NEWS

[5e OOC] Sunt Venatores Venationem

• 1158 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #645 on: <05-21-15/1703:22> »
Any of those would be reasonable. We'll see what Mercer and Sister Rebecca accomplish first.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #646 on: <05-21-15/1853:35> »
Let's see if the Rigger is jumped in to the van, and cut off one avenue of escape.

Simple: Take Aim
Simple + Free: Called shot (Engine Block) on the enemy Roadmaster

Called Shot [Agi 9 + Longarms 6 + Smartgun 2 - Called Shot 2]: 15d6t5 3
Wow, I can't seem to get a break on these rolls. At least these terrible rolls have been hitting so far - lets see if my luck holds.

In somewhat related news, can I command the pilot with a Free action? I'm thinking I've done most of the damage I can do from out here and am thinking about my action economy next CT.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #647 on: <05-21-15/1927:14> »
@Mal, I wanna make sure I got this right.  From your previous post, I got Vera's damage as: "Vera is base 15P AP -4. With APDS and Vitals shot, she is 17P AP -8"

In the case of this shot it would be 15P -8AP, right?

Target is Unaware, so that's staged to 18P -8AP

I rolled 18 (BOD) + 18 (Armor) - 8(AP) = 28 dice and got 7 hits. 

Since DV = Armor, that means P damage, right?  So that means the vehicle is disabled since it took damage?

If I'm right about all that, then the Roadmaster is disabled.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #648 on: <05-21-15/1952:14> »
Vehicles can't take stun so if you don't equal or exceed the armor value then nothing happens, unless it's an Electrical attack. See Vehicle Stats and p. 199 and Vehicle Damage on p. 205. In this case it looks like Mercer has done that easily.

In a way, this is more of a Shooting Through Barrier issue (see p. 197) as the true target is the engine block. The damage unresisted by the barrier (the armor) gets passed along to the engine block. How much Body (or damage track) an engine block has is anyone's guess, but I would give it a soak roll to absorb the 11 boxes of damage that are left after the armor's resistance test.

I believe Mal was trying to scramble the brains of any rigger jumped into the Roadmaster, if there is one. Per p. 266, "Whenever the vehicle or drone you’re jumped into takes boxes of damage, you must resist half (rounded up) of that damage as Biofeedback damage." If applicable, I would probably make the Rigger resist (1+damage to engine)/2 as biofeedback. The +1 represents the damage done to the armor itself, which the rules suggest under Penetrating Weapons on p. 198.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #649 on: <05-21-15/2005:06> »
Ok, so it sounds like I did the math right. The Engine Block Called Shot from R&G says the effect is a disabled vehicle, if I'm reading it correctly.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #650 on: <05-21-15/2018:50> »
Yes, Run & Gun does seem to imply that.

I'm of two minds about this, because if I owned a Roadmaster I'd be pretty peeved if it got one-shotted. But the guy who sits behind me at work - who is a car fiend and a gamer himself - says that a round like this (high velocity, high caliber) would rip right through the engine block and probably keep going, completely disabling it in the process. So perhaps Run & Gun is accurate.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #651 on: <05-21-15/2156:49> »
I'm a little torn myself on this because in any vehicle with less armor than a roadmaster (i.e. most vehicles) this is a pretty easy shot to make. But, in real life, hitting something in the engine block with any respectable round would likely be pretty devastating. It's gameplay vs. reality - in reality, it's totally legit. In game, it seems pretty OP.

Also, R&G doesn't say what "disabled" actually means. I'm fine with the shot "disabling" the vehicle, but I think that the exact effects of "disable" are where we get into the meat of the shot. I think that it should perhaps be akin to some of the similar effects for called shots against a metahuman - something akin to Buckled (No movement - effectively - for DV-Body Test hits Turns), for example - though such effects imply some self healing capability of the vehicle (maybe technobabble it as rerouting power or compensating for a disabled subsystem). But the most logical, and most devastating, result would be that the vehicle can't move until at least one box of damage is repaired, which would effectively end a chase or getaway (though being out of commission for even a single CT probably would too). Alternatively (and less usefully for this particular case) you could make it equivalent to the Vitals called shot and just add +2 to the DV. Maybe up the DV bonus to compensate for the vehicle's increased condition monitor, but this keeps the shot more inline with the called shot penalty.

In short, I'd totally hate to have this used against me, but as written in the book, I don't see why it wouldn't be used all the time. So I'm fine with any GM modification to the rule you choose to make. The effect I want is obviously to hurt the rigger if he happens to be jumped in, but also to either keep the van locked down for a bit so that Ikiryo can't use it to get away (Mercer is unaware that he has received a fatal dose of lead) or force someone out of the van to present a new target.

Barring significant change to the battlescape outside the church, Mercer's plan going forward is to move closer to the church, tag the Americar with a tracker, and then - I don't know. Either join the fight in the church (most likely) or try to crack open the Roadmaster to get to the soft fleshy bits inside. Depends on how things progress outside - the gangers might solve the Roadmaster problem for him (though I tend to think they are more likely to meet a gory demise as the rigger brings more of his toys to the fight). At 20-40 m/turn, he's got a lot of time to consider his options.

If you'd rather just not deal with this particular called shot (or opt to make it similar to the Vitals called shot as mentioned above), I can change up my actions to be
Free: eject clip
Simple: Load tracker clip
Simple: Shoot Roadmaster (It'd use the same number of dice; no -2 for called shot, but -1 for no called shot and -1 for no image mag)

As an aside, tracker rounds do damage equal to a regular round, so 15P -4 AP for Vera. It won't hurt the Roadmaster but will still stick. I just bring this up in case I need to shoot something more fleshy before I've had a chance to swap the clip.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #652 on: <05-21-15/2236:14> »
One thing also to keep in mind is that during a car chase there would be fuether shot penalties and a dodge test that would make this kind of shot less of a no-brained. I'm still torn on how an anti-material rifle can disable an armored car in one shot and do stun damage to a troll, but. . .

As of right now, we're going to call it like Mercer feels good about the shot.

As for the action economy question from earlier, I think that issuing a pilot order would at the least be a Simple Action, if not a Complex Action. I'm leaning much more to Complex, as Mercer would need to punch In a destination.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #653 on: <05-21-15/2239:09> »
I think that issuing a pilot order would at the least be a Simple Action, if not a Complex Action. I'm leaning much more to Complex, as Mercer would need to punch In a destination.

What if you had the vehicle slaved to your comm and had a DNI? Could ya do it as a simple action?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #654 on: <05-21-15/2245:05> »
I think that issuing a pilot order would at the least be a Simple Action, if not a Complex Action. I'm leaning much more to Complex, as Mercer would need to punch In a destination.

What if you had the vehicle slaved to your comm and had a DNI? Could ya do it as a simple action?

Yeah, I could see that. Think there, go there kinda thing.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #655 on: <05-25-15/1157:10> »
CT 1 AP2
R 16
Achak 11
T 11
S 11
I 10 (Geeked)
Mercer 9
D 8

Sister Rebecca 3
A 1

"D" doesn't do anything that catches the attention of the team.

Action to Sister Rebecca.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #656 on: <05-25-15/1251:21> »
I was never sure from the rules, but can you quickdraw a sword?
« Last Edit: <05-25-15/1259:15> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #657 on: <05-25-15/1259:33> »
With the martial art Iaijutsu, p. 122 of Run & Gun.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #658 on: <05-25-15/1315:14> »
ok, then for Becca's actions, she's gonna

Simple: Draw Blade of Gabriel
Simple: put helmet on.
Free: Communicate sub-vocally with Achack. "Get the troll, I can handle the spirit."
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #659 on: <05-25-15/1316:27> »
was tempted to reckless cast armor, but i figured 2 guaranteed armor and no drain was a safer bet, considering the situation.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english