NEWS

S6 Increase Attribute and Astral Projection

• 13 Replies

markelphoenix

• Omae
« on: <08-02-20/2029:40> »
Saw this pop up in a separate topic. What is the RAW on this? Do we have the author on magic section to provide RAI? I've seen interpretations both ways.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-02-20/2040:45> »
aside from having to abide by the augmented limit, there's no restrictions put on attribute bonuses.

That being said, the question of physical spells and astral projection is a thorny one.  One one hand, the spell only has to modify your brain, because your brain generates the mind/aura.  On the other hand, the aura can't be touched by physical spells after it leaves the body and therefore it can't benefit from increase attribute.

There's no official clarification on this. (nor was there for 5e, so the uncertainty is nothing new for this edition...)
« Last Edit: <08-02-20/2059:20> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-02-20/2156:56> »
aside from having to abide by the augmented limit, there's no restrictions put on attribute bonuses.

That being said, the question of physical spells and astral projection is a thorny one.  One one hand, the spell only has to modify your brain, because your brain generates the mind/aura.  On the other hand, the aura can't be touched by physical spells after it leaves the body and therefore it can't benefit from increase attribute.

There's no official clarification on this. (nor was there for 5e, so the uncertainty is nothing new for this edition...)

Do you know how it is played on Missions tables? On missions, if someone buffs themselves with Increase Attribute, then astraly project, do they get the benfit in their astral form?

Looking for something to go off of as far as one way or another, given to your point that it could be ruled either way. I think missions provides a fairly solid 'official stance' if it has come up.

For me, your astral form is statted from your physical mental attributes. If those attributes are buffed, then so is your astral form. Would like something more solid, though.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-02-20/2241:35> »

Do you know how it is played on Missions tables? On missions, if someone buffs themselves with Increase Attribute, then astraly project, do they get the benfit in their astral form?

Looking for something to go off of as far as one way or another, given to your point that it could be ruled either way. I think missions provides a fairly solid 'official stance' if it has come up.

For me, your astral form is statted from your physical mental attributes. If those attributes are buffed, then so is your astral form. Would like something more solid, though.

The SRM FAQ does answer this question for SRM purposes.  It's due to go fully public fairly soon... maybe this week.  It's not my place to say what that answer is before then.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-08-20/1205:19> »
Seems the mission faq went the way I wanted on this.  They carry over no matter the source. If your mage has 19 dice in their dodge pool and a attack pool of 15 or something in the astral they can actually engage in astral combat instead of just blasting away with spells.

Totally unrelated but I like how they handled impaired attribute. once per stat.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-08-20/1250:50> »
Seems the mission faq went the way I wanted on this.  They carry over no matter the source. If your mage has 19 dice in their dodge pool and a attack pool of 15 or something in the astral they can actually engage in astral combat instead of just blasting away with spells.

Totally unrelated but I like how they handled impaired attribute. once per stat.

Trying to parse once per stat, and that is only way I can interpret it than how it already is. To me, once per stat means you can have Impaired Attribute Strength 3, Impaired Attribute Charisma 3 and that would be legal, because you chose it once for two separate stats at different ranks....From what I read of RAW, that was pretty clear....sooo...am I missing something? Was there some question about it's ability to apply to multiple stats?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-08-20/1311:12> »
I read it yesterday so my memory may be off, but I think it was 1 rank per stat max.  So at most in a particular stat you could have strength -1, you could also have body -1, but you can't have strength -2.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <08-08-20/1315:52> »
The FAQ states it poorly, but "only take it once per Attribute" means '1 RANK max per Attribute'.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-08-20/1334:31> »
The FAQ states it poorly, but "only take it once per Attribute" means '1 RANK max per Attribute'.

Yes the SRM FAQ says you can buy Impaired Attribute several times, but only once per attribute.

Buying it, say, three times for one attribute (e.g. Strength -3) would only count as one quality, but it's still being bought three times.  SRM is adding another layer of restriction to prohibit purchasing this quality more than once for the same attribute.  In SRM you may buy Impaired Attribute twice, but if you do you must apply -1 to different attributes each time.  And it counts as a different quality each time it goes to a different attribute, out of your max 6 qualities you may choose.

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #9 on: <08-08-20/1357:21> »

It's disappointing that the bar for clear rules is so low.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-12-20/1159:09> »
Found this;

SR5 p. 314 While you were out
Mental detection and manipulation spells targeting the physical body of an astrally projecting mage simply do not work, although other spells do.
« Last Edit: <08-12-20/1211:47> by Xenon »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-12-20/1315:28> »
Found this;

SR5 p. 314 While you were out
Mental detection and manipulation spells targeting the physical body of an astrally projecting mage simply do not work, although other spells do.

So 5e had a round about way to confirm this. I think it makes sense, if you get shot the damage here would give you dice pool penalties in the astral.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-15-20/2232:37> »
Dumb question on this.  If you have these spells going, can people dispel them from your astral form or do they have to target your physical form.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-16-20/1002:42> »
Dumb question on this.  If you have these spells going, can people dispel them from your astral form or do they have to target your physical form.

Assuming physical spells can affect your astral form in the first place (and SRM's stance is 'yes, they can), then the spell must remain on your physical body.  It's Iimpossible for Physical spells to affect purely astral subjects, so it implicitly cannot "be on" your departed aura.
« Last Edit: <08-16-20/1005:55> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »