NEWS

Upcoming Shadowrun releases

• 1367 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #300 on: <03-17-12/1721:41> »
Wait, wait, wait. CanRay has a brain?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #301 on: <03-17-12/1728:33> »
If so, the next question is... Does it belong to Hans Delbruck?
« Last Edit: <03-17-12/1805:39> by shrike »
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #302 on: <03-17-12/1759:39> »
Wait, wait, wait. CanRay has a brain?
Well, the diseased and pus-covered organ I call a brain.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #303 on: <03-17-12/2107:40> »
If so, the next question is... Does it belong to Hans Delbruck?

no. abby something.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

shrike

• Chummer
« Reply #304 on: <03-28-12/1218:06> »
That's too bad. The vampire plot's kinda fun....

I must say that I enjoy the idea of that plot. As co-dm of the Shadowrun game we play, we already have a vampire contact (Risa from On the Run) which is an excellent way for me to introduce said plot. *insert maniacal laughter here*
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #305 on: <03-28-12/1227:52> »
That's too bad. The vampire plot's kinda fun....
I must say that I enjoy the idea of that plot. As co-dm of the Shadowrun game we play, we already have a vampire contact (Risa from On the Run) which is an excellent way for me to introduce said plot. *insert maniacal laughter here*
Do you have any vampire PCs? he asks hesitantly....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

shrike

• Chummer
« Reply #306 on: <03-28-12/1250:54> »
No. It has long been a standing rule at our table that PC's infected/cursed/granted vampirism be retired to NPC status regardless of the game we are playing at the time. Why do you ask?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #307 on: <03-28-12/1304:15> »
Hmm. I've had this idea for a vampire adept rolling around in my head for a while now...

My Characters

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #308 on: <03-28-12/1355:51> »
@Shrike: No reason....

Slightly more seriously: One of my motives with "The Vampire Plot," from a game design point of view, is to make vampires et al scary again, and the sometimes means making them unplayable. Not a fan of Infected PCs. So if I can accomplish what I'm trying to do and tell a good story at the same time, I'm doing good. And I'll sacrifice my game design motives on the altar of a good story if I have to.

@Mirikon: I had a vampire adept on my mind, too. See how well it worked out for her?

shrike

• Chummer
« Reply #309 on: <03-28-12/1414:29> »
I like that you are trying to make the Infected more "scary". I think vampires in general have been subjected to Twilight and Anne Rice syndrome for long enough. While different takes on a subject can inject new life into it, sometimes, a monster really is just a monster.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #310 on: <03-28-12/1659:59> »
Must agree with these sentiments as well...there is nothing wrong with evil being absolute; everything doesn't have to be redeemable.  At the end of the day, I guess it's always a matter of choice...nothing wrong with that though. ::)

AJC

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #311 on: <03-28-12/1740:07> »
Well, for absolute evil, there's Bugs, Shedim, Shadow Spirits, and Horrors. The Infected are more of a middle ground. The ones that are feral are pitiable, dangerous, and should be put down, for everyone's sake. The ones that actually retain their minds, however, do not have to be absolute evil. In fact, most of them are just regular folk with a problem that makes them have to feed on people to survive. And the attitude of the vampires in the plot actually reinforce that. One group of people thinking they are higher on the food chain than everyone else isn't exactly new. Being willing to kill and terrorize to prove that belief isn't new, either. They are vampire supremacists, just like there are human supremacists. Alamos 20K doesn't represent all humans, does it?

The vampires in the plot aren't scary because they're vampires. They're scary because they are zealots willing to kill for their cause.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #312 on: <03-28-12/1759:19> »
They have to eat people to survive.

Humans don't have to blow up metahuman communities.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #313 on: <03-28-12/1819:12> »
Which, in my mind, makes the humans who DO blow up metahuman communities worse than someone who is acting out of a need to survive. Now, the ones who embrace the darkness, and relish in the power are certainly monsters. Of course, that kind of person would likely be monsters even if they didn't have HMHVV.

My Characters

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #314 on: <03-28-12/1951:42> »
Part of my whole thesis regarding HMHVV is that the disease fucks with you, eats you alive from the inside. The disease itself is evil and malicious, and it tries to corrupt everything about its victims. Some of them embrace that, others fight it.

The big-bad in ARN? Probably would have turned out to be a complete stain on humanity even without being turned. He's ruthless and cruel, has way more money than is good for him, and he enjoys what he's become. Teresa Castillo? Probably a lot the same; she wasn't quite right when she was human, and after she got Infected she got worse. They were probably born monsters, or found it easy to become monsters as they grew up.

The central character in "Sail Away Sweet Sister" (the story formerly known as "After Midnight"), though? Not so much. Nice kid who got Infected and hates it, and what it's doing to her.

It's not all cut-and-dried. I mean, ultimately, yeah, you're right to a degree. "We" is a bunch of Infected-supremacist terrorists. But I don't think anything's ever that simple, and if it comes across that way...well, I'm doing something wrong.