NEWS

Character Creation Vs. Pregens

• 6 Replies

Ravenspoe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Matrix Drama Monkey
« on: <01-31-12/1331:44> »
I am going to be running my first missions session in about a week.
I have decided to go with pregens as I know the people in the shop are not experienced SR players, and giving them a character creation option will eat up more time than it is worth. However, I am thinking that those who return for another mission the following month I will allow to generate their own character (well recreate their pregen to something they are comfortable with). In doing this, should I limit the chargen to just the core book? Are there certain supplements that should be avoided?

I was thinking of using PACKS from the Runner's Toolkit to let them generate characters with... any thoughts, suggestions, or advice?
Rev. James Carpio - Freelance Writer & Game Designer
Chapter 13 Press : Creators of Pulp Era, Spookybeans!, Tales from the Funk!
Tales for the Fallen Empire: A sword and sorcery setting coming soon!
Hear me rant at "Quoth the Raven"

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-31-12/1341:10> »
If you're considering using PACKs then, it may not take too much longer than an experienced group to build characters.  I'm hesitant to advise pregens to anyone, as I have met multiple gamers who will simply refuse the game entirely if pregen characters are required for the game.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-31-12/1533:00> »
The bad things are spread fairly evenly around the different supplements and within the core book, so there's not a single list of books you can axe to excise the bad rules. You're really better off just doing a case-by-case approval, or just looking at the characters as a whole and limiting effectiveness rather than where the effectiveness comes from.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #3 on: <01-31-12/1656:39> »
As a note, the general rule for Missions is that after your first Missions game *(but only after the first one), you can build a new character and apply the rewards.  So you can hand out pregens to players to let them try the game, learn the game, try out Missions, whatever...  And then if they like it, they can build their own character, give that character the money and karma and stuff earned, and continue on.

Ravenspoe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Matrix Drama Monkey
« Reply #4 on: <01-31-12/1703:06> »
As a note, the general rule for Missions is that after your first Missions game *(but only after the first one), you can build a new character and apply the rewards.  So you can hand out pregens to players to let them try the game, learn the game, try out Missions, whatever...  And then if they like it, they can build their own character, give that character the money and karma and stuff earned, and continue on.

That is exactly what I plan to do.
I do similar things when I run D&D encounters and Pathfinder Society games where the player gets a pre-gen.
I have a feeling most joining will be SR noobs, so I would rather get them into the action with a pregen than burn up 2 hours trying to get them to create characters.
Rev. James Carpio - Freelance Writer & Game Designer
Chapter 13 Press : Creators of Pulp Era, Spookybeans!, Tales from the Funk!
Tales for the Fallen Empire: A sword and sorcery setting coming soon!
Hear me rant at "Quoth the Raven"

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #5 on: <01-31-12/1932:09> »

Now, does this apply if you have to retire a character and start from scratch with a new build?

Aka, is it one 'burn-in' game per character or per player?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Crash_00

« Reply #6 on: <03-10-12/0855:23> »
It's per player. It's meant solely to let new players test out the game with no real commitment then dedicate time to making a character if they like it.