NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

Cynewulf

• Newb
« Reply #165 on: <07-13-14/0924:07> »
I can tell you what's happening but I'm not sure if it is correct.  In short, Knucks (like Shock Gloves) aren't benefiting from bonuses to the wielder's Unarmed Attack damage. RAW, the bone lacing says that it changes the character's unarmed attack damage... it doesn't say it adds a bonus to it. And Knucks say that they are a STR+1 weapon... not that they do Unarmed Attack damage +1.

But I can totally understand looking at Knucks and thinking that they should improve your Unarmed Attack damage by one.  So what I'm going to try to do is add an optional rule that allows the user to determine if Knucks should benefit from bonuses to Unarmed Attack damage because I don't know that there is a "right" answer on this one, just different interpretations.

I think that's probably the most prudent choice and it sets a good precident for any future issues.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #166 on: <07-13-14/0942:18> »
My Windows 8 warns me of executing Chummer 5 Built 119. It had no issues with 117 however and I can start it manually. Any thoughts on that?
Liber et infractus

Adam

« Reply #167 on: <07-13-14/1011:17> »
My Windows 8 warns me of executing Chummer 5 Built 119. It had no issues with 117 however and I can start it manually. Any thoughts on that?

I would assume that it is because build 118 reintroduced Chummer's auto-update and Check for Updates under the Tools menu. As it can now download files (including its own executable), it may be throwing up a warning on it.  I'm running Windows 7 on my box but I have access to one with Windows 8.  I'll see what I can do to ease Windows' mind.

And this is as good a point as any to remind folks that the full source code is available at https://code.google.com/p/chummer5/ for anyone to take a look as they like.

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #168 on: <07-13-14/1019:01> »
Well, I've got two options for ya...

1 - Take a page from a very sentimental movie and pay it forward. Do something nice for someone or make a donation to a charity that could really use it. 

I would do that, but the charity I had in mind won't even accept donations to cover their administrative overhead for their work.   ;)

But I really do appreciate the thanks... feels damn good and that's worth a lot to me.

No problem.  If you're feeling drained, just give a holler and I'll blow some more sunshine up your backside.  (A cold beer works better for me, but whatever floats your boat.)   :D

2 - I just posted a thread in the Homebrew PACKs forum soliciting submissions and ideas for new PACKS for inclusion with Chummer5. Get creative, come up with some good PACKs, and you too can build something for Chummer5. No programming skill required.  ;D
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17338.0 

Well, my free dollars generally outnumber my free minutes in any given day, but if that's your request, I'll see what I can do with this.  I have some questions, but I'll post them in the PACKs thread.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #169 on: <07-13-14/1020:45> »
I would assume that it is because build 118 reintroduced Chummer's auto-update and Check for Updates under the Tools menu. As it can now download files (including its own executable), it may be throwing up a warning on it.  I'm running Windows 7 on my box but I have access to one with Windows 8.  I'll see what I can do to ease Windows' mind.

Sounds good. It worked like a charm, when I tried it anyway. :) Thanks for the great work.
Liber et infractus

Adam

« Reply #170 on: <07-13-14/1114:15> »
Here's the build I promised this morning...

Build 5.120 (beta)
- Updated the counters on the Build Summary tab to go into negative values if you use karma to overspend.  So if you have 3 contact points and add a 2/2 contact, it'll show "-1 of 3".
- Replaced the karma calculation for over-spending on Knowledge Skills. In short, the old mechanism was what was built in original Chummer and made you pay for the most expensive Knowledge Skill point from any of your Knowledge Skills when you went over. The new mechanism works just as the Active Skills (and Attributes) does meaning it looks for the cheapest possible option.  So if you had four points of Knowledge skills available and put 4 in skill A and 1 in skill B, the old method would charge you for raising skill A from 3 to 4 while the new method charges you to raise skill B to 1 (figuring out that the cheapest method is to put those four free points in skill A and pay karma for B).  This means that if you have an existing character still in character creation mode that spent karma on Knowledge Skills, you'll likely get some karma back.
- Fixed a bug that was incorrectly calculating your spent contact points.
- Fixing an issue with auto-update. I think this will stabilize auto-update and handle broken downloads better but I won't know for sure until we try.
- Fixed the price of the Redundant Power Supply.
- Changed Ares Predator V from External to Internal Smartgun System. This change will only apply on newly purchased Predators.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #171 on: <07-13-14/1116:19> »
Found one minor bug.  I get an Unhandled exception when I attempt to add Binoculars, Optical to my character.

Adam

« Reply #172 on: <07-13-14/1119:58> »
Found one minor bug.  I get an Unhandled exception when I attempt to add Binoculars, Optical to my character.

Thanks for the report... I'll get them fixed for the 5.121 build.

Adam

« Reply #173 on: <07-13-14/1120:56> »
This morning I released my 20th build of Chummer5 for folks to play with... 8 during alpha and 12 so far during beta.  And I guess this is as good a time as any to give a "state of the Chummer" post.

In the 10 days since the first beta release, I've fixed around 150 bugs (good that they're fixed, bad that there were 150 of them), added 4 sourcebooks (Street Grimoire, Bullets & Bandages, Sail Away Sweet Sister, and Stolen Souls), and started in on the unfinished items including character sheets, Street Level/Prime Runner creation, and with this morning's build Knowledge Skill calculation using the optimal path as well.

And there's still a lot on the to-do list.  I want to share the list just so you have an idea of where I'm seeing Chummer going and to get feedback.  For some of these items I'll be soliciting contributions from you fine people like new PACKs and house rules.  Aside from bugs I keep two to-do lists, the first is for smaller items that have been suggested, the second is for big-ticket items that will require a bit more heavy lifting to get them included.

Small Features
- Wherever possible replace text entries with dropdowns such as Codeslinger actions, Home Ground locations, Spirit Affinity and Spirit Bane spirits, and so on.
- Optional Rule to allow Guts to grant +2 to Composure.
- Have Spellcasting Foci show their bonus on spells of the appropriate school.
- Add an optional or house rule to allow cyberlimbs (particularly cyberlegs) to affect Movement Speed.
- Investigate the DV's for Critter Form and Shapechange (they appear to be swapped in the sourcebook).
- Investigate allowing Dwarfs to purchase the Resistance to Pathogens or Toxins as a quality in addition to their metatype bonus.
- Add defensive stats (Dodge, Full Defense, etc...) to the character sheets near the Armor values.
- Add a tooltip to Accuracy to show how it is calculated.
- Add the other campaign options such as Street Scum and High Life. While doing this make provision for custom priority options like say ABBCC.

Big Items
- Apply limits to gear ratings during character creation.
- Implement the translation ID's from Chummer 2. (Chummer 2 being the partially completed update to Chummer that Nebular was working on.) And once these are implemented, begin work on the foreign language translations.
- Re-enable the Optional Rules and House Rules.  Optional rules will be pulled from the books, House Rules will be solicited from the community.
- Reintroduce PACKs. I've already asked for solicitations... please jump in and contribute. http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17338.0
- Do what I can to fix issues with Chummer when running with Mono for Linux support.
- Add the ability to have multiple skill specializations on the same skill in career mode.
- Try to add the ability to unbreak skill groups.
- Add error logging throughout Chummer to help me find and fix bugs.
- Try to fix the "disappearing tooltip" problem. In addition, I've got a few enhancements I'd like to make to the tooltips like giving the option to not have them timeout.
- Add the ability to buy weapon accessories as gear so you can stash them away. (The example given to me was buying a silencer and a few clips and putting them in an inventory location.)
- Either fix or ditch the Critter creation and Karma build options.  I think there's potentially a use for these by GM's as they allow for more freeform building of an NPC even though they're not official rules.
- Add in support of Wireless bonuses. These will likely be collected into a single box on the character sheet so you can track your bonuses and your exposure.
- Add better support for using Chummer during play. This would include things like tracking drug effects and other temporary stat changers.
- And finally, a pet project of mine... adding a "Cross-reference" tab. This would allow you to select a particular bonus and based on that selection it would show you everything that can provide that bonus using the XML data files as a source.  So if you wanted to see every item, power, quality, spell, and so on that could grant you a bonus to Initiative... here's the list.

I'll be adding these in as I can.  Some of the big items are things that may take a week or more just for a single item, so please be patient.  But I wanted y'all to know what's coming and what I'll be working on and most importantly that when you send in a feature request, I may not get to it for a while but I'm definitely not ignoring them.

Chaozmager

• Newb
« Reply #174 on: <07-13-14/1132:33> »
I get an Unhandled exception, when I click on an attachment/add on to my guns when in career mode O.o?

Adam

« Reply #175 on: <07-13-14/1140:12> »
I get an Unhandled exception, when I click on an attachment/add on to my guns when in career mode O.o?

Could you send me a copy of your character file? It's probably either the weapon or the accessory that is triggering it.
srchummer5@gmail.com

Chaozmager

• Newb
« Reply #176 on: <07-13-14/1153:51> »

Could you send me a copy of your character file? It's probably either the weapon or the accessory that is triggering it.
srchummer5@gmail.com
Sent it with an example but seems to happen the same for all weapon accessories I try :o

celondon

• Chummer
« Reply #177 on: <07-13-14/1205:08> »
Probably an easy one:

Under Fake License: There is no "Medical License" option. How's I supposed to be a "Legit Street Doc" without a Fake License hanging on my shingle? :)
Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!

Adam

« Reply #178 on: <07-13-14/1303:27> »
Quickie update... (and it's got the Medical License as well)

Build 5.121 (beta)
- Fixed a bug that was preventing purchase of Binoculars (both digital and optical).
- Fixed a bug that was causing a soft crash when clicking on a weapon accessory.

nimmerlicht

• Newb
« Reply #179 on: <07-13-14/1305:17> »
Hi Adam, first off, thanks for all your great work! Really made it easier for our whole group to start our first Shadowrun round  :)

I think, I found a little mistake: Mentor Spirit (Raven) gives Free Traceless Walk OR 1 level of voice control (at least, if there wasn't an errata since I bought my rulebook^^).

There are also some issues when you use the german version of the programm, but I assume this won't be your first priority. English works just excellent  8)