NEWS

Restricted Gear Quality and Thunderstruck

• 45 Replies

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #30 on: <01-21-15/0010:19> »
Wisdom is so...  wait, there's a new toy!  Oh boy!

:P
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <01-21-15/0702:47> »
hoooow is this thread still going? Like really that thing is one of the most powerful weapons in the game.. and you want it at character gen... of a regular level game...

*shakes head at some people*
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #32 on: <01-21-15/0751:54> »
What's wrong with that? No one seems to have a problem with the Ares Alpha being available and you don't really get a better assault rifle than that.
Hell, I want a character with a Minigun at CC, because it is awesome.

So many weapons are so awesome but never see use because their availability score is so darn high.
Maybe that's just the little pink Mohawk in me who wants to see cannons fired and missiles launched now and again.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <01-21-15/0826:26> »
It's not their availability, but rather their legality and other characteristics, like the sound they make. People may become used to gunfire in certain areas, but hearing assault cannons and explosions is on a completely different level.
Take some high edge bioware like the suprathyroid gland. You'll be able to use it much more consistently and it's hard to detect (unless they watch your calory intake :)).

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <01-21-15/1150:40> »
hoooow is this thread still going? Like really that thing is one of the most powerful weapons in the game.. and you want it at character gen... of a regular level game...

It isn't like people are wanting THOR shots or ICBMs or stuff of that nature.

As to this weapon (as well as the laser weapons), it's just plain silly for taking the Quality to get the weapon to not 'unlock' the ammo as well, as there is no point in having the weapon if you can't actually USE it.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <01-21-15/1212:36> »
I would not allow someone to buy the Thunderstruck, ammo, and battery packs for one use of the restricted gear quality, and I think RAW is pretty clear on this

I also would not allow someone to use the quality to buy a Barret Model 121 and EX-Explosive ammo (availability 14F).

Availability limits exist. The quality is pretty clear in what is does and does not allow in my opinion.
« Last Edit: <01-21-15/1422:36> by Herr Brackhaus »

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <01-21-15/1300:28> »

It isn't like people are wanting THOR shots or ICBMs or stuff of that nature.

As to this weapon (as well as the laser weapons), it's just plain silly for taking the Quality to get the weapon to not 'unlock' the ammo as well, as there is no point in having the weapon if you can't actually USE it.

I agree but my view is why take the weapon when you know you can't get ammo and energy packs for it.  There are too many comparable options you could take to jimmy in the ammo and energy packs for this thing. 

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #37 on: <01-21-15/1438:34> »
its easy enough to get a decent rating fixer to source the ammo at game start for you, given you can save a couple of k from chargen and carry it over in-game. you can jack it into a heavy weapon mount on a drone/vehicle or that smart firing platform and draw power from that, bypassing the need for the energy clips.
TBH though, its such a ridiculously big and brazen weapon that outside of a warzone, the retaliation is probably going to outweigh the benefit of using it
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <01-21-15/1709:50> »
While Id certainly give the power pack at the least with it.

Still at the quote frankly over costed 10 points I can't fathom using it on a relatively cheap weapon you can pick up in game. 24 isn't that high of an obstacle if you have decent contacts. Now high cost items that also require surgery or other additional time requirements I get. Though I still think at 10 points it's not worth it.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <01-21-15/1858:19> »

Still at the quote frankly over costed 10 points I can't fathom using it on a relatively cheap weapon you can pick up in game. 24 isn't that high of an obstacle if you have decent contacts. Now high cost items that also require surgery or other additional time requirements I get. Though I still think at 10 points it's not worth it.

Looking through my books I can only find one item with an avail higher than 24 and that is Damage Compensators  rating 9-12.  Avail 24 items are pretty much the hardest to get items in the game so far as I can tell. 

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <01-21-15/2003:02> »

Looking through my books I can only find one item with an avail higher than 24 and that is Damage Compensators  rating 9-12.  Avail 24 items are pretty much the hardest to get items in the game so far as I can tell.

That doesn't make them hard to get with a good contact. The benefit of restricted isn't getting the item. It's getting the item with starting resources so you don't have to save nuyen for dozens of runs to afford the item. Thst is why it should be used on expensive items like bioware. Sadly I find the quality to be more of a patch for the economy.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <01-21-15/2129:42> »
Slightly off-topic: can you use the Restricted Gear quality to get Delta grade cyber/bioware?
« Last Edit: <01-21-15/2134:01> by Herr Brackhaus »

8-bit

« Reply #42 on: <01-21-15/2132:24> »
Can you use the Restricted Gear quality to get Deltaware cyber/bioware?

Although I can't be sure, since I don't actually know, I don't think you can. It breaks the Availability limit, not the Grade limit. Then again, the description is "getting your hands on that one rare item", so it might.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <01-21-15/2138:36> »
I think that might be a case of RAW you can still only get Aphaware... RAI may be "ask the GM who may be looking for a plot hook about someone looking to get their merchandise back"
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <01-21-15/2139:44> »
Can you use the Restricted Gear quality to get Deltaware cyber/bioware?

Although I can't be sure, since I don't actually know, I don't think you can. It breaks the Availability limit, not the Grade limit. Then again, the description is "getting your hands on that one rare item", so it might.
Good point; does that mean a Rating 7 commlink is out of the question too (not that it's worth it, but it's a Device Rating higher than normally allowed)?