NEWS

Pushing past/ blocking an exit

• 8 Replies

brasso

• Omae
« on: <05-09-18/0729:54> »
Hi guys, is there anything in canon about stopping someone get past you, other than the interception interrupt action? I can see this being a sticking point in our group at some point. If not, any suggestions?

Thanks!
The system we learn says we're equal under law
But the streets are reality, the weak and poor will fall

brasso

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-09-18/0739:14> »
Hmm, p. 138 R&G, Imposing Stone seems to suggest that there are some rules for this, but I can't see them :/

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-09-18/0911:07> »
You're looking for the Interception rules (SR5, p.194), I think.

brasso

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-09-18/1236:21> »
Thanks, but doesn't that just allow a melee attack? What if I just want to stand in the way?

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #4 on: <05-09-18/1327:08> »
Personally, I would say that you block the exit door by standing there, and someone trying to get past you uses the grappling rules to move you out of the way.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-09-18/1345:53> »
RnG p. 123 PUSH/SHOVE/SACRIFICE MOVE (Unarmed combat only)

Push is a Simple Action. The character can make an Unarmed Combat Attack Test against an opponent within the character’s Reach. If successful, the opponent is pushed outside the Reach of the character, a minimum of 1 meter. No damage is done with the attack. The character can move up to their Walk rate, and the location of where the opponent is pushed is determined by the person giving the push. This can be done as an Intercept Action (–5 Initiative Score) if an opponent attempts to move into the character’s Reach space. The pushing character cannot be in a Grapple or Clinch.

Shove is also a Simple Action. While the character is running, the character can make an Unarmed Combat Attack Test against an opponent with the intent of moving him from his location. Like a Charge, the character has to Run at the opponent and make an Unarmed Combat Attack Test. The attack deals no damage. If successful and the character’s Strength + net hits exceeds the opponent’s Physical Limit, the opponent is pushed back a distance in meters equal to the net hits of the Attack Test in the direction of the attacking character’s movement. If successful and the character’s Strength + net hits does not exceed the opponent’s Physical Limit, the character has met Mr. Wall and thus does not move the opponent; they cannot move any further past the opponent in this phase. If unsuccessful, the character falls Prone, tripping up before the attempt or knocked back from the impact against the opponent. The gamemaster determines the exact location where the character ends up.

Sacrifice Move is like a Shove, but it is a Complex Action. The character is attempting to move an opponent and throws his whole body into the attempt. The test and results are similar to Shove, but the attacking character uses Strength + Body plus net hits instead of just Strength + net hits. On a successful attempt, both the character and opponent are Prone.

Lewis Greywolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #6 on: <05-09-18/1421:30> »
If it was my game I would use an opposed attribute only test. On CRB page 152 it says that the four tests given are only examples and that any test that doesn't use a skill can be an attribute only test. Either Body + Strength (to shove past) or Reaction + Agility (to slip past) depending in how exactly someone is trying to get past.
« Last Edit: <05-09-18/1428:38> by worldeater888 »
Louis "Graywolf" Ray
Freelancer
SRM Missions Writer
Catalyst Demo Team

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #7 on: <05-09-18/1503:32> »
RnG p. 123 PUSH/SHOVE/SACRIFICE MOVE (Unarmed combat only)

Push is a Simple Action. The character can make an Unarmed Combat Attack Test against an opponent within the character’s Reach. If successful, the opponent is pushed outside the Reach of the character, a minimum of 1 meter. No damage is done with the attack. The character can move up to their Walk rate, and the location of where the opponent is pushed is determined by the person giving the push. This can be done as an Intercept Action (–5 Initiative Score) if an opponent attempts to move into the character’s Reach space. The pushing character cannot be in a Grapple or Clinch.

Shove is also a Simple Action. While the character is running, the character can make an Unarmed Combat Attack Test against an opponent with the intent of moving him from his location. Like a Charge, the character has to Run at the opponent and make an Unarmed Combat Attack Test. The attack deals no damage. If successful and the character’s Strength + net hits exceeds the opponent’s Physical Limit, the opponent is pushed back a distance in meters equal to the net hits of the Attack Test in the direction of the attacking character’s movement. If successful and the character’s Strength + net hits does not exceed the opponent’s Physical Limit, the character has met Mr. Wall and thus does not move the opponent; they cannot move any further past the opponent in this phase. If unsuccessful, the character falls Prone, tripping up before the attempt or knocked back from the impact against the opponent. The gamemaster determines the exact location where the character ends up.

Sacrifice Move is like a Shove, but it is a Complex Action. The character is attempting to move an opponent and throws his whole body into the attempt. The test and results are similar to Shove, but the attacking character uses Strength + Body plus net hits instead of just Strength + net hits. On a successful attempt, both the character and opponent are Prone.

Or this.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-10-18/1215:17> »
If you are just wanting ot stand in the way of a passing character to stop there movement with no attack involved you would have to be in a door way or other area that would require them to Push, Shove, or Sacrifice Move to get past you. If you are in an open area Interception is the only way to do it with the rules that are presented in the books. If I was GMing the situation I would allow the character to switch the skill and attribute used in interception and have them make an Agility + Gymnastics v. Reaction + Intuition test instead of the Melee Attack. If the net hits exceed the persons body then they are stopped form moving past without using Push, Shove, or Sacrifice Move.

As worldeater888 suggested, by the rules, the GM can make new Attribute + Attribute actions, make new types of actions all together, or, if they wish, substitute skills and attributes in existing actions. Especially if it makes since to the situation and keeps the flow of the game. In the end though it is up to the GM to decide if they wish to do so.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking