NEWS

Those of you w/ the core rulebook - help me make a badass!

• 89 Replies

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« on: <08-05-19/1354:46> »
Can I make an Elf character be a badass agility fighter that can compete with Trolls?

What should I make him? How should I make him? I have he 6e core rulebook now.  I want him to be good with guns also.

An Adept or maybe a Street Samurai?

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <08-05-19/2135:26> »
This should probably be in the Character Creation & Critique section of the forums, I think.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <08-05-19/2215:32> »
This should probably be in the Character Creation & Critique section of the forums, I think.
You are correct!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-06-19/0000:27> »
Not many people have the book yet, but I guess the questions would be.

1.  How much do you want to min max.
2.  Is an adept fine.
3. Is cyber/bioware fine.
4.  Is both fine.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <08-06-19/0215:08> »
On soak you'll be behind so I'd go with an augmented street sam using big weapons. Adepts face the nerf on Attribute Boost so I suspect they have it harder coming out of the gates. If you want to Unarmed, grab 6 [9] Strength and bone boosting for 7 DV. Melee electrical weapons are always nice due to Zapped, ranged BF lets you use Anticipation once in a while. Best combined with ambidextrous if you frequently want to.

Consider flashpaks to bully trolls trying to clobber you.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-09-19/1311:54> »
Yes you can
Watch Twilight sins on YouTube for example of a badass elf

Body is your most important stat if you plan tanking
Still important if you go another route

Study the cyberware and bioware carefully
Some options to help make a true street samurai

Decide what you want to be best at, combatwise.
Firearms or close combat

Reread cyberware and bioware to see what will boost your choices

I have half built an elven street samurai, but I started with concept, then cyberwate costs, before actually worrying about assigning priorities and figuring out where points will go

My elf on paper looks to be an even match for the combat Archtypes in the book

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <08-11-19/0234:18> »
I have the 6e core rulebook and want to make a great beast of a character but I am not sure what to roll.  I am trying to decide between Elf and Troll for race.  I like that Trolls are big and tough but I love the looks and feel of Elves. 

I am not sure if I want to go Combat Mage or Adept or Street Samurai. 

Help me please and give me some tips to help me make a combat badass with these in mind.  I am fine with being a melee beast with some good gun skill or a gun bunny with some good melee skill or instead, a badass Combat Mage.
« Last Edit: <08-11-19/1807:05> by Moonrunner »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-11-19/0615:51> »
I think that you should start thinking of the concept, the background, what drives you as a character. Rather than starting with the mechanics behind it...

Having said that, game mechanic wise when it comes to combat an elf have the potential for a lot higher agility and charisma while the troll have the potential for a lot higher body and strength.

This mean that Elf is mechanically better suited as a magician following the shamanistic tradition but will also deal more damage with both melee weapons and firearms.... while the Troll is mechanically better suited for unarmed combat and bows and also have the potential to soak more damage.

Neither have any offensive advantages nor disadvantages when it comes to the hermetic tradition, but since the troll have access to more soak he might mechanically be the slightly better option of the two for a magician of this tradition, at least in the long run.
« Last Edit: <08-11-19/0620:58> by Xenon »

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #8 on: <08-11-19/1258:45> »
You’d probably want to take this question over to the character creation forum. To comment though, you’ll want to give us an idea of what type of character you’re going for thematically wise so we can give you more focused mechanical ideas.

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <08-11-19/1313:50> »
See my post titled Mayor McCheeselord for a partial example of a troll build.

How it works out is that a troll build can *soak up* more damage than any other build.  They don't deflect it with high armor any more.  I'm eyeballing it here, but it would seem that they will be able to sustain about 4-5 solid hits in combat, done right, compared to the 2-3 most characters can absorb.  Not accounting for Stupid Edge Tricks, that is.

On the other side, a toon with high reaction high intuition character is your best bet for not taking damage in the first place, since that's your defense roll.  You'll also want a basket of Stupid Edge Tricks to use, so you can maximize your Edge gains and spends when dodging, evading, etc.  High athletics is good too.

Assuming you can figure out how all the various edge powers work, evading damage is the way to deal with combat now.  Slow trolls will now get hit pretty often, even if they usually gain Edge for the hit, and have more wound penalties at the upper end.  They also will need more healing way more often, and if they are cybered, you get penalized there too.

I suppose this was a way to incentivize even the supertrolls against standing in damage all the time, but it's a reality breaker that armor has no measurable effect when they do.  All armor (DR in general) does is better ensure a consistent Edge recharge rate if attacked, which means you have to be standing in damage to obtain it.  Not a great trade off. 

Mayor McCheeselord the Troll will almost always gain Edge when attacked, but all that does is to unlock the full array of Edge options when it happens.  I can do Stupid Edge Tricks on whoever attacks me first to best soak whatever that attack might be.  Who knows, maybe I will survive that first grenade after all.  If I don't use dice tricks, I'll take most of what anyone else would take anyway.  Even if the Edge saves my hoop on the first attack, it's a feeble argument that my armor actually much the lift there, because what really did it was my existing Edge pool getting nudged from "most of the options" to "all of the options".  The table experience of armor is minimal, even if the game effect is to unlock superior options.  Once I make a 5 Edge spend, then all those options vanish until I have stood in damage for at least 3 more turns to recharge it (assuming no other environmental factors can help me out). 

It strongly feels like the character that can evade damage will enjoy combat more.  Standing there eating damage, even if you can still function mostly fine afterwards (due to Pain Editors or what all) is less fun than taking 0 damage.  Taking 0 damage is what made the unstoppatrolls appealing.  That's gone in this edition.  If you want to have the take 0 damage experience, speed builds are your only route to go.  Even then, your dice pool max is not ever going to be much higher than your attacker's dice pool (as far as I can tell), so Edge Tricks and a high Edge Pool will be the thing that lets you have the experience when your dice go colder than your attackers.  Adepts may have some option for exceeding normal limits because they can buy skill dice. 

Go with high Attributes priority, and dump points into Reaction + Intuition and put meta points into Edge for the build.  Research the adept powers and cyber/bioware to see which gives you the best defensive options for Edge tricks.  As a secondary consideration, figure out a couple game plans for when you get hit anyway.  Do you want more damage boxes to take a bigger hit?  Do you want damage comps to prevent penalties so you have a better chance to keep dodging at your baseline while you run away?  Do you want auto-injectors to dump drugs into you when your biomonitor implant says it's time?  Or maybe you are just going to lean on the team's healer, and go in as an adept who is easy to heal.

Combat in 6 has reduced reward options without Edge.  You won't get spectacular hits (without Edge) and you won't make incredible dodges or soaks (without Edge).  The balance in 6 is around enforcing mediocrity as the baseline, and exceeding it only through the metamechanic, not through something you inherently built into an optimized state by the raw numbers of dice (other than optimizing how you can spend or gain the metacurrency).

Dodgey McEdgepants will have more inherent rewards between combats than a Mayor McCheeselord too.  You'll forever be struggling to heal up the Mayor by any means and paying the downtime tax waiting for him to heal between encounters.  You sideline your bullet sponge after every combat, or else see him degrade in effectiveness long before you get to the climax of the game (forget doing ticking clock runs with the Mayor). 

Dodgey ends up with less hits on the board, stays in combat longer since he's better at dodging, and spends less downtime healing up the lesser damage he took.  If he's an adept, he can be healed immediately by magic, and get back into the next fight like it's a video game.  If he's cybered though, that effect is strongly reduced, and he ends up paying the downtime tax to get back in the fight at full capacity.  So once again, in all aspects of that build, magic rules, mundanes drool.

Enjoy Magicrun!

Arglebargle

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <08-11-19/1931:48> »

My elf on paper looks to be an even match for the combat Archetypes in the book

To be fair, that's not a high mark.

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <08-11-19/2029:48> »
I think I want to make sn Elf Physical Adept that uses melee weapons and pistols as well.

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <08-11-19/2258:58> »
Also, is there a downloadable character sheet available anywhere?

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <08-12-19/0022:55> »
Ok.  I think I am going to try rolling up an Elf Physical Adept.  Any suggestions on priorities on the Priority Tale? Should I do Magic as Priority A?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #14 on: <08-12-19/0028:58> »
That depends on the exact clarification how adepts are supposed to work PP-wise in chargen.  :-\ Under current RAW of Chargen I'd say it's a really tough choice
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!