NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #540 on: <09-02-14/0136:33> »
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: J:\Files\Gaming\charactersheets\Chummer5.115\Translator.exe

From the last time this occurred, I believe Adam said a fix was being worked on. The current work around is to reinstall, then update again.

I just copy the files in the zip file, then paste them into the Chummer directory, and let it overwrite the files. Then open Chummer and start the update. It's a pain, but until it's fixed, it's the only way I know of to get Chummer working again. My method allows me to keep my custom stuff and characters in place without having to move folders around.

-Ariketh

Adam

« Reply #541 on: <09-02-14/0654:26> »
Hrmm the Argentum Coat is still tanking my AGI/REA when it's the only armor I'm wearing.

Are you sure the coat isn't applying the +4 armor modifier bonus?  If so, that could cause the problem.

I think that what is happening here is that it is applying the 10 Armor bonus like it should but that the code that figures out the armor burden penalty based on having too much stacking armor is incorrectly seeing the Mortimer coats as stacking but when it's the main body armor like that... it's not.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: J:\Files\Gaming\charactersheets\Chummer5.115\Translator.exe

From the last time this occurred, I believe Adam said a fix was being worked on. The current work around is to reinstall, then update again.

I just copy the files in the zip file, then paste them into the Chummer directory, and let it overwrite the files. Then open Chummer and start the update. It's a pain, but until it's fixed, it's the only way I know of to get Chummer working again. My method allows me to keep my custom stuff and characters in place without having to move folders around.

-Ariketh

Yeah... this just became my task for the day. I'm really sorry about the annoyance. I think I may have figured out a way I can test this on my own machine (somewhat). Just want you to know that resolving this issue is my top priority.

Adam

« Reply #542 on: <09-02-14/1344:54> »
Also, I was wondering if you could have an Export option for basic text lines, that would be useful in PbP games. Or some form of web-friendly export.

It's in the short-term plan.  I'm working on three sheets:

The first is intended to be a new main character sheet. I won't remove the existing sheets named "Shadowrun 5" but the new sheet is meant to be a replacement for it.

The second is a GM sheet.  It uses the new format I've shown the mock-up for but is a one page sheet intended for the GM to use for NPC's and to get an abbreviated version of the player's character. And yes, it has condition monitors.

The third is a text only sheet.  This one will have a few options available including a pure text only sheet that could be copied into notepad if you like. Other options will include BBCode formatted versions formatted for this site and DumpShock given that those forums support BBCode. Shadowrun Universe doesn't support any post formatting that I can find so I'm exploring my options for that site.

There's one more I want to do but I don't know yet if I can... I'd like to do a formatted sheet export to Google Docs.  I'm only in the exploratory phase on this idea and trying to see what would be required to do it.

And there's one last character sheet related bit in the pipeline. It's my intention to add in an option to enforce Missions rules in terms of legal supplements, qualities, and so on. Once this option is available, Chummer will stamp the character sheet as "Missions Legal".  This is harder than it looks at first glance because if I'm going to stamp the sheet as "Missions Legal" it better darn well be legal.  But yeah, I get that it would be useful to Missions GMs and players if Chummer could help on that front.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #543 on: <09-05-14/0742:03> »
Has anyone rebuilt the character examples from SR5 in Chummer 5 yet? If so, I'd be interested in copies. Also: Is there a Chummer 5 character pool online somewhere?
Liber et infractus

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #544 on: <09-05-14/0803:10> »
Has anyone rebuilt the character examples from SR5 in Chummer 5 yet? If so, I'd be interested in copies. Also: Is there a Chummer 5 character pool online somewhere?
Do you mean the 'archetype' sample characters, or the "here's how character creation works" characters? Because I don't know about the second category, but the first are all incorrectly made due to rules-changes made after they were made.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #545 on: <09-05-14/1036:44> »
I wanted to know about the 'archetype' sample characters, I forgot how buggy they are. What about a character pool though?
Liber et infractus

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #546 on: <09-06-14/1318:19> »
The Shadowrun Missions folks had archetypes recreated in Hero Lab with the mistakes corrected at GenCon.  It shouldn't be too hard to get that information, and put it into Chummer.  FYI, the people recreating the archetypes tried to stay as close to the original version as possible, so don't expect amazingly optimized characters.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #547 on: <09-06-14/1337:47> »
I wanted to know about the 'archetype' sample characters, I forgot how buggy they are. What about a character pool though?
My understanding is that Chummer will (or may already) support an updated Omae Character Exchange (for 5E). I don't have an account on it, so I can't test, but if you go to Tools\Omae in Chummer, it brings up a dialog that allows you to log in and/or create a new account. Unless someone else chimes in saying that it for sure doesn't work, give it a shot and let us know - I'm pretty sure Adam would appreciate the feedback at the very least.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

MadDogMaddux

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Special Agent #132
« Reply #548 on: <09-06-14/1548:37> »
The Shadowrun Missions folks had archetypes recreated in Hero Lab with the mistakes corrected at GenCon.  It shouldn't be too hard to get that information, and put it into Chummer.  FYI, the people recreating the archetypes tried to stay as close to the original version as possible, so don't expect amazingly optimized characters.

Has anyone used both Chummer and Hero Lab? I've had people ask me what the difference is, but I'm not a Hero Lab user. So my response has been limited to "Chummer is a community supported effort built by fans, where as Hero Lab is a module sponsored by Catalyst for a program you have to buy."

I'm the sort of guy who goes to XDA to get new firmware for my cell-phone, as opposed to the provider, so Chummer appeals to my psyche, but beyond that I'm not sure how to talk about the differences intelligently. :P

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #549 on: <09-06-14/1856:34> »
I've used both - Chummer and Hero Lab offer the same basic functionality.  The interface for Chummer is more familiar to those who used Chummer in 4th edition.  The Hero Lab interface is more familiar to those that have used Hero Lab in the past.  Overall, I think the interface for Hero Lab is a little snazzier - the Chummer interface is utilitarian.  Chummer files are modified with XML, which is a commonly used language.  Hero Lab files are modified within their interface, which has a higher learning curve.  Chummer supports the building of NPCs and such, but Hero Lab does it a little better.  Chummer sheets have a wider variety than those of Hero Lab.

And the final point, which for some people is the most important.  Chummer is free, Hero Lab costs money for the basic program, and then for modules of content.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #550 on: <09-07-14/0032:37> »
And the final point, which for some people is the most important.  Chummer is free, Hero Lab costs money for the basic program, and then for modules of content.
The first module for HL is free, so if all you are using it for is SR, you only have to buy the main program. HOWEVER, each additional supplement (such as Street Grimoire or Run & Gun) has to be purchased separately, so my previous statement isn't entirely correct if you plan on using more than just the core rulebook.

As a bonus, HL can and does include flavor text and details from the book in descriptions of items, spells, forms, powers, etc. So it can save you some swapping between PDF/book and character management tool. Chummer can link to a PDF, so it's not so bad, but it's not all tidy in one window.

Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Adam

« Reply #551 on: <09-08-14/1657:17> »
I've never actually used Hero Lab, or seen it in use for that matter so I'm pretty limited when it comes to comparing the two.  I know that their licensing allows them to do things I simply cannot. They can quote text right out of the books and I presume their licensing gives them access to the writers to answer rules questions.  The two things people consistently compare to Hero Lab and want me to improve in Chummer (aside from quoting book text, that is #1 by far) is I hear they have a great tool for using Hero Lab during play and they have an interface for inserting custom items.  And I understand that Chummer's UI currently is pretty utilitarian by comparison. On the OS side of things, they have specific builds for Mac and iPad. And of course if you're also playing games other than Shadowrun, Hero Lab may have you covered there too.

Chummer's got a few things going for it that I feel Hero Lab may not but I'm not going to say anything that could even be implied as derogatory about someone that is making software for gamers. There aren't enough of us out there doing that.  As I understand it, they have a free trial available.  Given that Chummer is free, it gives you 30 days to try both and pick the one that works best for you.

For me, I'll stick with Chummer but then I'm probably a little biased.  I'm still busily working away... I'm a couple iterations in on adding fully detailed spirits and still have a few to go. It's been a lot of writing code and making mock-ups followed by ripping out the parts I don't like and rebuilding. But the progress is definitely forward. I've also started playing with early alpha builds of the dashboard Ed is working on for use during play.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #552 on: <09-08-14/1718:38> »
I don't believe there is a time limit for the Hero Labs demo, simply a restriction on saving and printing characters.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #553 on: <09-09-14/1056:54> »
One thing about Chummer...it installs and runs from a portable drive...HL does not.

nylanfs

• Chummer
« Reply #554 on: <09-09-14/1409:42> »
Adam, there's a tablet/phone app developer that has made a interactive character sheet app for both Herolab and PCGen. I've pointed him at this thread because he's indicated some interest in making an app that could support SR Herolab characters.

dysfunctionalapps.blogspot.co.uk/