NEWS

What should I do?

• 26 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« on: <11-13-10/1610:14> »
My GM doesn't like hackers or the matrix so he kinda skrewed me over so that I'm probably going to die.
Now there wouldn't be any issues if I could just make another and he'd have to deal.
One problem, he has a rule that say we have to play the oposite of our characters when we die.
So how can I talk him out of this and show him the relative simplicity of the 'trix?
I don't want my technomancer "In'Da'Script" to die :'(
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <11-13-10/1626:31> »
Ask him what it is he doesn't like about Matrix rules, and why he let you play one in the first place.  Engage him in conversation, not confrontation, and try to resolve the issue.  I know that I, for instance, often downplay Matrix activity in my own games (traditionally SR1-3, for the record) and simply got around it by running an NPC that handled most Matrixy stuff, letting my players focus elsewhere.  Everyone, however, was told that going into the game, so no one made a dedicated pencil-neck squint Radio Shack refugee type who was only good in the 'Trix. 

Everyone was happy, because everyone knew the score going into it.  For him to let you make the character and then put his foot down, it makes it sound like maybe there was some misunderstanding about how the rules worked, some confusion about something that ended up working differently than he thought it would, or some incident that made him feel "trapped" or "tricked" or something.  I'd discuss it with him and see if that's the case, to try and handle it.

That aside?  If he does decide to downplay Matrix interactions, ask him if your current character can just take on "NPC" status, and still be the Shadowrun team's go-to guy for Matrix work -- but handle it off-site, be the voice in your ear giving the team tech support, and that sort of thing.  He'd still be taken off-stage, and the Matrix wouldn't play as direct a role in the campaign, but without you having to see a player character killed for an OOC disagreement or misunderstanding.

Then, I'd speak with him very particularly about what he's looking for in player characters before spending much time and emotion getting heart-set on anything, with your next guy. 

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <11-13-10/1629:34> »
Ok, so maybe like In'Da'Script goes off into the matrix or whatever as our tech guy and then I make a tech leaning guy?
HACK THE PLANET
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-14-10/0015:12> »
Depends what you mean by tech guy.  If you mean technomancer, then it sounds like you'll be out of luck, because your GM doesn't want in-play Matrix activity.

If you mean tech as in technical, like a guy who makes & modifies gear a la the Tech-Wiz from SR3, that could work.  Does it fit though?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #4 on: <11-14-10/0037:57> »
Ok, so maybe like In'Da'Script goes off into the matrix or whatever as our tech guy and then I make a tech leaning guy?
If your GM doesn't want tech guys, why is your immediate knee-jerk reaction to then make another tech guy?

Ask him what he's after.  Ask him what he'll allow in the game.  Spend your creative energy, right now, thinking of a cool way for your Technomancer to gracefully log off (so to speak) and drift into being an NPC that sometimes gets hired to help the group out...don't think of another character, just yet.  Worry about how to propose all this to your GM, and wait to see what he's looking for.

Yes, I'm well aware it's kind of a backwards way to do things -- not making what you want to make -- but it's better than constantly cycling through characters as the GM arbitrarily plays "wack a mole" with them.  Ask him what he wants in the group, and THEN start thinking about a new character once you know you're making something you can keep.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #5 on: <11-15-10/1053:02> »
Convince your GM to play Earthdawn instead. And play a Nethermancer to use Spirits and Bone Circles to establish a matrix prototype. :P

And seriously, just try talking with your GM. In 4ed any group is dead as a doornail without a matrix-savvy runner. Maybe your GM think those rules are too complicated, and they'll invoke the Cyberspace Effect*. Talk it through, decide to simplify some rules, work things out. In the end, you can make a combat technomancer, or a infil technomancer. Or a technomancer face. ;P

* Reality vs cyberspace. A part of the group is always bored, because they're left out of the game. Also common for other parts of the game world, like Astral. It's especially bad in nWoD. :P
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

theKernel

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <11-15-10/1544:33> »
Exatilly!He thinks its too hard
HACK THE PLANET

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #7 on: <11-15-10/1728:14> »
I don't really know of anyway to convince him that it's not hard other than to sit down with him and talk to him about it and go over the rules with him. Getting him familiar with the rules is really the only way when it comes right down to it. then if he is familiar with the rules, can use them and is fluent with the matrix - if he still doesn't like it - then well, I dunno...

I find his rule of making opposite characters when you die to be very odd, IMO.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Unisus

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <11-15-10/1741:20> »
...Now there wouldn't be any issues if I could just make another and he'd have to deal....

You know, this is something that i do not really understand. So some guys meet to have fun, and the one who has to organize the fun has a problem with something, one of the others would like to do. The normal thing imho would be to let the one who has agreed to do the hardest part of the work decide, what he is willing to do. This "i do what he does not want just because i want it and he has to get around with it" is absolutely the wrong way. How about you take the part of the GM next time and make a run, where you can show the others, how much fun it can be to hack into the matrix?

I had some sessions back in SR2-times, where we had no fuill-time-deckers, just because our GM did not want to invest additional time in making a part for just one player, where the others would just hang around and listen without anything to do, when he already made enough stuff where everyone had his part.

Greetings

Unisus

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #9 on: <11-15-10/1744:35> »
I find his rule of making opposite characters when you die to be very odd, IMO.

I've seen this rule used before. . . either when a GM is trying to "force" people to roleplay (because he sees the group as a bunch of munchkins) or to get people to come out of their comfort zone. Not usually recommended, better is to change up GM style and trust that the players will follow. Or, realize you have a group that doesn't want to play the way you want to and work with them towards a compromise.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #10 on: <11-15-10/1746:31> »
...Now there wouldn't be any issues if I could just make another and he'd have to deal....

You know, this is something that i do not really understand. So some guys meet to have fun, and the one who has to organize the fun has a problem with something, one of the others would like to do. The normal thing imho would be to let the one who has agreed to do the hardest part of the work decide, what he is willing to do. This "i do what he does not want just because i want it and he has to get around with it" is absolutely the wrong way. How about you take the part of the GM next time and make a run, where you can show the others, how much fun it can be to hack into the matrix?

I had some sessions back in SR2-times, where we had no fuill-time-deckers, just because our GM did not want to invest additional time in making a part for just one player, where the others would just hang around and listen without anything to do, when he already made enough stuff where everyone had his part.

Greetings

Unisus

To a certain extent I agree, but the rules for running the matrix are so integrated now (not like back in 2nd ed) that there really is no reason not to know them and use them all the time.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <11-15-10/1812:11> »
Yeah... Um, you all did read the part about how Hacking is wireless now? And how most corporations have taken measures so you can't get into their systems without be physically on location and accessing their network from the PAN there? That means that the hacker's gotta go ON the run now (most of the time anyway, full-immersion hackers are still a rare breed). Which means he hacks WHILE combat is going on and him, his allies, the IC and the corp toughs are all on the same initiative track. If the hacker goes VR to fight the IC, it's no different than the sammy kicking in his wired reflexes or the mage going astral.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <11-15-10/1816:11> »
Yeah... Um, you all did read the part about how Hacking is wireless now? And how most corporations have taken measures so you can't get into their systems without be physically on location and accessing their network from the PAN there? That means that the hacker's gotta go ON the run now (most of the time anyway, full-immersion hackers are still a rare breed). Which means he hacks WHILE combat is going on and him, his allies, the IC and the corp toughs are all on the same initiative track. If the hacker goes VR to fight the IC, it's no different than the sammy kicking in his wired reflexes or the mage going astral.

I think that's what voyd was getting at here:
To a certain extent I agree, but the rules for running the matrix are so integrated now (not like back in 2nd ed) that there really is no reason not to know them and use them all the time.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <11-15-10/1828:44> »
Yeah, just adding my two cents to his comments. ;D

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <11-15-10/1842:31> »
Yup, though until we got a little more used to Shadowrun as a whole (and my wife got comfortable-ish with the technomancer rules), matrix related legwork tended to drag the game to a crawl. My usual method is to put someone on the course of die-rolling, then shift to other players round-robbin style 'till everyone's busy. Unfortunately, the rest of the group have contacts that tend towards hyper-specialization (or the PC is Hung Out to Dry) and the players themselves are still figuring out how they fit into the system, so "working the streets" isn't on their RADAR.