NEWS

[SR4] Extended Test & Extra Initiative Passes

• 2 Replies

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« on: <10-17-13/0933:43> »
Hello boys and gals!  i just had the most Mind Blowing idea, and i think a thousand others should have tough of this before but either way i have to ask, because for me its stands to reason, chrome and mojo able to give you extra initiative passes should reduce the time you take in making Extended test by at least one grade per extra IP, because after all this is you going faster, way way faster. Mainly mechanical skill not social or mental as the description clearly states that its your body that reacts faster not your mind (and this i put it to doubt, because if your body goes faster than your mind then you just go splat!). Either way what you think?
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

GreyHat

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <12-16-13/1350:50> »
Dunno, I think most long-term extended tests (longer than an action / IP based time-scale), even physical ones, aren't really about being able to move more quickly so much as they are about skill, knowledge and precision.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-16-13/1553:27> »
It depends.  Some will, like all extended tests that are measured in combat rounds or IPs (like searching for hidden nodes, which goes faster in VR than AR, the same with hacking by probing, where in AR you are in days and in VR in hours).

But others will not.  If you have to repair a car, there's only so much faster you can move to do everything.  No matter how fast you are, if for instance you have to drain the oil, you'll have to wait until it's all out before you can refill it.  And if you put the car on a bridge to do so, it will only go up and down with the speed of the bridge, not yours.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"