NEWS

[SR6] First Aid vs Medkit healing

• 12 Replies

ZeroSum

• Omae
« on: <10-09-19/0615:36> »
Not sure if this has already been answered, but I was not able to find anything using the search function.

SR6 differentiates between First Aid and Medkit healing, and First Aid specifically states that:
Quote from: SR6 p. 119
To apply First Aid, a character needs the right tools for the job, in this case a first aid kit.

This could be one of two things; a toolkit [first aid], or a medkit. The way it's written, and the fact that medkits are detailed in a separate paragraph, leads me to believe that you need the former.

Am I reading too much into the "first aid kit" wording?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <10-09-19/0632:00> »
"The medkit counts as Kit for Biotech tests." Says p281. Since Kits are 500 nuyen, I'd argue a rating 1 medkit (not sure if errata will touch on medkit ratings) won't suffice for First Aid. On the other hand, First Aid doesn't cost supplies, while the Medkit treatment consumes supplies.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-09-19/0708:36> »
I missed the part where medkits count as kits, thanks for pointing that out. By that logic, from a RAW perspective all you need is a medkit (of any rating) to perform First Aid, as this would be a Biotech test.

RAW aside, I agree that it is somewhat unusual that First Aid can potentially be done with a 250 nuyen kit when toolkits used with other skills are 500 nuyen, However, I think the intent behind this rule could be taking into account the likelihood that someone who uses First Aid will also likely be using Medkit healing, and as such they will need to continue buying supplies.

Since Medkits can store 5 additional batches of supplies, one could argue that the more likely cost of a "first aid kit" is somewhere in the range of 250 to 750 nuyen, and unlike kits used for other tests Medkits will continue costing money over time. Until parts are introduced, no such extra cost exists for using kits with other skills; personally, I think that's a fair balancing mechanism.

EDIT:
Actually, a Lockpick Set is also 250 nuyen and applies to a specific situation (Engineering + Agility to defeat a mechanical lock), so I think a Rating 1 Medkit to perform a very specific action (Biotech + Logic to apply First Aid healing) is perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: <10-09-19/0714:35> by ZeroSum »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <10-09-19/0745:24> »
The rules only say you spend Supplies when using Medkit healing, not First Aid.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-09-19/0748:35> »
Agreed, which is why I specified that:
However, I think the intent behind this rule could be taking into account the likelihood that someone who uses First Aid will also likely be using Medkit healing, and as such they will need to continue buying supplies.

Again, though, as per the edit, consider the cost of the Lockpick Set; it is very similar in usage (specific sub-set of a skill usage), and RAW is pretty unequivocal here (first aid requires a kit, medkits count as kits for biotech tests, first aid is a biotech test; QED).

You are free to house rule what you want, but I personally don't think it's necessary given the existence of lockpick sets as a precedent.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-09-19/0841:16> »
Going strictly by RAW you would use a rating 1 medkit for both first aid as well as medkit treatment (but each medkit treatment will also consume a batch of medical supplies which cost 100 nuyen). If you enable wireless you will receive a positive dice pool modifier of 1 dice on your healing related biotech test.

If I had been the author (or part of the errata team) I would have done One of the following Three set of changes:

1 ::

Added description of First aid kit to p. 281
Changed description of medkit on p. 281 to reflect that it is only used for medkit treatment related healing tests.
Added First aid kit to table at p. 282 with both availability and price set to: "As Kit, see p. 274".
Changed wireless bonus of Medkit on p. 282 to "The medkit provides a +1 dice pool modifier per rating..."

2 ::

Changed "first aid kit" in First Aid on p. 119 to "Medkit"
Clarified description of medkit on p. 282 that it is also used for first aid treatment
Removed rating from medkit in the table on p. 282
Medkit availability and price in the table on p. 282 set to: "As Kit, see p. 274".

(from an errata point of view I think this might be the best option)

3 ::

Renamed all references of "medkit" and "first aid kit" at p. 119, 281 and 282 to "Biotech Kit"
Biotech Kit availability and price in the table on p. 282 set to: "As Kit, see p. 274".

(from a streamlining point of view I think this would have been the best option for the original author)

Kirklins

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <10-09-19/2013:10> »
(snip)

Renamed all references of "medkit" and "first aid kit" at p. 119, 281 and 282 to "Biotech Kit"
Biotech Kit availability and price in the table on p. 282 set to: "As Kit, see p. 274".

(from a streamlining point of view I think this would have been the best option for the original author)

I kind of twitch at biotech kit. Largely because biotech encompasses so much more than first aid and medical assistance.
GM in training
for a long, long time now

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #7 on: <10-09-19/2112:53> »
(snip)

I kind of twitch at biotech kit. Largely because biotech encompasses so much more than first aid and medical assistance.

Hey now, a ubiquitous BIOTECH 9000 kit for all your biotech needs would be great! First test for First Aid, second test for Medicine, third test to repair your cyberware, and a fourth test to fix your bioware, all with the same kit. Just make sure you stock up on the equally ubiquitous "biotech supplies", the 100¥ cure for EVERYTHING* broken in you. Talk about streamlining!

*Mental/emotional trauma not covered by BIOTECH 9000. Cowboy up, omae.

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <10-09-19/2240:57> »
(snip)

Hey now, a ubiquitous BIOTECH 9000 kit for all your biotech needs would be great! First test for First Aid, second test for Medicine, third test to repair your cyberware, and a fourth test to fix your bioware, all with the same kit. Just make sure you stock up on the equally ubiquitous "biotech supplies", the 100¥ cure for EVERYTHING* broken in you. Talk about streamlining!

*Mental/emotional trauma not covered by BIOTECH 9000. Cowboy up, omae.

Nerps Medical 😁

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-10-19/0213:30> »
It was only one out of three suggestions.

Having said that;
You probably only need one single Electronics kit (or Engineering Kit) for everything Electronics (or Engineering) related, too.

...more advanced Biotech related stuff could require a Biotech Shop. And surgery or attending multiple patients etc could even require a Biotech Facility.

Also this;

SR6 p. 281 Medkit
The medkit counts as Kit for Biotech tests.
« Last Edit: <10-10-19/0215:41> by Xenon »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <10-10-19/0231:43> »
Incidentally, I consider Lockpicking far more rare than First Aid, so I'd argue they shouldn't cost the same. But that's a matter of detail. The intent appears to be you can use a Medkit both as professional Medkit, or simply as Biotech (aka First Aid) Kit. I can imagine simple First Aid Kits existing, but most people would use a Medkit. (Incidentally, you can use an out-of-supply Medkit for First Aid, since I guess there's still enough normal material for First Aid.)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-10-19/0251:19> »
At least until errata hit, the medkit seem to only cost 250 nuyen (and it seem to give you a positive dice pool modifier of 1 dice if wireless enabled) but it still seem to be valid for biotech related tests (such as first aid) while any other biotech kit (such as a specific first aid kit) seem to cost 500 nuyen (and does not seem to provide you with a positive dice pool modifier).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <10-10-19/0314:28> »
Which is why: