.
« Last Edit: <02-23-16/2134:42> by zeththeadeptork »
"Speech" Matrix Thought Astral

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-24-16/0050:25> »
Keep in mind that armor then and armor now are radically different.

Warhammers and the like where devised to beat pate armor, solid curved steel designed to deflect sword blows and arrows. Blunt weapons where effective because they could cause internal injury without needing to penetrate the armor, a heavy blow from something like a hammer on a joint could not only injure the joint, but bend the metal out of shape rendering articulated joints practically immobile.

Modern armor on the other hand is mostly designed around slowing and spreading impacts, particularly from bullets. By spreading the impact force over a much wider area it's much better at absorbing the kinetic energy of a bullet. Against this type of armor blunt weapons like maces and hammers aren't as effective because just like a bullet they rely on kinetic energy rather than a cutting edge.

As for statting a maul... grab a Sledge Hammer and put a Personalized Grip on it.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-24-16/0613:41> »
I think if you want them to be more competitive vs blades you will need to house rule it. If you think it would make for a better game I don't think it's a big deal to give all clubs an extra -1AP or -2AP for the two handers. Personally, I find it disappointing that clubs are statistically inferior to blades in Shadowrun, realistic as it may be, it makes most players not want to use them. I do use clubs and have fun with them but I wish they were better.

There is also the possibility of having a custom warhammer made from a new super material that is very scarce. This material could give extra AP but almost nobody would have any.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-24-16/0834:30> »
If I were statting club weapons made from modern materials, I'd probably go with less raw damage and more -AP, compared to blades.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-24-16/1226:32> »

Warhammers and the like where devised to beat pate armor, solid curved steel designed to deflect sword blows and arrows. Blunt weapons where effective because they could cause internal injury without needing to penetrate the armor
as below

Hammers tenderized the flavor right into the sucker, but ya just look at the blades list and rename the stuff example instead of combat axe combat (seldge)hammer actually its in run n gun for 40¥
« Last Edit: <02-24-16/1228:55> by Rooks »

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-24-16/1322:56> »
Some mechanical differentiation would be nice. Though now I'm torn on whether clubs should have more raw DV or -AP than blades. Hmm.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-24-16/1406:59> »
most benefits is most of them arent R avail as opposed to blades save for the stun baton that only does stun damage while the rest do physical

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-24-16/1625:19> »

Warhammers and the like where devised to beat pate armor, solid curved steel designed to deflect sword blows and arrows. Blunt weapons where effective because they could cause internal injury without needing to penetrate the armor
as below

Hammers tenderized the flavor right into the sucker, but ya just look at the blades list and rename the stuff example instead of combat axe combat (seldge)hammer actually its in run n gun for 40¥

. . .

I've never understood this reaction to what is an obvious and very minor error when it is clear what the intended meaning was.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Strange

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <02-24-16/1636:00> »
It's funny. Especially to the guy who posts it!

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-24-16/1638:44> »

*shrugs*

To me it comes across as "Ha! You made a mistake! Your post is stupid and irrelevant so I'm going to make fun of it because of that and totally ignore the intended meaning."
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

zeththeadeptork

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <02-24-16/2000:10> »
Okay so I'm going to talk to the gm and see if we can add a little so there is a reason to use it.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <02-24-16/2114:16> »

*shrugs*

To me it comes across as "Ha! You made a mistake! Your post is stupid and irrelevant so I'm going to make fun of it because of that and totally ignore the intended meaning."

bangbangtequila

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <02-25-16/2124:18> »
In terms of creating a better blunt, using the better understanding of physics and made up technobabble available to use is necessary. Memory-steel combined with a flexible handle would seriously crank up the available force, allowing for a "super-sledge". Likewise, applying a wireless enabled super-magnet would make this incredibly powerful against 'wared up enemies. Another viable option, for a large cost, would be an impulse drive attached the back. Rocket-hammer!

The very thin headed warhammers used in the late medieval wars actually did penetrate plate armour, as did flanged maces, by focussing a massive amount of inertia on a small area. This would still be very effective on modern armours, by either punching through if they have a sharp tip (a pick-like hammer) or just transferring enough focussed force to crush whatever is on the other side.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

zeththeadeptork

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <02-26-16/0859:16> »
Thank you bangbang my thoughts are hammers and maxes even against modern armor will do serious damage consider I g a flak vest only protects against peirci g of the bullet there are many cases of broken ribs and deep bruises. Now let a str 10 troll with a warhammer hit you what do you think?