NEWS

SRM5 and Noise

• 18 Replies

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <09-24-13/1338:04> »
I just had a question. Something didn't seem quite kosher, so I thought I'd ask. In the version 1.0 errata, it says:

"Besides the background count, the CZ is a virtual nightmare for deckers and technomancers. The persistent low-level background radiation coupled with a distinct lack of modern matrix broadcasting equipment through the area results in a high level of constant background Noise that makes even basic matrix communication difficult. Noise levels will vary from area to area, but unless otherwise specified in the scene, assume a default Noise level of 2 anytime the characters are within the Containment Zone." (emphasis mine, obviously)

Now, going back to the core rules, under noise, it says on p.231 that a typical static zone would be "Abandoned neighborhood, barrens" and that the noise for that sort of area would be 2.

So it means the CZ is only as noisy as, say, Redmond or some other barrens area. So my question is: is the CZ really a virtual nightmare, since it seems that most of the area is a typical 2 noise? I'm not sure I'd consider that a "high level." Or is it really just another barrens area, which most deckers are already prepared for with a single program and a datajack negating any default noise being thrown at them by the adventures?

Or do you all just want me to shut up and stop being  pain? Because I'm good with that, too.  ;D
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <09-24-13/1341:39> »
Sounds like defaulting to barrens and changing to worse sometimes. Combined with other environmental, and distance, noise you'd start racking up penalties. Of course street sams lose out on wireless bonuses whenever the noise goes above average.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #2 on: <09-24-13/1610:37> »
2 is the minimum that should be assumed. It gets much worse in places.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-24-13/1946:08> »
A friend of mine likes Technomancers and wants to make one for his Season 5 Missions character.  What should I tell him?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <09-24-13/2000:37> »
To get the Resonance[Program] Echo asap for Signal Scrub, just like Adepts want to get Adept Centering asap. If you're lucky you get to play Sprawl Wilds or Firing Line first and can rack up some karma before you have to face a lot of Noise.

martinchaen

« Reply #5 on: <09-24-13/2025:56> »
So, would a datajack be of use to street sams? Seems like the 'jack won't affect things like smartguns (which go offline if Noise >= 3) installed in firearms, but they would likely affect cyberware installed in ones body.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-25-13/1940:51> »
All street sams should have one (or more) alphaware datajack and upgrade it right after character creation (IIRC beta is allowed in play). Datajacks have a wireless bonuses of providing one level of noise mitigation. This is presumably cumulative since ti doesn't say otherwise.

One alphaware datajack will keep all your regular cyberware functioning up into noise rating 3. Each one helps protect against an additional level of noise.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

martinchaen

« Reply #7 on: <09-26-13/0955:18> »
I've asked this question in the general SR5 FAQ, but figured I'd repeat it here;

Does Noise Reduction affect the Noise Rating threshold for device ratings?
I.e. at what Noise Rating will the smartgun system of a character with a Datajack cease to receive wireless bonuses? 3 (vs DR2), or 4 (vs DR2+1 NR)?

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-28-13/0741:37> »
Yes it does, seems pretty straight forward to me,  but I do wish they'd just come out and explicitly stated it. I blame it on the whole concept of wireless bonus being...well...half baked.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Pollution

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-30-13/1456:37> »
To get the Resonance[Program] Echo asap for Signal Scrub, just like Adepts want to get Adept Centering asap. If you're lucky you get to play Sprawl Wilds or Firing Line first and can rack up some karma before you have to face a lot of Noise.

Doesn't Resonance Channel remove Noise?  Or is that JUST for distance?

'Cause, i can see using Resonance Channel to connect to say....Aurora, IL's local grid and using THAT connect.  Sure you get the minus for sustaining, but it could beat out the Noise level.

Or am I smoking Crack here?

Deacon

• Newb
  • Call me... Deacon Blues
« Reply #10 on: <10-12-13/1158:47> »
Sounds like the answer is, like so many other problems with the wireless world, to remove all wireless capabilities and just stay wired like the old days.

Deckers and Technomancers get screwed, of course, but that's the impression I get about the wired world, that it's there to screw Deckers and Technomancers.  I had a new player who was interested in playing a Decker, but he found out about the Noise rules, and gave that idea up.  Way to go, SR5, for making it easier for the new player to get into the game.
"Of course I have a superpower.  It's called a brain.  I use it."
--Johnny Zero, Children of the Atom

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-12-13/1805:34> »
Sounds like the answer is, like so many other problems with the wireless world, to remove all wireless capabilities and just stay wired like the old days.

Deckers and Technomancers get screwed, of course, but that's the impression I get about the wired world, that it's there to screw Deckers and Technomancers.  I had a new player who was interested in playing a Decker, but he found out about the Noise rules, and gave that idea up.  Way to go, SR5, for making it easier for the new player to get into the game.

A decker is going to be using, at a minimum, a device rating 3 deck.  Add in a datajack and Signal Scrub and he's operating in Noise 6.  I haven't come across that level of Noise yet, but I imagine it will be extremely rare.  I suspect your prospective player didn't read all the rules.
« Last Edit: <10-12-13/1810:34> by Kincaid »
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-12-13/2107:44> »
Noise 6 is a free action away for any reasonably prepared shadowrunner.  It'll only get worse as more powerful directional jammers enter the campaign.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <10-13-13/0523:15> »
Noise 6 equals a -3 dice penalty for deckers, and that's from the runners' side. The things to hack probably won't be running that. A noise reduction of 3 should be plenty even in the CZ.

Deacon

• Newb
  • Call me... Deacon Blues
« Reply #14 on: <10-14-13/0432:54> »
A decker is going to be using, at a minimum, a device rating 3 deck.  Add in a datajack and Signal Scrub and he's operating in Noise 6.  I haven't come across that level of Noise yet, but I imagine it will be extremely rare.  I suspect your prospective player didn't read all the rules.
Yeah, the player had about twenty minutes to look through my book.  I don't see a lot of people with the 5th edition book as of yet -- that $60 price point is a real turn-off around here.  (Well, that and the local game shop only got in two copies -- and they were both reserved -- and one was mine.  ((Yes, I could have bought from online, but I try to support local game stores whenever I can..)) Having the first print run sell out so quickly isn't conducive to getting potential players to buy the book so they can understand the rules.)
"Of course I have a superpower.  It's called a brain.  I use it."
--Johnny Zero, Children of the Atom