NEWS

Most difficult to hack host Ideas?

• 30 Replies

deathwishjoe

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <07-21-16/1950:56> »
I'd also go so far as to say that if a PC can bring an Agent into a host with him, why shouldn't a Host be able to run an Agent program?

the PC is using hardware which is explicitly allowed to run software programs like agents.  we've also pointed out what sort of imbalances this creates as well with unkillable agents.  Even IC gets disabled until the host can respawn it.  I think its clear that both RAW and RAI hosts can't run agents. 

And unlike Agent programs, which lack the Software skill, there seems to be no mention of what skills a host in and of itself has.
  I would point out that this is another nail in the coffin in the idea that hosts can set data bombs and protect files.  Not only is there no real referrence that allows them to take these actions they are also lacking the prerequisite skills to do the job.  Finding a reference showing that hosts had all computer, hacking and what not skills equal to the rating of the host I feel would actually show that RAI hosts were expected to have the ability to perform these actions. 

and the IC entries seem to indicate that Host Rating x 2 is used for every action that normally requires a Skill and an Attribute.
  this is for IC which I also believe count as personas. hosts are not devices or personas.  I could certainly see a non-combat IC whoes sole purpose is to protect files and set data bombs but they havn't stated out one as of yet.  We are also moving into the area of houserules in which case why don't we DM fiat the whole host and simply say the hacking skill doesn't work on this host.   Good luck getting in then.