NEWS

Initiation and Chargen

• 7 Replies

忍

« on: <02-08-16/2129:25> »
Maybe I'm tripping out, but you not initiate at chargen? I can't find a line in core that says that, but I honestly think that you can't.

Any help from those saner than I?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-08-16/2131:45> »
It came up when the core book first came out, and official word seemed to be that you can't, but, honestly, I don't see a big deal in it. All it'd basically mean is starting the game with a meta-magic ability (can start with Magic 7 anyway through Exceptional Attribute in SR5).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #2 on: <02-08-16/2142:25> »
There is no definitive 100% answer, but it is prohibited during Missions play, which some would take to mean it's not supposed to be allowed for game balance reasons.

Some GMs allow it, if only to suit a particular character concept. For instance, SR4 made it a lot easier to be a Rigger / Technomancer. But these days, it requires Submersion (TM version of Initiation) to purchase an Echo (TM version of Metamagic) in order to mimic a Control Rig's effects. So some GMs will allow it simply so you can play a "Dronomancer" from the start.

Some GMs do not allow it, viewing the overall concept akin to Archmages in fantasy settings. Undergoing Initiation, gaining access to the Metaplanes, and learning hidden mysteries of the arcane... aren't things that a fresh recruit who just hit the mean streets of Seattle should have under their belt. Remember, Standard level toons are people who have been Running long enough to "know the ropes" but not long enough to really make a name for themselves. So you can't really walk into the bar and introduce yourself as Merlin (and mean it). Now if you're playing Prime Runner characters, then it's more likely to have an Initiation or two under your belt by that level.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-08-16/2157:37> »
It hasn't come up in any of my games recently, but I think that I would probably be okay with letting a player starting out with one initiation grade.  I use initiation enough on my major NPCs that they're still hardly the fish in the pond.  I tend to have more experienced initiates look at that first initiation as your first step into a larger world, or even the end of an apprenticeship.  If someone in one of my games starts acting like they're drek-hot because they've initiated once, they're going to be right for a couple of runs as they shit all over corp sec and arcane security contractors, but then they're going to be in for a rude awakening when they have to square off against an Aztechnology blood mage or a member of MRU13.
The power of the Tri-Horse!

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-08-16/2204:26> »
My personal opinion is that if initiation (and submersion) were allowed at character creation, they would be mentioned somewhere in the description of Step Seven (spending leftover Karma).  I could see allowing a level or two of it as a house rule, though.

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-08-16/2212:43> »
I believe Aaron (or maybe it was Kincaid, I'm old, so forgive me) said that by RAW you could not but that he didn't think it unbalancing if a GM allowed it as a house rule. 

So like most things, ask your GM if he'd allow it.

Personally I'd allow one initiation/submersion but you have to pay full price (no group or ordeal discounts for example).

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-09-16/0148:48> »
I think initiation is almost necessary if only for the spell shaping metamagic

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #7 on: <02-09-16/0149:21> »
Or Masking, or Centering...
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?