NEWS

Guns, guns, and more guns in Gun Heaven--out now!

• 95 Replies

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« on: <06-12-11/0011:00> »
Okay, here's the thing. We have a plan. A secret plan. I've mentioned a little bit of it in another thread, but not the full details, because, you know, it's a secret plan. But one thing I can tell you is that the secret plan involves us doing a fair amount of work on some gear-oriented PDF products. And since we're working on them and stuff, we figure, why not release them when they're done? Which is a rather roundabout way of saying that close on the heels of Unfriendly Skies comes Gun Heaven, and new PDF book on sale now (Battleshop, DriveThruRPG) that is full of, you guessed it, guns. Here are the details:

A Gat in the Hand Means the World by the Tail

Look, we all know that there are plenty of runs that go best when you don’t fire a shot. But we also know how foolish you’d be to go out without your trusted sidearm, because you never know when things are going to go south. Or when you’re going to be hired simply because you’re the person who’s got the right weapons for the job.

If you’re looking for a new weapon to add to your arsenal, Gun Heaven is the place to go. Featuring thirty-two guns—complete with descriptions, information on their use, game statistics, and full-color illustrations of each item—Gun Heaven collects older weapons and newer designs, ranging from the SIG P298 hold-out pistol, with its slim-line design, to the massive Ogre Hammer and its devastating punch. Get caught up on the predecessors of the legendary Ares Predator IV, or check out one of the most recent offerings from Onotari Arms, the assault-rifle/shotgun combo Xfactor III.

Gun Heaven will help any team of runners pack out the way they want, while also providing opportunities to make a few nuyen by finding and selling pristine versions of older models to collectors. Gun Heaven is for use with Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition.

Jason H.

P.S. The above post contains a bastardized quote from my favorite movie. Props to the first person to ID it.
« Last Edit: <06-12-11/0019:34> by JM Hardy »
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <06-12-11/0040:52> »
And there goes my budget again!   :'(

EDIT:  Posted my review of the e-book on the other forum.  Long post short, I like.
« Last Edit: <06-12-11/0153:37> by CanRay »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #2 on: <06-12-11/0259:30> »
Is there a planned hard copy I can pick up?! Right when I had my expanded firearms rules finalized a new gun book is released...

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-12-11/0417:42> »
 ::)
not only did CGL open that damned Can of Worms (Calibres in SR ! )  ::)
You rubbed exactly the right ones Nose right on Top of it.
I Guarantee that the next 10 Pages in the Gaming  Den will be Rants and Sarcastic comments about the Caliber of SR Weapons and how Wrong this is.
I can't express how dissapointed I am from CGL that they did this (ImO) big mistake with the Calibre

with a disapointed Dance
medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #4 on: <06-12-11/0504:34> »
I Guarantee that the next 10 Pages in the Gaming  Den will be Rants and Sarcastic comments about the Caliber of SR Weapons and how Wrong this is.
To be particularly blunt about it, "so what?"

No game company -- or company at all -- can put out products while prancing around on their tippy-toes worried about what the smallest, bitterest, little faction of disenfranchised fans is going to think.  I'm not crazy about the addition of calibers in Shadowrun either, but spending official company time worrying about what TGD crowd will think about a book is spending official company time spinning your wheels for no good reason.  There are a group of people out there who will at best offer up backhanded compliments about the quality of new work, and at worst call the writers foot fetishists, neo-Nazis, and scabs...why on Earth are they worth catering to?

It's not like various calibers are given in-depth rules or something, it's just mentioned -- almost in passing -- that "this gun with a high damage code has a higher caliber than that gun with a low damage code," which is absolutely nothing new.  The word gets tossed around a few times and used in vague relation to the damage and/or range of a weapon, and that's really about it.  It's not introducing new rules or crunch in terms of caliber, it's just used as a perfectly logical descriptor of various firearms.

Fans like guns.  Shadowrun has more guns now, instead of just more drones and tanks and ships and stuff.  It's my favorite of our recent gear-splat e-books, simply because it's got some awesome artwork, and it's the one most likely to be usable in your average Shadowrun game.  It's the old-school "information, artwork, stats, and shadowtalk" format that fans have been screaming for for years, it's a good looking book, and it gives your average shadowrunner some new toys.

The sarcasm and rants of TGD are moot points.
« Last Edit: <06-12-11/0517:51> by Critias »

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-12-11/0526:58> »
To be particularly blunt about it, "so what?"
of Course You`re right concerning the Gamers Den
I let them Rant there because it makes them Happy
(They're gonna Rant anyway ;) )
I' m more concerned with the German Forums that I visit and where I'm Moderator of

Fans like guns.
They do(me too),Yes and thats why there is gonna be lots of diskussions that are followed by Flames (I'm shure of it.
It happened before ,Its gonna happen again , it's almost a Nature's Law )

It's the old-school "information, artwork, stats, and shadowtalk" format that fans have been screaming for for years, it's a good looking book, and it gives your average shadowrunner some new toys.
Awww   :D common ,admit it  ;)
its Gun Pron but thats cool  8)
Good Looking ? the laser Pointer of the Walther P99 is bad Photoshopping.  Hey If I can see that ,anybody can see that  ;D

it's just used as a perfectly logical descriptor of various firearms.
Seee thats what I'm talking about It ....just tickles me to answer and give You my opinion about light Pistols and 40 mm Calibre.40 Ammo . But thats exactly what I DON'T want :D

with a Dance out of the Moot
Medicineman

« Last Edit: <06-12-11/0541:31> by Medicineman »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #6 on: <06-12-11/0537:04> »
Seee thats what I'm talking about It ....just tickles me to answer and give You my opinion about light Pistols and 40 mm Calibre. But thats exactly what I DON'T want :D
I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.  I don't know if it's because I'm sleepy and a wee bit hung over, or because we're just managing to miscommunicate, or if I'm looking at the wrong draft of Gun Heaven while I'm talking to you (I guess there's always the off chance something changed and I missed a revision).

Where are you seeing a "40 mm calibre" (which is a series of numbers that don't make any sense) light pistol?  Or ANY real numbers like that, really?  All I really spot are a few write-ups of guns occasionally mentioning "such and such is a heavy caliber version of the so-and-so," or "For those who need to pack a little more punch, the high caliber blah-blah-blah is a great choice," and that sort of thing.

I just don't see what there is to complain about, in terms of the "calibers" being "introduced" into Shadowrun, here.
« Last Edit: <06-12-11/0540:15> by Critias »

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-12-11/0540:44> »
sorry 40mm calibre was wrong (Blame it on my bad English  :-[ )
My only Information is the sample PDF from Drivethrough
http://watermark.drivethrustuff.com/pdf_previews/92357-sample.pdf

the Picture of the Walther P 99 says
Semi automatic
12 Rounds .40 cal Magazine

YahtaHey
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <06-12-11/0543:19> by Medicineman »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #8 on: <06-12-11/0609:29> »
That's not on all of 'em, and (IMHO) it's just the artist trying to add a little more detail/flavor to some of the guns.  Most of them just say "10 round magazine" or what-have-you, and others (as they should) say "9mm or .45 magazine" and stuff like that.  There's nothing in there for rules that suddenly set each damage code as a certain caliber, or alter the armor penetration based on the caliber given in the artwork, or anything like that.

It's really just a little extra detail being added to the artwork (to have certain features pointed out, the way they do in real-life gun rags), it's not a new layer of complexity being added to the rules, or anything like that.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #9 on: <06-12-11/1118:27> »
Ah, so it is in the art. No big woop then, as the art is never authoritative imo.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <06-12-11/1141:57> »
Love the product, thank you SR staff for it. I am not sure why simple fluff given in some pictures seems to get SR fans on edge lol, to me I like they included it. It means nothing for the rules, and if I try to add real world logic to a game that has magic, and crazy level of tech like Cybermancy then I might as well be stomping down sand in a dust storm! Again thank you for the product, I see some more stuff in the works that I love as well. Good day runners

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-12-11/1315:52> »
Ah, so it is in the art. No big woop then, as the art is never authoritative imo.
Yeh pretty much only response to that whining about the art is:
Art in a PDF supplement has mistakes in it, news at eleven.

It's not like every single one of these books has art whit mistakes, oh wait yes they do.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <06-12-11/1323:45> »
Having had to try and steer artists towards what you want while in person and talking to them, showing them examples from IRL, and other such things, I know how hard it can be to get them what you actually want.

Doing it remotely by e-mail?  Complete Horrorshow.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <06-12-11/1326:06> »
One problem I just noticed, once again we have the fluff of cased versus caseless ammo with no crunch to go behind it.  :(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #14 on: <06-12-11/1336:08> »
What crunch would be needed exactly? if all models can be had in cased or caseless models, and the ammo cost the same in either form it becomes a issue of group taste more then game mechanics.
Want to see my flash new jacket?