NEWS

[SR4] A.I. questions

• 37 Replies

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <03-07-14/0746:31> »
AFB just now, but I'm pretty sure AIs piloting drones function pretty much exactly like anyone else in hot-sim. Unwired has a handy table of common rigger rolls, iirc.

Its page 105, thank you for that :D

Guessing an AI counts as a Remote-controled if she has taken control of it or does she count as jumped in?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #16 on: <03-07-14/0818:34> »
Well, this is where things get stupid fast.

Is it the drone designated as her home node? Or is it an other drone?

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <03-07-14/1029:54> »
Well, this is where things get stupid fast.

Don't say things like that, not picked a home node for her yet, possibly going to be a van or part of a military mothballing installation. I am trying to use old drones. Do any of the books/pdfs have obsolete guns?  I think one of the Gun Haven books does but not sure.

So onto the which gun and grenade launcher will make a Predator drone "pretty", yes I have been asked to make it pretty!

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #18 on: <03-07-14/1534:52> »
You've been asked to make a pretty done that houses an artificial intelligence, rather than making a Decker/TM that uses a gun.  How does this not sound a little silly?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #19 on: <03-07-14/1626:56> »
the reason it gets stupid, fast is now you have to worry about a host of issues.

First (if I remember right) is the home node, IF that node gets taken offline or separated from you (the AI) you basically start to die until you spend karma to get a new home node. This poses several problems. First, now the AI has to move out of the "home node" losing that advantage (it is pretty huge!), and must either "ride" a drone or be cut off from the party when they hit a Wi-Fi free zone, or hit a Wi-Fi inhibited area.

So now, you have to track 3 matrix stats. The home node stat, drones (jumped in) and drones (remote). each will have a different initiative, firewall, and other characteristics.

essentially the character operates with all the rules of a Rigger, just changed to represent the AI race (and the benefits of its origin). Except the character is considered to be "online" ALL the time... which means brush up on your matrix rules as they will come into effect 100% of the time now. Oh and brush up on Signal strength, this will become important for drones and the AI.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <03-07-14/1628:37> »
You've been asked to make a pretty done that houses an artificial intelligence, rather than making a Decker/TM that uses a gun.  How does this not sound a little silly?

If you cannot help a conversation be quite.

She wanted an AI I built her an AI.

I know there are trolls in shadowrun but you can leave your character at the table!

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #21 on: <03-07-14/1828:02> »
In a slightly abrasive way he is trying to highlight problems with the character concept you require.
Ai's are hard to build effectively and take an awful lot of rules learning and gming too.
You don't wanna hear it obviously, but we're thinking it.
If she wants to play it and your GM is cool with it, then great, have fun guys. Just be aware that Ai's are really difficult to play, build and GM for.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <03-07-14/1848:36> »
Reaver, I missed your post, I cant see the DM killing the home hub for now but if he does it will probably be to kill off the character rather than allow it to jump ship, plus to aid comms each drone has sat comms to keep in contact.

Matrix wise I have my cheat sheets that seem pretty good and should cover everything, if not I will have to make a few more.

Csjarrat, if I opened the thread saying I am looking to make an AI rigger is this ok then yes saying take a TM or rigger would have been fine, but to jump up and down going no no you are wrong just annoyed me. Being pointed to the Rigger tricks section of Unwired was all I really needed and while yes I have seen that the AIs may look troublesome (read are there) this one didn't take me that long to build. It took longer picking out older drones but other than that it all looks good.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-07-14/1927:56> »

If you cannot help a conversation be quite.

She wanted an AI I built her an AI.

I know there are trolls in shadowrun but you can leave your character at the table!

A) It's "quiet" not "quite."  Two very different things.
B) I'm not trolling you.  I'm pointing out that what you're asking is very odd, very difficult to accomplish, and very troublesome for the GM.
C) As I've pointed out in previous posts - your defensive attitude about things is going to make it hard to take you seriously.

And with that, I bid you adieu.  Enjoy your weirdly sexy AI drone gun thing.  And your dragon sniper thing.  God, this is why I hated the Runner's Companion's sections on additional metatypes and alternate character designs.  I mean really?  Why the hell would an AI want to run the shadows?  I can barely fathom why Perrianwyr ran the shadows - an AI is even more alien.  Whatever.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-07-14/2200:29> »
Worse than straight up attempting to destroy the home node; an AI can be forced into realignment by resetting the node they're in. If they're in realignment when the node they're in is reset, they cease to exist.

AIs also have a hardcoded Access ID, which is the ID used when running a trace on someone, and is separate from the Access ID of their drones or home node.
To get around this, you require the Code Flux quality or a Spoof test with a day-long interval. The former means moving your code around between nodes you have admin access to until your Access ID changes (then you don't have admin access anymore - for all intents and purposes, you're a different AI on the matrix) and the latter takes way too long to be of use in a pinch.

On the topic of why an AI would run the shadows - because it syncs well with their origin and motivations. Look up Almost Human and consider the possibilities. Just don't run them RAW in SR4.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-07-14/2239:57> »
Look up Almost Human and consider the possibilities. Just don't run them RAW in SR4.

Are you referring to the TV show, or a book I'm not aware of?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <03-07-14/2256:22> »
The tv show. Yes, AIs are created spontaneously rather than manufactured for a purpose, but their originating code is manufactured for a purpose.

You could almost rewrite the show to fit SR with Dorian being an AI evolved from an Mx, if SR hadn't taken the curious direction it did with humanoid drones.
« Last Edit: <03-07-14/2300:16> by Novocrane »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <03-07-14/2304:24> »
I understand what you mean about an AI being created with a purpose.  But rarely would that purpose involve even half the things that shadowrunners deal with.  Even if it's a combat program that's been turned loose, there are lots of runs that don't involve combat.  And I doubt that a combat AI would be comfortable with the face sitting around chatting his way through a problem when it could be shooting things.  I just can't see an AI being a typical shadowrunner.  The idea of the police drone program going rogue sounds interesting, but it should still be shackled to it's code in such a way that it wouldn't become a criminal.  I can really only see AIs being playable characters in a game that's designed explicitly around the AI.  And most tables wouldn't find that comfortable, giving that much of the spotlight to one player.

But now we're way off topic, and the lord of shadows has asked that I leave his thread.  Otherwise, his number of the beast reference might come out and get me.  *shivers in his boots*

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <03-08-14/0241:35> »
There's no such thing as a "combat AI" (there's AI's that came from combat programs, but they're still multi-dimensional sapient beings), Namikaze, and metasapient AI's simply aren't as alien as you seem to think.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <03-08-14/0735:40> »
Namikaze if you cannot understand how to role play an AI may I suggest you leave the thread and go back to reading unwired and the runners companion as it does describe it quite well in there.

There are many reasons why an AI could have come around, is it adapted programing or someone that was left inside during the crash. So if you cannot help a topic sod off, if you want to know why I am defensive is I came here for help about a set subject not have the character design questioned and people just saying no you are wrong, do not do it! Oh and the dragon thing, don't get me started on that one!

Novocrane, is it worth the watch I haven't heard of it before.