NEWS

Runner Havens

• 15 Replies

Bisharian

• Newb
« on: <09-08-10/1816:41> »
Let's discuss our favorite places to run the shadows. From Chicago to Seattle, Neo-Tokyo to Hong Kong. Share some of your insight about these or other places to give some of us an idea of the local flavors

Sadly, Seattle is all I know of the shadow world. Unless you count the occasional venture to Salish-Shidhe.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #1 on: <09-08-10/1820:13> »
I typically make my own.  I typically use areas in my home region and sculpt them to fit the SR universe.  Sometimes I have to get creative about why an area would have developed into even a halfway decent sprawl (or collapsed into a feral city), but for me that's half the fun.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <09-08-10/1841:38> »
In the next campaign, I plan on it being set in mostly Seattle, but with a Chapter each in Neo-Tokyo, Denver and Tenochtitlán.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #3 on: <09-09-10/0027:27> »
Since my group allmost exclusively plays in the AGS, I stick to what you know as the Germany Sourcebook. Other than that, there is a sourcebook on the city of Munich, thats where one of my campaigns is located. The other one is set in the Rhein-Ruhr-Megaplex (yes, right next door zu Lofwyr. Yes, it has the players scared.).
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Tarot

• Newb
  • Never get involved in a land war in Asia
« Reply #4 on: <09-09-10/0132:43> »
My group runs the Dallas/Fort Worth sprawl with the occasional trip up to Denver. I think we're gonna start the Artifacts series as soon as it's complete though.
Why do they always shoot the mage 1st?

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-10/0206:18> »
Even being from germany, I never really like the ADL (AGS) as a setting (with Munich being even worse than the RR-Megaplex - had to play there often enough, though), don't know why, so I personally prefer Seattle, but I wouldn't mind playing in HK, for example.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <09-09-10/0236:35> »
I like to play in locations I know. I am way better at giving color and soul to areas I know.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Switch

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-09-10/0704:24> »
We mainly use Seattle because of the amount of material there is on it. Recently we used Manhatten for a few runs and also London. Being a Brit myself we like to o some running here as we know what we are talking about.

XxswitchxX

Tarot

• Newb
  • Never get involved in a land war in Asia
« Reply #8 on: <09-09-10/2308:51> »
I like to play in locations I know. I am way better at giving color and soul to areas I know.

I second that sentiment
Why do they always shoot the mage 1st?

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-10-10/0300:27> »
I'm the completely opposite type, as I don't like playing in locations I know (to much). Perhaps I've not enough fantasy, or it's simply because I haven't lived in a very "Shadowruny" place yet :).
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« Reply #10 on: <09-10-10/1101:13> »
I've been in a group that ran things here in Washington D.C., which was interesting to say the least- as you might imagine, the UCAS nerve center is, as it always has been, full of spies and intrigue. Factor in that it's now next door to the CAS border, and there's all kinds of ways to start trouble.

I prefer Denver though, partly because I grew up there and partly because with nearly everyone involved there in some way or another, there's plenty of options for operations on behalf- or against- almost anybody.
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #11 on: <11-29-10/1040:35> »
My favourite places are all around the world. TechnoXgeomantic runs and survival boat race (hell yeah, most of my runners consider it the best action run they ever played) in Hamburg. Naval adventures and Draco foundation runs in Puerto o Rico and Caribic, another one in Kazachstan, Ukraine and Belarus, mostly aimed for some archeological sites and often it includes some points from Earthdawn era. Now my players are staying low-profile, hiding their asses from SK and AZT on Madagascar. Not many oportunities to get a good payed job, but a good oportunity to find some serious safehouse and get their hands on the state-of-the-art technologies... And next, except a few pirating adventures as I can forseee, I`m going to take them to Asamondo and begin the first Artefact run.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #12 on: <12-02-10/1843:55> »
Right now, I'm running a game in Hampton Roads (better known to most as the blip on the map labelled "Norfolk Sprawl" with one paragraph in 6WA). Why? Because, as many have said, it's good fun to work with what you know. Also, I like having exactly 1 paragraph of background material to worry about (and approx 3 pages, for CAS in general).

Unless I fall in love with a written setting (Eberron), I tend to dislike playing in a sandbox where someone else already built the castles. Top it off, I don't really get into a setting, my indifference to that setting results in players knowing more than I do about it. Yes, I'm the GM and I have final say, but what point in using an published setting if not to use the published material?

I'll probably have them visit Denver and Seattle. Who knows where I'll set my next game, though.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #13 on: <12-02-10/2237:27> »
As a veteran of the Norfolk sprawl, you have my condolences.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-02-10/2258:55> »
I prefer Seattle, I have lived near there, and I loved the place.  Thinking about trying to develop source material for Milwaukee (my hometown), I just see it as such an interesting place, and especially after Bug City, I figure lots of stuff happening up there.