NEWS

Clothing - What do you get for your money?

• 23 Replies

No_ID_Onfile

• Newb
« on: <11-26-13/1058:21> »
So, I get that for 20Y you get, essentially, a crap outfit. For 100,000Y you're getting custom tailored awesome tricked out threads, the kind that your favorite trid star might be seen on the red carpet wearing.

What are the in-between steps?

You want to have a long jacket, nice jeans, hiking boots, and a decent shirt. How much, roughly, would you need to spend?

A suit, but off the rack. Nice but obviously not what's "in fashion". ???

And so on and so forth. 

I know its not essential runner gear, but...it kinda is.  8)

<Transmission ended. User ID not found. >
<Error>
<Error>

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #1 on: <11-26-13/1110:34> »
Just take modern fashion styles and convert the dollars to nuyen.

Take for example a fine Gucci suit costs about $2000, so that'd be about 2000¥.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <11-26-13/1156:19> »
Also, you wouldn't pay for it usually. Just assume fitting clothes are part of your lifestyle, costs only matter when you go above it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Critter

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <11-26-13/1219:44> »
Attitude really helped me sort out shadowrun fashions.
There's always one PC who just can't go with the flow.  They have to have something that sets them apart.  Something blatantly obvious to everyone who plays with them.

No_ID_Onfile

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <11-26-13/1300:10> »
I thought that lifestyle only covered meals and lodging?
<Error>
<Error>

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <11-26-13/1304:26> »
It's "the general affluence of their day-to-day life". That includes your place, your food, your service and then some. In SR4, they split it in 5 categories in Runner's Companion, one of which included your clothes.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Critter

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <11-26-13/1330:35> »
In Shadowrun 5th it covers metahuman size adjustments if it covers guns and armour, I assume it covers clothing as well.

Or else my gnome has some real clothes issues..

There's always one PC who just can't go with the flow.  They have to have something that sets them apart.  Something blatantly obvious to everyone who plays with them.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-26-13/1539:19> »
Lifestyle covers clothing (at least in 4th).  Of course, if you have low lifestyle and you want a Zoé evening gown, you will have to pay for it seperately.  Normally I pick some special clothes (like the Zoé dress and stuff like that) and all the rest is assumed under lifestyle (I mostly take middle in that categorey, so that should cover street clothes and a nicer suit or two).

If you want some prices for high end clothes, look in 4th edition Arsenal.  While the armour value has to be adapted, the price would be close enough that you can get your GM to agree to what you want.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-26-13/1707:48> »
I am going to second the suggestion to pick up the 4th ed. book "Attitude".  It's 95% fluff, and 5% crunch (so most of it still applies in 5e), and is excellently written.  Really useful information for games that include roleplaying the time between runs, or when a run involves more socializing than shooting.  Beyond fashion, it also covers music, art and sports in 2070.

It's also a good source for those little unique touches that flesh out a character's style and appearance, like real leather, living animals vat-grown in the shape of fur coats, steampunk-style everything, etc.

One of my personal favorite supplements.  I actually bought the hard copy instead of just the PDF.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <11-27-13/0152:34> »
your lifestyle covers all your incidentals of life. (clothing, food, shelter, entertainment, etc)

so the higher your lifestyle the better your quality of life (and food, clothing, shelter, etc)

a Runner with a high lifestyle has a wardrobe filled with top notch clothing... and down. (not to mention REAL food, and speciality food, tickets to all the best sporting events, VIP listing at clubs, a really posh shelter.... or a really nice "abandoned" house :P)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

No_ID_Onfile

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <11-28-13/1754:40> »
Thanks this has all been very helpful! :)
<Error>
<Error>

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #11 on: <11-28-13/2301:45> »
In addition to Attitude, this book can be useful for fleshing out Lifestyles.

Hell, I think the third edition rules for lifestyle are still useful!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-29-13/0318:48> »
In addition to Attitude, this book can be useful for fleshing out Lifestyles.

Hell, I think the third edition rules for lifestyle are still useful!

tired of Raman noodles huh?

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #13 on: <11-29-13/2001:56> »
At one point, I built out clothing rules, with the base cost relying on type (just jeans & tee, work suits, that sort of thing) and a multiplier by manufacturer (Wal-Mart, Target, Gucci, etc.).  It worked pretty well conceptually, but I never really got a chance to extensively play-test it.  You could get dirt-cheap threads for ¥10, or unique cutting-edge fashion for over ¥10,000 ... armor extra, but you could always have it built-to-fit to help conceal a heavy pistol or smaller ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <11-29-13/2231:01> »
considering 3/4 of my clothing says "Carhart" on it... I am happy for the baseline levels :D