NEWS

Adepts and cyber/bio limbs

• 2 Replies

Zelte

• Newb
  • Are you SURE that you want to do THAT?
« on: <11-07-16/2137:34> »
This has probably been asked before, but why is a adept able to get cybernetic (or bio-engineered) limbs, etc. LOSE Essence from the augmentation BUT still able to channel adept mana through the limb and use their magic power???
I feel that augs and magic shouls not mix.
Is there a rule that explicitly days so one way or the other?

Techno mages cannot influence spirits.
Magicians can't hack devices.
RPG's don't lead to Satanism. They lead to Statistics and Chartered Accountancy. ...
Which is far worse.

deathwishjoe

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <11-07-16/2204:51> »
From what I remember there was a reference to cyber eyes and whether or not mages could use line of sight from them.  the Devs said yes because they had paid a portion of there soul for them via the essence loss.  extrapolating from this ruling adepts can use adept powers in conjunction with cyberlimbs for the same reason. I don't know where this is explicitly written but maybe this alternative case can help you find the ruling.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-08-16/0006:28> »
You pay for the implants through the expenditure of essence, which additionally adversely affects your Magic rating. But once you've paid those costs, the limb/organ/etc is a part of your body and is treated as such.

The example already given, Cybereyes, can be used to establish the necessary magical connection for a magician to cast spells.

Augmentations and magic don't mix well which is why loss of essence also causes loss of magic.