NEWS

"Threat" Hunter

• 26 Replies

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <11-07-15/0759:36> »
Are you looking at fourth edition?

Exceptional Attribute also applies toward Special Attributes such as Magic and Resonance.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <11-07-15/0810:28> »
SKills: some cool combat skill when taking em down,  Perception (high), assensing (if capable of astral perceiving),sneaking, running (when taking em down didnt work), animal handling(fluff), tracking, survival, intimidation (youve seen some sh#t) and some technical skill like armorer or chemistry to custom create silvered weapons/stakes or allergy/weakness grenades etc.

I think knowledge skills are some of the best tools to create fully fleshed and cool characters, and I think its a shame they are so neglected on these boards.
Knowledge skills: critters, parazoology, infected, dark magic (blood/toxic/insect/dark rituals etc), malevolent spirits (toxic/insect/shadow/demons/shedim etc), monster mythology( all the classical stories from pre-awakened shadowrun time), conspiracy theories, occult cults (wendigo cannibal cults, nosferatu conspiracy circles, shedim abduction operations, toxic fanatics etc.) Hunter network (places where other hunters meet and exchange stories/silver bullets/ whacky theories)

These can either be taken as interest/street(intuition) or academic/professional (logic) as needed. is your character a self taught hunter, then he most likely has parazoology as a street or interest knowledge, with a more practical approach. Is he on the other hand the professor type with a customized shotgun he most likely has more academic/professional source of knowledge.

If you wanna specialize even further just go specifically for knowledge: toxic magic, insect path, nosferatus etc. such a narrow specialization would likely reduce the threshold tremendously, but wouldnt come up very often.

hope that helps- I havent read those novels so I dont know what angle said character might have
« Last Edit: <11-07-15/1442:06> by DigitalZombie »

Halinn

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <11-07-15/0912:57> »
Are you looking at fourth edition?

Exceptional Attribute also applies toward Special Attributes such as Magic and Resonance.

I was quoting the improved [attribute] spell

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <11-07-15/0916:57> »
Oh derp. /going back to sleep.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-07-15/1000:23> »
Hobbes,  thank you for posting your fully created take on the character, I do appreciate the time and effort you put into it, but I do recall I did ask not for stats of any kind, just simply what manner of skills a hunter of threats would have in general.

(seriously, thank you for the effort you put forth, and I apologize that it isn't really what I was looking for.)

I have a large library of builds, I toss them out when it seems appropriate.

To your topic.  Just about any of the Archetypes can work for your concept, it's more roleplaying than mechanics that will define this particular character.  Stats, Skills, Powers, Augmentations, Gear should be built to do what that particular Archetype does.

You were leaning to Magic Archetypes, you'll want to decide if you want to be a Mystic Adept, Mage, or Physical Adept will be your main decision.

Mechanically your Mentor Spirit choice drives a few choices, so are you a hunter for the challenge?  (Dragonslayer)  Sense of obligation?  (Wise Warrior, Bear)  Vengeance?   (Thunderbird)  or just Hunter?  (Shark, Wolf) 

Next up is Knowledge skills, this will likely be a weak spot, but don't worry about it.  Most of the know stuff about things are Logic based skills, unless you're a hermetic Mage your Logic is going to be somewhere between poor and average.  Magic Theory and Para-zoology are the classic Knowledge skills for Magic and are what you're going to want.  Depending on RP background Latin, Sperethiel, ect are good choices to flesh out a mystical background.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #20 on: <11-07-15/1130:59> »
Improved Attribute Magic? That isn't a thing.
I think it's actually discussed in CORE Whiskey, I will check on it tomorrow.
Yeah, it's specifically called out as not being allowed.

"A version of this spell exists for each Physical and Mental attribute, but not for Special Attributes (Initiative, Edge, Essence, Magic, or Resonance)"

"Exceptional Attribute also applies toward Special Attributes such as Magic and Resonance." CORE Page 74 under the Heading Exceptional Attribute.
So in fact it is a thing, it does exist, and it is legal.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <11-07-15/1136:21> »
When Jack said Improved Attribute MAG, I thought they were erroneously referring to a power or spell, not the PQ, since "Improved Attribute" isn't the name of the PQ.

I've come around to thinking it's nice, it's just exceptionally hard to fit in without totally tanking your Edge. And of course, the karma cost isn't negligible.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Halinn

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <11-07-15/1158:38> »
Heh, unless I'm misreading it, you can take Exceptional Attribute (Essence). I'm not sure that's useful for anything, since the special attribute points from metatypes specifically mention that they can only raise resonance, magic and edge, but it's interesting none-the-less.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #23 on: <11-08-15/0043:32> »

I've come around to thinking it's nice, it's just exceptionally hard to fit in without totally tanking your Edge. And of course, the karma cost isn't negligible.
Yeah that is the issue with it. Nothing is perfect, and does leave you with some strange questions.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #24 on: <11-08-15/0201:18> »
Mechanically your Mentor Spirit choice drives a few choices, so are you a hunter for the challenge?  (Dragonslayer)  Sense of obligation?  (Wise Warrior, Bear)  Vengeance?   (Thunderbird)  or just Hunter?  (Shark, Wolf) 

Dog could also fit into Sense of Obligation, especially with its Negative half being protection (teammates generally) and with bonus to tracking and the 2 ranks in improved sense, can easily be fluffed into hunter/protector mentality (via hunting dogs/guard dogs.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Aethelwulf1972

« Reply #25 on: <11-22-15/0207:50> »
GM said no Aptitude, Exceptional Attributes, or Lucky, or any qualities that would result or require a lifestyle higher than low.

For this Manner of Character, what are the arguments for Adept vs Mystic adept?  (note one of the players is considering a shaman, another is considering a vampire with "leanings towards druidism and blood magic"

also ways and mentor spirit suggestions are now welcome :)

oh forgot to add I want to make this character a Nocturna
« Last Edit: <11-22-15/0209:49> by Aethelwulf1972 »

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <12-08-15/1810:23> »
The main sacrifices you make for Mys Ad instead of straight adept is that its a priority higher, and you have to ask if your build can spare the 30 Karma for PP.  Adepts get Magic 6 at Priority B, Mys Ads get it at A.  Adepts get PP for free matching their Magic, Mys Ads buy them at 5 karma per point.  Also, if your priority selection already puts skills low, Mys ad would be tough.

My only comment otherwise on the build is that if you are paranormal hunting, not sure how you build that without taking Astral Perception.  Big advantage there being able to look at someone disguised as mundane, but when you turn on the third eye, you can tell they aren't.

Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms