NEWS

[Resource][Martial Arts] Advanced Maneuvers

• 8 Replies

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« on: <04-04-12/0244:44> »
So, here's just a quick list of a few advanced maneuvers I think could add some awesome style to certain games. Especially those who want to deal with more modern, tactical requirements.

Bayonet Shot
Prerequisite(s): Finishing Move
     The Martial Artist may, after connecting with an attack using a mounted bayonet, expend a bullet to add -3 AP or +1 DV to his attack. On weapons with BF and/or FA options, the Martial Artist may choose to instead fire 3, 6, or 10 rounds, as appropriate for the weapon's available burst selections. When doing so, they may add -3 AP or +1 DV for each bullet fired, divided as they choose. All additional DV created by this Maneuver counts as a Narrow Burst modifier for Armor calculations. Bayonet Shot is an Interrupt Action but, for all firing options except the Full Burst, the character may still take a free action and a single Simple Action on their next Action Phase.

Bullet Shield
Prerequisite(s): Two-Weapon Fighting; Off-Hand Training (Shields).
     Through extensive training in the use of shields in active defense, the Martial Artist has gained increased ability to intercept and deflect incoming projectiles. When on Full Defense with a Shield, the Martial Artist may parry ranged attacks as they would a melee attack. The Off-Hand Training requirement is not waived for Ambidextrous characters.

Mixed Combat
Prerequisite(s): Two-Weapon Fighting
     The Martial Artist has advanced his studies in dual-weapon combat to the point where he is capable of seamlessly blending close-range defensive actions with ranged shooting. The benefits of Two-Weapon Fighting apply when making Ranged Combat attacks with weapons using the Pistols Skill, as well as Machine Pistols, in addition to melee weapons.
(Alternate: If you interpret TWF as applying to firing guns already, then have Mixed Combat give them the ability to use any other Martial Arts maneuver with firearms as well.)

Takedown
Prerequisite(s): Ground Fighting, Sweep, Throw
     The Martial Artist has mastered the art of manipulating his opponent's actions and body to the point where he can perform fast, hard takedowns with almost no notice. He may now inflict damage as per Throw (without the actual lateral movement) when entering Subdual Combat, and may initiate Subdual Combat (w/ Takedown bonus) instead of Throw whenever Throw would be triggered. Both the Martial Artist and the target are considered prone if the maneuver is successful.

EDIT: Fixed some things I'd missed while toying with the prerequisites, and tweaked the "alternate" benefit for Mixed Combat to better match its name.

EDIT 2: Added some suggestions.

EDIT 3: Re-tweaked Bayonet Shot to make it a little more flexible, since the adage is "+1 DV = -3 AP" and it seems like the attack could go both ways on applying to AP or DV.
« Last Edit: <04-05-12/0810:38> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #1 on: <04-04-12/0447:50> »
Applyin prerequisites is a very good idea. Seems it is almost time I have to move my ass and kic myself to assebly that fencing maneuvers Ive been talking/thinking about previously. With this Advanced idea, this should work very well.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-04-12/0551:36> »
Applyin prerequisites is a very good idea. Seems it is almost time I have to move my ass and kic myself to assebly that fencing maneuvers Ive been talking/thinking about previously. With this Advanced idea, this should work very well.

Thanks. :D

Any thoughts on the Maneuvers themselves, though?
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #3 on: <04-04-12/0641:50> »
Bayonet shot: I would rather see AP bonus for this, because if Bayonete attack connects, it damages armor and bullets has better way thorught. IMO (AP: -nethits for melee attack) can work also

Bullet shield: Nice :) replace "gunfire and other projectiles" with "ranged attacks" :)

Mixed combat: From this I have Mixed feelings, since there is Firecombat as martial art with its own rules

Takedown: Nice. Just...AFB now well Throw is considered deffensive action IMO, you may want to treat this Takedown as both, offensive and defensive, maneuver...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #4 on: <04-04-12/0935:37> »
Here are some I thought up.

Arrow Deflection
     The martial artist may Parry or Block thrown or projectile weapons as if they were melee attacks.

Arrow Reflection
Prerequisites:
Arrow Deflection
     When using Arrow Deflection, the Martial Artist may now redirect the attack back at the original attacker. Use the Thrown Weapons skill for this attack, and the DV of the attack is equal to the original attack's DV, regardless of the Martial Artist's modifiers. This counts as an Interrupt Action.

Weapon Shield
Prerequisites:
Arrow Deflection, Two Weapon Fighting
     When using two weapons, the martial artist may Block exotic weapons such as flamethrowers, water cannons, and the super-squirt. This maneuver cannot be used with Unarmed Combat.

Improved Weapon Shield
Prerequisites:
Arrow Deflection, Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Shield
     When using a Full Defense action against ranged attacks from firearms, and wielding two weapons, the Martial Artist may Block the incoming fire instead of Dodging it. Instead of Reaction+Dodge for the Full Defense, they may now use Reaction+Weapon Skill for the Full Defense. This maneuver cannot be used with Unarmed Combat.
« Last Edit: <04-04-12/1337:32> by Mirikon »
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #5 on: <04-04-12/1312:20> »
How very anime style, that missile deflection. Cool stuff.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-05-12/0813:47> »
Bayonet shot: I would rather see AP bonus for this, because if Bayonete attack connects, it damages armor and bullets has better way thorught. IMO (AP: -nethits for melee attack) can work also

Bullet shield: Nice :) replace "gunfire and other projectiles" with "ranged attacks" :)

Mixed combat: From this I have Mixed feelings, since there is Firecombat as martial art with its own rules

Takedown: Nice. Just...AFB now well Throw is considered deffensive action IMO, you may want to treat this Takedown as both, offensive and defensive, maneuver...

Good suggestions. Adjusted. ;D

EDIT: Having second thoughts about Bayonet Shot. Decided to make it so you could divvy it up between +DV and  -AP.
« Last Edit: <04-05-12/0816:13> by JustADude »
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-05-12/1424:23> »
You sir watched too much Big trouble in Little China... ;) Catch and throw! Boom! Headshot!  8)

DoubleTap

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <04-06-12/0734:03> »
I like them.  Mixed combat is very cool, because in some real world military circles, using a knife, and pistol in conjunction is effective, and great for getting in close and dirty
always Double Tap.
I'm a engineer if I cant fix it I can damn sure break it. (SSG Brown 12B osut instructor)