NEWS

A Rigger Argument

• 9 Replies

CyberKumiko

• Newb
« on: <05-10-18/1402:10> »
How do Chummers

I hope I,m not missing something crucial here but one of my players, a rigger, insists that when using remote control, hot & cold sim initiative scores apply.

I,m under the strong impression that Remote Control is the Control Device Action & the device is controlled via comlink or deck.  As a rigger one would use the RCC to do this. Hot & Cold Sim only apply to V.R mode but he is adamant that H & C apply also to his Remote Control. I,ve tried pointing this out but he gets this angry face on, one that i,d like to smash in with a Iroquis war club!

Please help before i go to prison

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-10-18/1408:44> »
VR and AR ini applies when you are in VR or AR respectively.
It's all about not needing to send signals to your fingers but instead send them directly to your vehicle.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

adzling

« Reply #2 on: <05-10-18/1432:28> »
so what's jack's trying to say is that if the rigger is in VR (hot or cold) he will get those initiative bonuses when using Control Device.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-10-18/1436:12> »
And keep in mind that a rigger can use Remote Control (see Control Override, SR5 pg 265) in either AR or VR.   Rule of thumb:  If he's physically slump and unconscious, he's in VR (cold or hot).  If he's fiddling with his thumbs and looking at his commlink and/or AROs, he's in AR.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-10-18/1445:40> »
You can control a vehicle or drone remotely via Augmented Reality (AR) using your meatworld initiative. Doesn't matter whether you have a commlink, cyberdeck, or RCC. This is basic Remote Control, essentially "video game mode."

You can also control a a vehicle or drone remotely via Virtual Reality (VR) using your cold-sim or hot-sim Matrix initiative. Still doesn't matter whether you have a commlink, cyberdeck, or RCC. This is more like what Letitia Wright (Shuri) and Martin Freeman (Ross) do in the recent Black Panther movie. This is still Remote Control, though, not Rigger Control.

You must be in VR before you can "jump into" a drone or vehicle. That gives you full Rigger Control, the next level beyond Remote Control. You also need a Control Rig implant, and (unless you're jacked directly into the vehicle) an RCC.

CyberKumiko

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-10-18/1511:42> »

Thanks for the clarification guys, Guess I was wrong!

But Sphinx, I thought it was the VCR that allowed the Rigger to Jump in ?  Why do you need an RCC ?  Surely the RCC is optional ?

My thinking is that a RCC gives you 2 main benefits 1.) You create a PAN that allows you to jump between drones  2.) Provides Firewall when resisting bio & matrix damage

Surely all you really need is your VCR ? Not getting why an RCC is essential to jump in ?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-10-18/1516:32> »
What others said. Your player will use his normal physical initiative (boosted by stuff like wired reflexes etc) while remote controlling from AR and his cold or hot sim matrix initiative (which is not boosted by stuff like wired reflexes) while remote controlling from VR (in this case his body will also go limb). Limits on vechicle actions are incresed by 1 while in AR and by 2 while in VR. You use normal skills and attributes in both cases (for example Pilot + Reaction) and the limit in both cases will be the regular limit (for example Handling) or the Data Processing rating of the device you formed you persona on (commlink, RCC or cyberdeck) which ever is lowest. Remote control will always override auto pilot and manual control.

If your player have a control rig augmentation then he also have the option to Jump Into one of his drones or vehicles that have a rigger interface. Jumping In can only be done from VR and will always override auto pilot, manual control and remote control.
« Last Edit: <05-10-18/1533:37> by Xenon »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-10-18/1522:24> »
Another key ability that's unique to the RCC (and why you'd have reason use an expensive RCC rather than an inexpensive commlink) is the innate/free Noise Reduction.  See RCC Noise Reduction & Sharing pg 267. 
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <05-10-18/1528:53> »
To jump in you either form your persona on a commlink, RCC or cyberdeck and take the matrix action Jump Into Rigged Device. The existing vechicle or drone icon will merge into your existing persona icon. You use matrix attributes of the commlink, RCC or cyberdeck that you formed your persona on. It is also this device that soak matrix damage (not the vehicle/drone).

You can also form your persona (log into a Grid and the matrix as a whole) on your vehicle or drone directly from meat space by taking the Rigger Jump In action (this is not a matrix action). In this case your persona will replace the existing vehicle icon. You will use matrix attributes provided by the vehicle and any matrix damage will be soaked by the vehicle. In this case you don’t need (can't use) a commlink, RCC or cyberdeck. If you already have a persona on a commlink, RCC or Cyberdeck you first need to log out of your Grid and the matrix as a whole by rebooting the commlink RCC or cyberdeck before you can take the Rigger Jump In action to form your persona directly on the vehicle.

You often get better attributes to first connect via your commlink, RCC or cyberdeck (unless you are jumping into a spaceship or other high device rating vehicle). If you have several drones slaved to your RCC you can also jump between them directly without first jumping out to VR. RCC can also provide noise reduction in case you are not directly connected to your vehicle.
« Last Edit: <05-10-18/1544:52> by Xenon »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #9 on: <05-10-18/1636:42> »
You can also still just Jump in to vehicle via DNI using a Control Rig implant, and have nothing to do with an RCC, comm-link, Deck or any other gadget. The specifics are on 266 of the Core.

But regardless once the character is jumped in, they are in VR, and are using VR initiative, which ever way they get there.

My point is, it doesn't have to be complicated. Just jump in the car and drive like the wind!
« Last Edit: <05-10-18/1640:23> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking