Surge Karma costs [SR5]

• 7 Replies

忍

« on: <01-09-15/0437:53> »
Does each class of surge cost you karma of their respective amount:
class 1:10 karma
class 2:15 karma
class 3:30 karma
Then each class has a limit for metagenic qualities equal to its cost?
ie.
class 1: 9 karma pos qual/8 karma neg qual
class 2:13 karma pos qual/13 karma neg qual
class 3:28 karma pos qual/27 karma neg qual

Am I understanding this right?

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-09-15/0606:53> »
Where are you reading the limit?  ??? Honest question.
I understood the Karma Limit on picked qualities as applying to each singular quality, aka Surge I only allowing metatype cosmetic changes.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

8-bit

« Reply #2 on: <01-09-15/1804:07> »
You can take any number of Positive Qualities and any number of Negative Qualities, regardless of your SURGE Class, as long as they end up in a Karma ratio of 1:1, or you have one more Karma's worth of Positive Qualities than Negative Qualities. Really, all the class does is change what choice you have over your SURGE, and it has recommendations for GMs to limit the lower levels of SURGE.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-09-15/1958:57> »
You can take any number of Positive Qualities and any number of Negative Qualities, regardless of your SURGE Class, as long as they end up in a Karma ratio of 1:1, or you have one more Karma's worth of Positive Qualities than Negative Qualities. Really, all the class does is change what choice you have over your SURGE, and it has recommendations for GMs to limit the lower levels of SURGE.

That is not how I read it.  pg. 103 of Run Faster says:

SURGE can happen to anyone and anything. Creating a changeling character requires the player to choose a level of SURGE: Class I (10 Karma), Class II (15 Karma), or Class III (30 Karma). The chosen class indicates the Karma limit of chosen metagenic qualities and determines the variability of SURGE characteristics for the character.

This says to me that the most karma you can spend on a Class I changeling is +/- 10 karma, +/- 15 for a Class II and +/- 30 for a Class III.  You don't have to go all the way to the limit if you don't want to but you can't go over.  The part about balancing positive and negative qualities is correct, however.

8-bit

« Reply #4 on: <01-09-15/2019:03> »
Hmm, I suppose that's how it works. All right, thanks for pointing that out, I missed that.

Oscar White (OW/Grey-Sniper)

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-09-15/2108:29> »
Near the end of the first paragraph of Creating a Changling on pg. 103 it does though say:

Players with Class I characters
select all qualities randomly. They initially should roll
random Positive Qualities until they have what they believe
to be a sufficient amount (maximum Karma value
of these qualities is 30).

Since Class 1 characters are the only ones that roll random for Positive Qualities this should not be giving the maximum for class 3.  Additionally the table for random PQs on pg. 108 has a result (6) with the range of 13-20 which would be outside the limit implied of 10.  Tables on pg. 110  have 17 results for PQ that are in excess of 10.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-09-15/2211:06> »
That does seem to conflict with the passage I quoted.  One or the other must be in error.  Given that class I is supposed to be a relatively minor mutation I can't see allowing 60 (total) karma of randomly generated qualities.  But who knows.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-10-15/0613:19> »
Maybe 30 Karma total is the upper limit for class 1, and in 2 and 3 you pick that yourself as you pick the positives yourself?
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.