NEWS

Concept problems of sneaky assasin street scum

• 38 Replies

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <10-06-14/2030:40> »
i would suggest dropping intuition to 4 and body to three to raise willpower up to 3 for extra stun boxes and resistance tests. Min logic and low cha are things you can fix in play. Nothing wrong with one dump stat and a few low ones in a street scum game.

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

8-bit

« Reply #16 on: <10-06-14/2242:44> »
I personally think the Elf is a little more interesting thematically, but it's your decision.

I would recommend getting the full 25 points of negative qualities, it gives you more to work with. For the attributes, drop Body to 3, Reaction to 3 and put those 2 points into Willpower. You can always raise Logic later. 10 karma into nuyen will probably get you enough cash to afford Used Reaction Enhancers 3. Possibly drop one point in Disguise to get a specialization (probably Urban for Sarajevo) for Sneaking. Other than that it looks good.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <10-06-14/2340:47> »
If you want more attribute points then go Metatype C (ork)+Attributes D. Other than that - listen to the other guys and get your willpower to 3.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #18 on: <10-07-14/0259:03> »
ugh. I mean I know street scum is rough but man, that is painful to look at.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <10-07-14/0441:49> »
ugh. I mean I know street scum is rough but man, that is painful to look at.
I know what you mean. I don't want to insult anyone but this character is pretty weak, because that's what you get for minmaxing without knowing the system well enough. I'll try to make an alternative build (or two) later.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <10-07-14/0640:29> »
That's basically the problem: Minmaxing is much harder on Street Scum. So I'd avoid it myself and make a few sacrifices.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

norskface

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <10-07-14/0720:03> »
I dont feal insulted, just speak it out and comment. I have my problems my self to axcept it and its my second character after having a TM so Im not realy sure, what is best for him...

I wait till ZeldaBravo made is suggestion and than try it again.
@Zelda: How do you mean it with the Ork? From my perspective Str is not that important to me...

@8-bit: The Elf has its ways, but what do you say about the part mentioned before with the Edge? Especialy if I continiue the Mono wipe way.
Im still thinking of which negative Qualitys I take. May some predjedice against trolls or something...

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <10-07-14/0758:16> »

I wait till ZeldaBravo made is suggestion and than try it again.
@Zelda: How do you mean it with the Ork? From my perspective Str is not that important to me...
Simply put, strength gives you higher physical limit so you sneak better.
The dwarf is even better actually, here, have a look:
Magic B (Adept),  Meta C (Dwarf),  Skills D, Attributes E, Money E.
B 3
A 6
R 2(5)
S 3
W 3
I 4
L 1
C 3
Edge 2
Magic 6
Initiative 9+4d6
Limits:
Physical 5
Mental 3
Social 5
Qualities:
Natural athlete 7
Mentor spirit: Rat 5
13 points of negative qualities
Skills (dicepools in brackets):
Sneaking 4 (12)
Pistols 6 (12)
Clubs 6 (12) - this one is for the Stun Baton. You can change it to unarmed+shock gloves
Perception 4 (8)
Con 3(6)
Gymnastics 3 (11)
Locksmith 1 (7) - 2 karma
Running 1 (6) - 2 karma
Disguise 1 (5) - 2 karma
Palming 1 (7) - 2 karma
Influence skill group 1 (4) 5 karma. You can throw it away for extra cash or contacts.
Karma leftover: 1. Same as above, a bit of money or a contact.
Adept powers:
Improved reflexes 3, 3.5PP
Attribute boost (agility) 1, 0.25PP
Danger sense 1, 0.25PP
Danger sense 1, 0.5PP
Pain resistance 1, 0.5PP
Traceless walk, 1PP
Natural resistance 2, free from Mentor spirit.

I'll try to build a razorboy/girl too, but right now i must go back to work.
« Last Edit: <10-07-14/0817:37> by ZeldaBravo »

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <10-07-14/1225:54> »
zelda i like the build! He's not perfect, but he looks great for a street scum game. And being a dwarf you don't even notice he has 3 minimum stats

Then throw in a chameleon suit and a gun with a simple lazer sight and you are ready to rock and roll! I suggest the Ares Light Fire 70. Buy the optional silencer and a lazer sight and you are go for spec ops
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

8-bit

« Reply #24 on: <10-07-14/1244:43> »
@8-bit: The Elf has its ways, but what do you say about the part mentioned before with the Edge? Especialy if I continiue the Mono wipe way.
Im still thinking of which negative Qualitys I take. May some predjedice against trolls or something...

Edge is incredibly powerful, don't get me wrong. The thing is, especially at Street Scum level, you need the attribute bonuses you get from races other than Human in order to make things fit with your limited Priorities. Edge is the ultimate luck factor, it can turn the tables if used correctly. The problem arises when you need to Edge everything because you find yourself in the situation where you need to turn the tables all too often. I would definitely stick with Bows if you go with the Elf. In fact, I'll post a sample build you can draw from (and others can point out where I went wrong) down below.

--------------------------------------

-- Priorities --
Metatype D (Elf)
Attributes C
Magic E
Skills C
Resources D

-- Karma Expenditure --
50 Total
-22 in Qualities
-10 for 20,000 nuyen
-10 to Raise Edge to 2
-8 for Contacts

0 Left

-- Attributes --
Body 3
Agility 5
Reaction 2 (5)
Strength 5
Willpower 3
Logic 1
Intuition 5
Charisma 3
Edge 1
Essence 4.500

Initiative - 10 + 1d6
Physical Condition Monitor - 10
Stun Condition Monitor - 10
Physical Limit - 7
Mental Limit - 4
Social Limit - 5

-- Qualities --
Catlike (-7 Karma)
Indomitable - Physical (-8 Karma)
Natural Athlete (-7 Karma)
Incompetent - Close Combat (+5 Karma)
Allergy - Uncommon, Moderate [You decide] (+10 Karma)
Weak Immune System (+10 Karma)

-- Skills --
Influence 2 (I honestly hate this one, your dice pools aren't large enough for it, but you wanted some social skills)
Archery 6 (+2 Bows) - Dice pool of 11 (13)
Gymnastics 6 - Dice pool of 13
Palming 3 (+2 Legerdemain) - Dice pool of 8 (10)
Perception 3 (+2 Visual) - Dice pool of 8 (10)
Sneaking 6 (+2 Urban) - Dice pool of 13 (15)

-- Knowledge/Language Skills --
TBD - You have 12 points

-- Augmentations --
Reaction Enhancers 3 - Used - 29,250 nuyen | 1.125 Essence
Smartlink in Natural Eye - Used - 3,000 nuyen | 0.250 Essence
Image Link in Natural Eye - Used - 750 nuyen | 0.125 Essence

-- Gear --
Vashon Island: Sleeping Tiger w/ Thermal Damping 6, Nonconductivity 4 - 17,500 nuyen
Rating 5 Bow w/ Internal Smartgun System, Sling - 1,015 nuyen
Ammo: 10 Incendiary Arrows (Rating 5), 20 Stick-n-shock w/ Static Shaft Arrows (Rating 5), 10 Injection Arrows w/ Narcoject (Rating 5), 50 Standard Arrows (Rating 5) - 6,100 nuyen
Rating 6 Medkit - 1,500 nuyen
Transys Avalon Commlink - 5,000 nuyen
3 Meta Link Commlinks - 300 nuyen
Rating 6 Bug Scanner - 600 nuyen
Micro-Transceiver - 100 nuyen
Rating 6 White Noise Generator - 300 nuyen
Gecko Tape Gloves - 250 nuyen
Rating 6 Respirator - 300 nuyen
Survival Kit - 200 nuyen
Capacity 4 Glasses w/ Flare Compensation, Thermographic Vision, Vision Magnification, Vision Enhancement 1 - 1,900 nuyen
1 month of Low Lifestyle w/ Dangerous Area - 1,600 nuyen

Remaining Money - 335 + (3d6 x 60) nuyen

-- Contacts --
TBD - 9 free points + 8 through Karma

--------------------------------------

I don't know Sarajevo that well, so it might be worth it to get some Radiation protection and stuff. If you want, replace Sleeping Tiger with a Chameleon Suit w/ Thermal Damping 6 and Nonconductivity 3. This allows you to pick up a Yamaha Growler as well. Probably 2 karma into Pilot Groundcraft if you do that.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <10-07-14/1308:52> »
i see where you were going with the build 8 bit, i just prefer the adept route from the dwarf build. Then again you build is defiantly less min maxed and could be more flavorful. Makes a good case for a CCDDE build. No one else in the group has gone that route yet. The B is just so alluring even at the cost of two Es

Still it boils down to does norskface want to be a meta, or was he human for plot/story reasons?

8-bit

« Reply #26 on: <10-07-14/1405:52> »
i see where you were going with the build 8 bit, i just prefer the adept route from the dwarf build. Then again you build is defiantly less min maxed and could be more flavorful. Makes a good case for a CCDDE build. No one else in the group has gone that route yet. The B is just so alluring even at the cost of two Es

Still it boils down to does norskface want to be a meta, or was he human for plot/story reasons?

Oh, I agree. It's by no means the most min/maxed, and I tend to prefer Dwarf/Ork with C or D attributes. I could probably make another build that's a little better. He originally asked for a Sneaky Assassin, so that's what I went with. Elves can be really stealthy, and Bows are actually quite fantastic Assassin weapons. Injection Arrow is 7P + Net Hits + Power 15 Narcoject. That is seriously powerful. Incendiary Heads are also good. Stick-n-shock w/ Static Shaft Arrows give a pretty nice 12S damage without net hits.

About the only thing I don't like about adepts in a place like Sarajevo (although I have no experience with it, I'm comparing it to Chicago) is that background counts affect stuff. Not that bad of a penalty though.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <10-07-14/2304:07> »
I was worried about the background count too, but an adept route just gives too much power to ignore. I was assuming that street scum characters only get up to 13 karma though, so there is a lot of stuff to add.

8-bit

« Reply #28 on: <10-07-14/2307:21> »
I was worried about the background count too, but an adept route just gives too much power to ignore. I was assuming that street scum characters only get up to 13 karma though, so there is a lot of stuff to add.

Nah, Street Scum just alters priorities. They keep the same amount of Resources from Priorities and the same karma restrictions as Standard Level.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #29 on: <10-08-14/0812:10> »
That's Street Level, that limit indeed doesn't apply to Street Scum who instead have less Priorities. As for Background Count, it's a good idea for Adepts to get 2 initiations asap, with the second Adept Centering.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!