NEWS

Fumbling around with a Combat Decker Idea, but I need some help

• 17 Replies

8-bit

« on: <09-24-14/2340:23> »
So, I really like the idea of a Decker with a lot of combat augmentations to make them actually viable in combat. I have run into a few problems though. The first is that the Priority system leaves me a little low on Attributes, but I feel like I am not suffering too much. The main problem is that I seem to be about 50,000 nuyen over my actual resource allotment. I'm reluctant to lower my deck any farther, or to drop any more augmentations. Here we go.

-------------------------

-- Priorities --
Metatype D (Elf)
Attributes C
Magic E
Skills B
Resources A

-- Karma Expenditure --
50 Total
-24 in Qualities
-10 for 20,000 nuyen
-2 for First Aid 1
-2 for Forgery 1
-2 for Armorer 1
-2 for Cybertechnology 1
-2 for Demolitions 1
-2 Biotechnology 1

4 Left (Haven't done Contacts yet)

-- Attributes --
Body 3
Agility 2
Reaction 1 (5)
Strength 1
Willpower 5
Logic 7 (9)
Intuition 5
Charisma 3
Edge 1
Essence 0.250

Initiative - 10 + 2d6
Initiative w/ Cram - 11 + 3d6
Physical Condition Monitor - 10
Stun Condition Monitor - 11
Physical Limit - 4
Mental Limit - 10
Social Limit - 4

-- Qualities --
Codeslinger - Hack on the Fly (-10 Karma)
Exceptional Attribute - Logic (-14 Karma)
Codeblock - Reboot Device (+10 Karma)
Corporate Limited SIN - Shiawase (+15 Karma)

-- Skills --
Electronics 5 - Dice pool of 14
Armorer 1 - Dice pool of 10
Biotechonology 1 - Dice pool of 10
Cybercombat 6 (+2 Devices) - Dice pool of 15 (17)
Cybertechonology 1 - Dice pool of 10
Demolitions 1 - Dice pool of 10
Electronic Warfare 6 - Dice pool of 15
First Aid 1 - Dice pool of 10
Forgery 1 - Dice pool of 10
Hacking 6 (+2 Devices) - Dice pool of 15 (17)
Longarms 6 (+2 Shotguns) - Dice pool of 8 (10) [Cyber Shotgun dice pool of 18]
Perception 2 (+2 Visual) - Dice pool of 7 (9)
Pistols 6 - Dice pool of 8

-- Knowledge/Language Skills --
TBD

-- Augmentations --

Datajack - Used - 750 nuyen | 0.125 Essence
Obvious Full Right Arm w/ Custom Agility 7, Custom Strength 6, Enhanced Agility 3, Enhanced Strength 2, Cyber Shotgun - Used - 68,250 nuyen | 1.25 Essence
Implanted Smartlink into Natural Eye - Used - 3,000 nuyen | 0.25 Essence
Reaction Enhancers 3 - Used - 29,250 nuyen | 1.125
Wired Reflexes 1 - Used - 29,250 nuyen | 2.5 Essence
Cerebral Booster 2 - Standard - 63,000 nuyen | 0.4 Essence
Sleep Regulator - Standard - 12,000 nuyen | 0.1 Essence

-- Gear --
Armor Jacket w/ Nonconductivity 6 - 2,500 nuyen
Savalette Guardian w/ Internal Smartgun System, Concealed Quickdraw Holster, Gas-Vent 3 System, 2 Spare Clips, Improved Range Finder - 3,755 nuyen
100 APDS Shotgun rounds, 100 Stick-n-shock Shotgun rounds, 100 Stick-n-shock Heavy Pistol rounds, 100 APDS Heavy Pistol Rounds - 4,000 nuyen
Biomonitor - 300 nuyen
Rating 6 Medkit - 1,500 nuyen
3 Meta Link Commlinks - 300 nuyen
Renraku Tsurugi Cyberdeck w/ All programs - 219,435 nuyen
3 Rating 6 Directional Jammers - 3,600 nuyen
Micro-transceiver - 100 nuyen
3 Rating 6 White Noise Generators - 900 nuyen
2 Rating 6 Bug Scanners - 1,200 nuyen
20 doses of Cram - 200 nuyen
2 Gold credsticks, 3 Silver credsticks - 260 nuyen
Rating 4 Fake SIN w/ Rating 4 Fake License (Enhanced Agility), Rating 4 Fake License (Enhanced Strength), Rating 4 Fake License (Cyber Shotgun), Rating 4 Fake License (Wired Reflexes), Rating 4 Fake License (Savalette Guardian), Rating 4 Fake License (Gas-vent 3 System), Rating 4 Fake License (Stick-n-shock), Rating 4 Fake License (Renraku Tsurugi Cyberdeck), Rating 4 Fake License (Bug Scanner), Rating 4 Fake License (Cram) - 18,000 nuyen
1 month of Middle Lifestyle w/ Special Work Area - 6,000 nuyen

Remaining Money - 2,450 + (4d6 x 100) nuyen

-------------------------

So, yeah. There it is. I really want to keep all of the augmentations, even the Wired Reflexes 2. It just fits in with my character concept. I'm just not sure what to drop to get that 50,000.
« Last Edit: <09-25-14/1126:46> by 8-bit »

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-25-14/0127:33> »
Despite your last line I suggest to change WR2 to WR1+used reaction enhancers 3. Minor drop in initiative but a boost in dodge, p. limit and piloting skills. Your physical limit is not so great and it means a lot in melee combat so why do you need so much strength in your arm? Do you really need ex. attribute? You can buy more edge and save 4 karma for contacts or skills. I'd also put at least 1 point to Software to deal with data bombs and hardware is useful too.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-25-14/0148:51> »
physical limit 3 is crippling for combat, unless maybe you go automatics, so you limit their defense with bursts.

1 point hardware/software are highly recommended.

Fitting a cybered arm and wired reflexes on someone who needs a good deck is rough business. Not sure its going to work out. I think going reaction enhancer and and lvl 1 wired is your best bet, and i believe will get to 4 physical limit as well.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-25-14/0158:28> »
also longarms skill rating not listed, but by math i am assuming at 6.

I checked math, reaction enhancers plus wr 1, would put you at 4 physical limit.

I believe it would completely solve your money deficit as well, saving you 53k.

8-bit

« Reply #4 on: <09-25-14/0251:30> »
Despite your last line I suggest to change WR2 to WR1+used reaction enhancers 3. Minor drop in initiative but a boost in dodge, p. limit and piloting skills. Your physical limit is not so great and it means a lot in melee combat so why do you need so much strength in your arm? Do you really need ex. attribute? You can buy more edge and save 4 karma for contacts or skills. I'd also put at least 1 point to Software to deal with data bombs and hardware is useful too.

I thought about it, but I decided against it, not for mechanical reasons, but for character background reasons. I'm envisioning a pretty hardcore decker who understands that, although he is good at decking, he needs to take every advantage he can get in the meat world. Hence Wired Reflexes at all and the Cyberarm and the Sleep Regulator. It's a rough world, can't be caught flat footed not being ready to defend yourself.

On physical limit. I didn't see a need for it to be high honestly. If this guy is trying to do unarmed combat, or run or something, the shit has hit the fan. He is a decker after all, albeit a fairly meatworld combat oriented one. When he's in VR, physical stuff doesn't matter, and he should be shooting which doesn't use physical limit at all. Yeah, it's not great, but I've made (and seen) plenty of low physical limit characters. It's no more crippling than low Mental or low Social limits. Just play to your strong points and try to not be in a situation where your weaknesses show up.

Strength in arm is because I can. It means anything I do with 1 arm is going to have a lot of strength, and I also get 4 points of Recoil compensation for just that arm. Since both weapons are single handed, that will benefit me quite a bit in my opinion. It's something that can be dropped if necessary.

Exceptional Attribute is not absolutely necessary, but it's nice to default to 8 dice (not that I think I have anything left to default to). I also picked up stuff with 1 point just because Logic based skills are so rare to find on anyone but someone who actually uses Logic. Pretty much only a Decker and sometimes Rigger. It also reinforces the character concept of being very logical, that guides pretty much all the 'ware decisions. (Decisions as in, do I want more essence, or am I going to install what I need to survive?)

I have software and hardware at rating 5 due to Electronics skill group.

I'll run the numbers when I'm not dead tired, but I think possibly dropping the pistol and the strength in the cyberarm (cyber shotgun is SS anyways, no recoil there) might get me where I need. I'll have to see.

Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely think on it (and may even change my mind more when I'm less tired).

physical limit 3 is crippling for combat, unless maybe you go automatics, so you limit their defense with bursts.

1 point hardware/software are highly recommended.

Fitting a cybered arm and wired reflexes on someone who needs a good deck is rough business. Not sure its going to work out. I think going reaction enhancer and and lvl 1 wired is your best bet, and i believe will get to 4 physical limit as well.

This whole physical limit 3 thing has nothing to do with shooting a gun. That's all strength based. If what I'm shooting is only using one arm, it is my understanding that I only use the stats of the one arm. That means that I can get pretty decent recoil compensation if I don't use anything that requires two hands. Sure, I suck at sneaking, but I know and have created many mages and faces who also suck at those things.

Yeah, the Cyberarm and Wired reflexes is really the killer. The arm is not too bad, and I can even probably get away with Wired Reflexes, but both together is a huge cost. Actually, I could get both together pretty easily, but then I have to drop the Cerebral Boosters. So really, the combination of all 3 is the killer. It also doesn't help that my concept of this character means I really don't want to drop any of my augmentations.

Like I said above, I'll run the numbers tomorrow when I get the chance, I might end up not having to give up any augmentations.

also longarms skill rating not listed, but by math i am assuming at 6.

I checked math, reaction enhancers plus wr 1, would put you at 4 physical limit.

I believe it would completely solve your money deficit as well, saving you 53k.

Longarms is at 6, thanks for catching that. Edited it into post.

Ok, on the 4 physical limit, that's not really my biggest concern. The money would be useful, and if I have to, I'll drop the Wired Reflexes down to 1, but I'll see if I can get away with it first.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-25-14/0842:17> »
Cyberarms do no affect physical limit at all, so even if you are shooting with that arm, your physical limit still applies, unfortunitely. (i am building a combat decker so fighting the same thing) 3 is pretty rough for someone wanted to have decent specialization in combat.

I see the electronics now, i needed some sleep too :) , might be worth a point if you can scrape it, to specialize in matrix perception under computer.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #6 on: <09-25-14/0953:21> »
Cyberarms do no affect physical limit at all, so even if you are shooting with that arm, your physical limit still applies, unfortunitely.
The physical limit is irrelevant to firearms use. You use the firearm's accuracy for the limit on the test.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-25-14/1024:50> »
Cyberarms do no affect physical limit at all, so even if you are shooting with that arm, your physical limit still applies, unfortunitely.
The physical limit is irrelevant to firearms use. You use the firearm's accuracy for the limit on the test.
Oh really? That would be fantastic , I thought the firearms accuracy was just a limit if your physical exceeded it. That is great news.

S.Miles

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-25-14/1031:45> »
Every test has only one relevant Limit (or none at all).
For armed combat it's always Accuracy. Physical Limit is mostly relevant for physical activities, unarmed combat and throwing. Things like that.

8-bit

« Reply #9 on: <09-25-14/1058:31> »
Which is why I'm not all that worried about the limit to be honest. This guy isn't going to be a close combat machine or a super ninja.

8-bit

« Reply #10 on: <09-25-14/1121:44> »
All right, I did the math. I think I'm going to have to drop Wired Reflexes down to 1. On the plus side, I can then pick up Reaction Enhancers 3. I'll just use Cram to get the 3d6 Initiative dice. Sadly, Deckers are fairly nuyen dependent, so it might take a while to get it upgraded to 2 or 3 (My eventual goal at some point).

Edited first post with the updates. Still not 100% sure about the 1 edge, but main issue (the money) has been resolved. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: <09-25-14/1126:21> by 8-bit »

S.Miles

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-25-14/1128:13> »
If you don't want the +6 Rea from WR and ReaEnhancers, I would go for the R3 Synaptic Booster. It's not that much more expensice, but a lot less Essence cost and it's easier to get (18R vs 20R).
This way you can buil in more combat focused 'Ware.
If you want the maximum +6 Rea, well good luck ;)

As for the nuyen dependency: Try to talk to your GM about that. One way can be more money for runs or you can figure out a way to handle paydata and how to get/sell it. This way the hacker can use his skills to get extra cash.
If you use the CRB guidance on cash, don't expect to ever get a better deck or WR 3 ;)

8-bit

« Reply #12 on: <09-25-14/1133:08> »
If you don't want the +6 Rea from WR and ReaEnhancers, I would go for the R3 Synaptic Booster. It's not that much more expensice, but a lot less Essence cost and it's easier to get (18R vs 20R).
This way you can buil in more combat focused 'Ware.
If you want the maximum +6 Rea, well good luck ;)

As for the nuyen dependency: Try to talk to your GM about that. One way can be more money for runs or you can figure out a way to handle paydata and how to get/sell it. This way the hacker can use his skills to get extra cash.
If you use the CRB guidance on cash, don't expect to ever get a better deck or WR 3 ;)

Well, to be honest I just make characters in my spare time. Don't have a group for this guy yet.

Not set on getting the +6 to Reaction, I'm fine with Synaptic Boosters. At that point I would probably be stuffing stuff like Muscle Replacement/Toner for more combat augs though. When I do get to a game with this guy, I am most certainly going to have a long talk with my GM. It's a little ridiculous playing a Decker or Rigger; they require so much money to upgrade/maintain their stuff that it's frustrating. It is definitely not going to be the Core book's cash setup.

S.Miles

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <09-25-14/1148:23> »
Good idea ;) I'm trying to teach the GMs I play with the same thing... SR5 needs a lot of money for Sams, Riggers and Deckers. Sam Deckers need even more (and then there is the Karma needed to get do double digit Skills... ^^).

On more combat augs: Str 4 or 7 is nice (for the recoil). You'll have to see if you want to re-replace the Cyberarm with a bio-arm and then put on the Bioware. For combat alone, the Cyberarm should fare well, maby get a better customized one later. If you want to have an overall strong body, you can think about re-growing the arm to lose less Essence (I guess rules or sth like that will be in the Augmentation book).

There's a lot of nice Bioware for you. The 'Gland giving you another boost to physical attributes, Bone Densitiy and Orthoskin keeping you alive (and they are really chap!), as a decker you should also consider the Mnemonic Enhancers, as your Log will be high and with them you can get 12 dice on defaulting Log-Knowledge. Even more, if you acutally know, what you are talking about ;) (If there is no way to default on Knowledge, forget that part. Never thought about defaulting on Knowledge so far...).

But in the end... do you want to focus more on the Decker aspect, or more on the Combat aspect? I think for developement you should start with focusing on one of them and improving the other one only slightly. You won't have the resources for 2 charakters, I fear.

8-bit

« Reply #14 on: <09-25-14/1157:59> »
Good idea ;) I'm trying to teach the GMs I play with the same thing... SR5 needs a lot of money for Sams, Riggers and Deckers. Sam Deckers need even more (and then there is the Karma needed to get do double digit Skills... ^^).

On more combat augs: Str 4 or 7 is nice (for the recoil). You'll have to see if you want to re-replace the Cyberarm with a bio-arm and then put on the Bioware. For combat alone, the Cyberarm should fare well, maby get a better customized one later. If you want to have an overall strong body, you can think about re-growing the arm to lose less Essence (I guess rules or sth like that will be in the Augmentation book).

There's a lot of nice Bioware for you. The 'Gland giving you another boost to physical attributes, Bone Densitiy and Orthoskin keeping you alive (and they are really chap!), as a decker you should also consider the Mnemonic Enhancers, as your Log will be high and with them you can get 12 dice on defaulting Log-Knowledge. Even more, if you acutally know, what you are talking about ;) (If there is no way to default on Knowledge, forget that part. Never thought about defaulting on Knowledge so far...).

But in the end... do you want to focus more on the Decker aspect, or more on the Combat aspect? I think for developement you should start with focusing on one of them and improving the other one only slightly. You won't have the resources for 2 charakters, I fear.

Yeah I was thinking about a cloned replacement for the arm. I can always convince a GM to bring it over from SR4A's Augmentation. The cyberarm is nice though, but I might get it lopped off and replaced with Beta/Deltaware when I get the money. Yes there sure is a lot of Bioware. Platelet Factories, Suprathyroid Gland, Orthoskin etc. I originally had Mnemonic Enhancers (rating 2) in, but I ran into a money/essence problem as I've explained. I can also fit in some decked out eyes and possible ears if I want. Oh, and upgrade Cerebral Boosters to Rating 3. Pain Editor/Damage compensators don't hurt either.

In the end, it's a focus on the Decker Aspect. The main point is hacking. The concept though is that the character understands you need to make some sacrifices to survive. There are a lot of deckers out there who know how to spray and pray with a machine pistol, or only how to shoot a pistol without doing anything. None of them can stand up very well to combat. Hence, the sort of combination in 'ware between combat augs and decking augs. By no means am I going to be front line, I'll leave that to those who are super-cybered out for that. I do want to be able to blow up anybody who decides it would be a good idea to kill me though, so that's where all the combat augs come in.