NEWS

Powered Armor?

• 62 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #30 on: <01-11-11/1349:13> »
There is one catch : operating in water helps a lot by offsetting the weight of the suit. On dry land balance and weight are much more problematic.

Yeah, but the humorous part is that the Shadowrun rules concerning the JIM suit failed to specify that it was limited to underwater operations, or indeed that operating out of the water had any negative effects at all

So you can imagine the cheeseweasel rules lawyer reactions to that.

-k

Morg

« Reply #31 on: <01-11-11/1610:24> »
There is one catch : operating in water helps a lot by offsetting the weight of the suit. On dry land balance and weight are much more problematic.

Yeah, but the humorous part is that the Shadowrun rules concerning the JIM suit failed to specify that it was limited to underwater operations, or indeed that operating out of the water had any negative effects at all

So you can imagine the cheeseweasel rules lawyer reactions to that.

Hey it is technically a rigged vehicle it can still be modded, and it was my starting point for environmental power armor
« Last Edit: <01-11-11/1624:09> by Morg »

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #32 on: <01-11-11/1831:28> »
while power armor would be cool...its like walking around town with a machinegun, someone is gonna call the cops or worse the military to take you down. not good if you are trying not to stand out & be noticed.
sure, i could see one dropping in a mission or home game as a foe, a one shot use.
if a player figures out the ins & outs & actually makes one, good for him. just as long as he understands he won't get to use it much. or worse a corp steals the design and turns the suit loose onto the streets against the players
he may even turn company man, designing the suit for the military/ corp, making the PC a NPC

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #33 on: <01-12-11/1638:07> »
while power armor would be cool...its like walking around town with a machinegun, someone is gonna call the cops or worse the military to take you down. not good if you are trying not to stand out & be noticed.
sure, i could see one dropping in a mission or home game as a foe, a one shot use.
if a player figures out the ins & outs & actually makes one, good for him. just as long as he understands he won't get to use it much. or worse a corp steals the design and turns the suit loose onto the streets against the players
he may even turn company man, designing the suit for the military/ corp, making the PC a NPC

I figured it would be a good foil for the PCs.  Having to steel an experimental PA suit only to find that the Corp stealing the suit set them up and it is a field test.  Also you can always run a Merc Campaign where the PC are PA pilots working for a very well connected Johnson.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #34 on: <01-16-11/1007:12> »
Vehicle, walker mode, arms, rigger cocoon, trash the place.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Morg

« Reply #35 on: <01-16-11/1125:49> »
I guess you could pull any numbers out of the air for a power armor, I think an interesting approach to this would be why do you need Powered Armor in your campaign then build it to fit the need, like a lumbering exoskeleton that is designed for hazardous rescue and reclamation. it used were signal interference is too high to use a drone, the wight of the equipment is massive and it is too dangerous to send a large number of people.

power armor is cool but impractical in anything but a narrow field

but that shouldn't stop you from making if for the awesome factor alone and then figuring out why a corp built it and remember once you build one if your runners get a hold of it expect them to try to mod it like crazy

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #36 on: <01-23-11/1515:45> »
I guess you could pull any numbers out of the air for a power armor, I think an interesting approach to this would be why do you need Powered Armor in your campaign then build it to fit the need, like a lumbering exoskeleton that is designed for hazardous rescue and reclamation. it used were signal interference is too high to use a drone, the wight of the equipment is massive and it is too dangerous to send a large number of people.

power armor is cool but impractical in anything but a narrow field

but that shouldn't stop you from making if for the awesome factor alone and then figuring out why a corp built it and remember once you build one if your runners get a hold of it expect them to try to mod it like crazy

Personally I do not think that PA is impractical.  It definitely has some tactical applications.  It is impossible to use drones for everything and sometimes you are going to need the firepower a PA suit can bring to a battle.  They would be especially useful in built up terrain where you cannot really take tanks. 

If I was going to take on a heavily drone dependent force I would just seed the battlefield with EW and Jammers.  Fight in a built up area that breaks line of sight.  Drones if they got taken off the net would have to depend on their dog brains which would hamper their efficiency.  Well concealed infantry armed with AP weapons would mess them up.  With PA you bring humans back into the fight and give units the ability to improvise.

Morg

« Reply #37 on: <01-27-11/1119:03> »
I am not sure I am nit picking but the Military-Grade Armor Enhancements Strength Upgrade makes Military-Grade Armor a power armor

So there is powered armor

Exoskeletons e.g. similar to the device that Ripley uses in aliens 2 in order fight the queen would be a vehicle powered armor

so is the thread about powered armor or weather there should be powered armor that uses the vehicle rules?
if so here is my idea

MCT Oni no Hanzō (Devil [Hattori Hanzō was a famous samurai and ninja of the Sengoku era])

Hand: +2  Accel: 5/15 Speed: 25 Pilot: 1 Body: 7 Armor: 10 Sensor: 3 Avail: 26 Cost: 500,000
Body Stabilizer (2), Extreme Enviroment Modification (Desert, Polar), Full Mechanical Arm Str 15 (2) Life Support (1) Rigger Adaptation, Touch Sensors, Walker, Weapon Mount (external, fixed, remote controlled)
« Last Edit: <01-27-11/1135:19> by Morg »

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #38 on: <03-22-11/1221:14> »
Out of the section on steampunk fashion in Attitude (pg 154)

Iron Will: iron Will is an exoskeleton used to augment the user’s strength for laborious tasks. it is 2.5 meters tall and weighs 200 kg. it has no autonomy, nor was it built for any remote piloting. When worn, treat the wearer’s strength as 8, but reduce their agility by 1. iron Will can be treated as a vehicle for upgrades.

It's the last line that makes me grin, drool, and cringe all at the same time (the last mainly because I'm the GM these days).
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <03-22-11/1802:02> »

Iron Will: iron Will is an exoskeleton used to augment the user’s strength for laborious tasks. it is 2.5 meters tall and weighs 200 kg. it has no autonomy, nor was it built for any remote piloting. When worn, treat the wearer’s strength as 8, but reduce their agility by 1. iron Will can be treated as a vehicle for upgrades.

It's the last line that makes me grin, drool, and cringe all at the same time (the last mainly because I'm the GM these days).

How do we automate it though?

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #40 on: <03-22-11/1917:22> »

How do we automate it though?
Who cares?!  ;D

It's a strength enhancing exoskeleton, that you can sit in, that can get vehicle upgrades (Armour, armour, and more armour, maybe a weapon mount on each arm and shoulder?...ooh, and jet packs... and a flamethrower...and a loudspeaker playing Fugue in D-minor....and ...and ...and  :o.....

Isn't that the very definition of power-armour (or even a mech)?

Sweet. I just found my next antagonist :D
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <03-22-11/1926:51> »
Who cares?!  ;D

It's a strength enhancing exoskeleton, that you can sit in, that can get vehicle upgrades (Armour, armour, and more armour, maybe a weapon mount on each arm and shoulder?...ooh, and jet packs... and a flamethrower...and a loudspeaker playing Fugue in D-minor....and ...and ...and  :o.....

[/quote]

It's only body 6

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #42 on: <03-22-11/1955:53> »
Who cares?!  ;D

It's only body 6 :P
So?

OK, so maybe not a mech (smart-@$$) :P
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <03-22-11/2006:11> »
Still a decent iron man!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #44 on: <03-22-11/2008:34> »
*Sings "Iron Man" in the key of off*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11