NEWS

Wildcard Chimera

• 6 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« on: <02-15-18/2119:53> »
Consider this more of me just asking a question than actual errata stuff.

Does this "quality" have a buy-in cost?  If the rule is simply "Infected can buy any Infected power regardless of type, but if it's not one they'd normally get, they must roll for a random negative quality, but get the power at a discount" that sounds like an option rule, not a single quality, right?

One of the "Infected Archetypes" later in the book has "Wildcard Chimera, Berserk, Scales" listed under Qualities.  So help me understand how this works...

Wildcard Chimera is a quality; you pick a power and roll on the table for a discount and a connected negative quality.  The result is the Karma cost for Wildcard Chimera as a positive quality.  This would let you also ignore the period of time you must wait to buy an optional power (2 months, is it?).  Because it's a quality, you can only buy it once.

That sound right?  I'm having a bit of trouble understanding it.  If I'm right, then dang.  I'd pay 9 Karma to play a Ghoul with Regeneration.  Rolling a 7 on 2d6 is the most likely outcome I believe, due to how averages work, so I'm expecting to end up with bioluminescence...  Glowing regenerating ghoul.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #1 on: <02-15-18/2317:43> »
I think you got it right.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-15-18/2320:40> »
Mmkay...  That's quite a powerful quality then, if you're prepared to deal with the potential downsides.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-15-18/2324:56> »
Well, it would never be introduced into Missions anyway so balance issues might not be so problematic. It comes with the huge Infected price tag too

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-16-18/1845:34> »
Wildcard is decent if your already playing an infected for whatever reason. Regen of course is the most attractive, but mist form, and paralyzing howl are also available. Also of note that the discount is almost always -3 or more, so enhanced senses of any flavor is pretty much a freebie. 

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-17-18/0153:46> »
Hmm, how does this interact with the "qualities cost double after chargen" rule?  If I want Regeneration and roll Bioluminescence, the quality's cost is 9.  Does that double to 18 during play?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-17-18/0247:46> »
I suspect it functions just like any other infected quality and optional power meaning you can pick it up whenever at base price.