NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #570 on: <09-14-14/1834:42> »
Possible error calculating Essence Hole?

I sold my Standard Aluminum Bone Lacing at 20%, then purchased/installed Deltaware Titanium Bone Lacing. The result was a net gain in essence of .25 - so I should (I think?) have an Essence Hole of .25. But instead my Essence went up, and no Essence hole is indicated.

Cyberware total: 1.07 Ess (down from 1.32)
Bioware total: 2.52 Ess
Essence Hole: 0.00

Total Essence Remaining: 2.41 (having gone up from 2.17)

In the 4E version there was a "essence hole" implant you added to represent the missing essence. Is it not there in 5th?

-k

Attilatheyeon

• Newb
« Reply #571 on: <09-16-14/0311:53> »
I've noticed that the spirits tab and specialization don't always show the correct spirit types, especially for voodoo. Seems to be stuck on shaman spirits.

fyrebug72

• Newb
« Reply #572 on: <09-16-14/0855:31> »
I am having trouble with my skill points. Whenever I raise a skill it uses karma instead of my alotted skill points

8-bit

« Reply #573 on: <09-16-14/1056:18> »
I noticed that Dwarves cannot take the Resistance to Toxins/Pathogens quality. This is possibly an error in making the Dwarf's racial bonus a quality? Thread here - http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18020.0;topicseen

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #574 on: <09-16-14/1402:08> »
I am having trouble with my skill points. Whenever I raise a skill it uses karma instead of my alotted skill points
I apologize if you have already considered this, but you didn't provide details so I have to make some assumptions. There are two columns for adjusting your skill rating - one is for spending points and one is for spending karma, so make sure you are using the correct one. Also, if you are in career mode, you no longer have the option of spending skill points.

If none of those are the solution, you'll probably have to send Adam your character as it would be VERY weird for you to be raising the value in the skill points column and it spending karma. Only think I can think is are you using a recent version since the earlier versions didn't give you the two columns and used an algorithm that selected how to optimally buy skills using karma and skill points, but even then only dipped into karma once all of your skill points were used.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #575 on: <09-20-14/0112:42> »
I found a couple things:

1.  If you add a weapon to a vehicle or a drone then remove it the weapon description remains in the information area on the right.  It doesn't appear to affect the character sheet but it is confusing to look at.
2.  I believe I saw earlier that you include the "free" point of recoil in the weapon stats.  That doesn't work for vehicle/drones.  They get their BODY in RC plus any applicable RC from the weapon.  Also if you could split the base RC from the conditional RC (e.g. bipods for example) it makes weapon selection for drones and vehicles a lot easier.
3.  When I add both The Beast's Way and Mentor Spirit as positive qualities it only counts The Beast's Way against my karma costs. 
4. Not sure if this is an issue but you can't add accessories to slide mounts on weapons.  I don't know if that is intentional or not. 

Over all much kudos to you and your predecessor.  This is a pretty smooth functioning piece of software!

Edit:  Never mind on item #3.  I see why it works that way now. 
« Last Edit: <09-20-14/1412:50> by jim1701 »

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #576 on: <09-21-14/0134:19> »
A member of my gaming group that uses Chummerfor his Rigger said that the Smart Firing Platform (pg 433 core rulebook) doesn't show up in his list of drones.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #577 on: <09-21-14/0859:58> »
A member of my gaming group that uses Chummerfor his Rigger said that the Smart Firing Platform (pg 433 core rulebook) doesn't show up in his list of drones.
I don't think that counts as a drone since you can't jump into it, just remote control it.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #578 on: <09-21-14/1134:34> »
I don't think that counts as a drone since you can't jump into it, just remote control it.
Even without a rigger interface, it should still count as a drone...

Quote from: SR Core Rulebook, pg 433
Wireless: You can fire the mounted weapon remotely (Control Device, p. 238), like a drone with no rigger interface.

Off-topic question: Can you add a rigger interface to a smart firing platform?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #579 on: <09-21-14/1201:43> »
Even without a rigger interface, it should still count as a drone...

Quote from: SR Core Rulebook, pg 433
Wireless: You can fire the mounted weapon remotely (Control Device, p. 238), like a drone with no rigger interface.

Off-topic question: Can you add a rigger interface to a smart firing platform?
Do vehicles appear in the drone category?
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Adam

« Reply #580 on: <09-22-14/1502:35> »
I'm alive! Whew... work reared its ugly head and I was not only going full tilt during regular office hours but I was having to pull 11 and 12 hour days there for a while.  But it seems that things have calmed back down and I'll be able to put in some hours on Chummer again. I'm trying to wrap up the spirit update and with it a number of bug fixes from things you folks have found in the last week.

Let me go through the list of things y'all have asked about.

More feature requests (cause I know you love these when you are knee deep in a major update):
1. Options for "High Life" (2 from category A and no E) and "Low Life" (No A and 2 from category E) chargen. This seems to be a fairly common house rule from what I've seen in character comment threads and PbP. Might be easier have an option just to allow the arbitrary selection of priorities rather than forcing you to one of each or adding two different priority election methods.
2. Something like PACKS, but for gear mods. Sensor suites and optical/auditory enhancements often either have a few common elements that a given player always likes to include but then add to or maybe even a complete set requiring no modification that they use often. This comes up often for me when adding drones and modifying the sensors in the sensor array, but I've seen gun bunnies with a large array of guns that have two or three mods that are the same on each gun.

The first is probably simple to add (just have a flag disable the auto swapping of priorities code), the second might be a more significant undertaking. Neither is particularly high-priority, but I just wanted to get them in your queue.

1. I've actually got both of those in my queue plus the ability to define custom priority sets (AABBC as an example). Probably after I've finished the character sheet update.
2. Let me think about that one.  I know that for myself, what I did when faced with the same thing is to create a character I called Weapons Locker.  Any time I created a detailed piece of gear or a tricked out drone or vehicle, was to copy it and paste it into Weapons Locker.  That meant all my reusable stuff was on one character I could copy and paste from.  I realize it's not exactly what you're looking for but it might help some.  In the meantime, let me think on it and see if I can find some way to make it work in Chummer.

Adam, I'm certain this has been asked before, but...

Could you add a list of Priorities to the Export file, at least for the Text version?

When you say "Export File" I assume you're meaning the character sheet? It's now stored in the character file although there was a bug in that code for several versions before I found it and got it fixed so that it wasn't saving the values.  Basically any character created after about 5.135 should have the info stored in it.  The text only character sheet will show it if the information is available. Unfortunately there's not a way for me to recover that information automatically in characters created before that.

A most humble feature request as well (despite wanting to do this for quite a while now, I haven't glance at the code even once, so this might, or might not be trivial). Would it be possible to allow adding multiple spare clips to a weapon, or at least streamline the process a bit?

My players have honestly surprised me that they've actually went the blank trenchcoat way in creating their characters (I still remember our old D&D sessions; it must simply be that everyone's 3X+ now), but even a non-wired, work-in-the-shadows professional must consider fighting a few bad guys from time to time, so a few spare clips/weapon are a must.

That's another item that is already on my list (along with the ability to buy weapon accessories as gear so you could for example keep a spare silencer stowed away somewhere).  For the time being, you can buy spare clips as gear and then buy the ammo as a plugin to the clip.  I know it isn't optimal but I'm hoping the new character sheets will help resolve the issue.

Possible error calculating Essence Hole?

I sold my Standard Aluminum Bone Lacing at 20%, then purchased/installed Deltaware Titanium Bone Lacing. The result was a net gain in essence of .25 - so I should (I think?) have an Essence Hole of .25. But instead my Essence went up, and no Essence hole is indicated.

Cyberware total: 1.07 Ess (down from 1.32)
Bioware total: 2.52 Ess
Essence Hole: 0.00

Total Essence Remaining: 2.41 (having gone up from 2.17)

As it stands right now, Chummer doesn't track your Essence Hole. But you're right in that it should. I'll put it on my to do list.

Adam:

Under gear, disguise, uniforms: I get an error when I try to purchase a uniform. It says the string isn't correct and crashes.

Thanks,

Very good catch. I'll try to have that fixed in the next build.

I noticed that Dwarves cannot take the Resistance to Toxins/Pathogens quality. This is possibly an error in making the Dwarf's racial bonus a quality? Thread here - http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18020.0;topicseen

This has already been addressed for the next build. Chummer was incorrectly using the Resistance to Toxins/Pathogens quality to represent the racial resistance to toxins and pathogens.  With the next build it will start using a new "quality" to represent dwarven racial resistance rather than the Resistance to Toxins and Pathogens quality.... it is even backward compatible so it will retroactively fix any existing characters.  Sorry about the inconvenience.

I apologize if you have already considered this, but you didn't provide details so I have to make some assumptions. There are two columns for adjusting your skill rating - one is for spending points and one is for spending karma, so make sure you are using the correct one. Also, if you are in career mode, you no longer have the option of spending skill points.

If none of those are the solution, you'll probably have to send Adam your character as it would be VERY weird for you to be raising the value in the skill points column and it spending karma. Only think I can think is are you using a recent version since the earlier versions didn't give you the two columns and used an algorithm that selected how to optimally buy skills using karma and skill points, but even then only dipped into karma once all of your skill points were used.

Agreed. The left column uses skill points and the right column uses karma.  If you are still having a problem, send me a copy of your character with instructions on what you're doing so I can either duplicate the problem or possibly see if there's something unexpected you're doing that is triggering the problem.  srchummer5@gmail.com

I've noticed that the spirits tab and specialization don't always show the correct spirit types, especially for voodoo. Seems to be stuck on shaman spirits.

The whole way spirits are handled has been replaced (there's a new Spirits tab that entirely replaces the spirits list) so I'm pretty sure I've killed that particular bug but I'll triple check.  This will be available with the next build.

I found a couple things:

1.  If you add a weapon to a vehicle or a drone then remove it the weapon description remains in the information area on the right.  It doesn't appear to affect the character sheet but it is confusing to look at.
2.  I believe I saw earlier that you include the "free" point of recoil in the weapon stats.  That doesn't work for vehicle/drones.  They get their BODY in RC plus any applicable RC from the weapon.  Also if you could split the base RC from the conditional RC (e.g. bipods for example) it makes weapon selection for drones and vehicles a lot easier.
3.  When I add both The Beast's Way and Mentor Spirit as positive qualities it only counts The Beast's Way against my karma costs. 
4. Not sure if this is an issue but you can't add accessories to slide mounts on weapons.  I don't know if that is intentional or not. 

Over all much kudos to you and your predecessor.  This is a pretty smooth functioning piece of software!

Edit:  Never mind on item #3.  I see why it works that way now. 

1. Good catch. I'll try to get it resolved soon but it probably won't be in the next build.
2. Hmmm... I'll try to get that fix in when I work on drones and vehicles for the upcoming character sheet changes.
4. Not really intentional but also not fully fleshed out.  Optimally you could have several options to put on slide mounts with only one of them active at a time.  Might come into play with the item listed above about being able to buy weapon accessories as gear.

Nominally they're not really drones because you can't jump into them... but from an organizational stand point I can see why you might want it with your drones especially as they have many of the same stats as drones.  I'll put this on my to do list when working on drones and vehicles (which you might have noticed from the above items is getting a bit lengthy).

Sorry for being out of touch for a bit... I'll be trying to get the next build out this week.  Thank you all for your patience and encouragement.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #581 on: <09-22-14/1523:41> »
You've been doing an amazing job, seriously, and I don't think you could be thanked enough.

I haven't been following this thread, so if this error has already been mentioned I apologize.  When buying the Mortimer of London Greatcoat Coat (what a name), even though it's the only armor I'm wearing, it still treats it as if I have a +3 accessory on (and thus at 1 STR, I get a -1 to AGI).  Also in the purchase menu, it only displays the armor as "+3", but I doubt that's an error so much as just something you haven't totally worked out yet.

I would assume this works the same way for all the similar coats like the Argentum and what not?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Zwischenzug

« Reply #582 on: <09-22-14/1530:42> »
Huge thanks for putting this together!

Two notes:
1. After downloading the last version, it seems my autoupdate feature is no longer working. I get the following message:
An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 3, position 244.

2. Contacts seem to be limited to Connection Rating 6; this is likely a hold-over from SR4, as Connection Rating can go to 12 in SR5.

Thanks again, this makes character building so much easier.

8-bit

« Reply #583 on: <09-22-14/2301:22> »
I'm alive! Whew... work reared its ugly head and I was not only going full tilt during regular office hours but I was having to pull 11 and 12 hour days there for a while.  But it seems that things have calmed back down and I'll be able to put in some hours on Chummer again. I'm trying to wrap up the spirit update and with it a number of bug fixes from things you folks have found in the last week.

This has already been addressed for the next build. Chummer was incorrectly using the Resistance to Toxins/Pathogens quality to represent the racial resistance to toxins and pathogens.  With the next build it will start using a new "quality" to represent dwarven racial resistance rather than the Resistance to Toxins and Pathogens quality.... it is even backward compatible so it will retroactively fix any existing characters.  Sorry about the inconvenience.

Sorry for being out of touch for a bit... I'll be trying to get the next build out this week.  Thank you all for your patience and encouragement.

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions! I would also like to thank you for making Chummer; I have created so many characters with it that would have been a nightmare to make otherwise. We all can understand real life getting in the way, but I'm glad you could find the time to answer our questions. You've done such a great job, and thank you again for making Chummer.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #584 on: <09-23-14/1332:24> »
Bug report:  I'm using version 5.139.  "check for updates" causes error.  Unhandled exception.  An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line3. position 244.

Also negative qualities allow karma greater than 25.  IIRC, in the previous builds you could take more negative qualities, but could only receive 25 karma max.

Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms