NEWS

What's your favorite heavy pistol?

• 91 Replies

Facemage

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <10-05-15/0425:03> »
Revolvers: noted by the revolving cylinder. With a single round fired per trigger depression
Semi-automatic: with a self cocking feature, with a single to three rounds fired per trigger depression.
Machine-pistol: self-cocking feature, continous fire per single trigger depression.

But this is interesting. Look at the google and you can see that burst fire capable pistols are always classified to machine pistols category. That's why Savalette guardian should be also in machine pistols? And that's why the question is: If I have a pistol skill with semiautomatics specialization, should I get the 2 bonus dices, if I use savalette guardian with burst fire?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <10-05-15/0428:35> »
First and foremost: Wear a lined coat for another -1 to concealment. Second: If you have time you can do your palming check beforehand and maximize your result. Weapon scanners are not fooled by either - no matter what size your gun is. By RAW they ignore concealment. That's why you should have a hacker in your team.

Pistols are an important weapon type because they can be quick drawn. A simple action can be used for a lot of things that need two hands - being able to draw and fire in the same complex action can really make a big difference.

@Semi Auto:
The Guardian is a heavy pistol and is not SS - therefore it's neither a machine pistol nor is it not a semiautomatic. It's burst mode is just a bit faster than that of other semi automatic pistols.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Facemage

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <10-05-15/0550:41> »
True, it is possible to get -4 bonus with lined coat and wireless concealable holster! Thanks Jack_Spade.

By rules, if you retry, you get -2 penalty to new tries. With a long break ( a gm discretion is needed) it is possible to retry without penalties, but I think that this is not the case in palming tests. Let us suppose that you have 6 dices in palming pool and I think that it is stupid to allow throwing unless you get 4-5 hits. As a gm I might set it such that retrying penalty is removed after 12 hours or so.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <10-05-15/0613:11> »
That sounds a bit harsh. Just have a chummer and ask him if he can find the gun - then readjust until it's no longer readily findable.
In game terms: Make it an extended test.

The stealth group is tremendously useful. At least one of the team should have 10+ dice. That one can take care of the hiding.
Hell, just get your face to do his leadership thing so you do a better job with hiding your gear.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #34 on: <10-05-15/2128:08> »
Favorite Heavy Pistol?

At third place (yeah going in reverse order) is the Ares Predator V. The measuring stick of all HP's, if you want something good right out of the box, it's a good choice especially for new players who are learning the finer points of the rules.

At second place is the Colt Agent Special. Basically a shorter 1911 (which I love), it's great as a backup weapon with nice punch at a decent price.

And at my first place is the Colt Government 2066 (seeing a trend here?). To me it's the Sixth World version of the 1911 and did I mention I love that weapon? I dig the electronic trigger, and accuracy of this weapon. It's a classic accuracy over punch.

Also, why use a heavy pistol? Well I believe there are different pistols for different jobs. Heavy pistols are the ones one uses when you're expecting to see combat and aren't worrying about concealment. For "everyday carry" or concealed use, then yes I'd go with a Colt L36. Almost as good as the 2066, with BETTER accuracy and for over 100 nuyen less.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <10-06-15/0342:19> »
I feel like Mystic is trying to tell us to "Trust the Legend!™", though as a nitpick the Agent Special  is actually a light pistol.

Although if you're going with Colt, why not the Future Frontier?  For those times when you want that classic Peacemaker look with Sixth World Engineering to back it up!  7 round cylinder lets you load 6 shot and have the 7th resting empty under the hammer for standard carry!  So stylish!

For my personal preferences I usually lean towards the Savalette Guardian.  I have a soft spot for the Ares Slivergun but the accuracy gods were not friendly to that weapon at all.  That said, I'll admit that I am a little sad that 5th edition seems to be currently missing both the Colt Manhunter and the Ruger Thunderbolt.

To say nothing of the HK Urban Fighter.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <10-06-15/0441:33> »
I loved the Thunderbolt! With its absence, I'm still trying to find one to replace it. I'm currently leaning towards either the Colt or Browning heavy pistols.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #37 on: <10-06-15/0909:14> »
Personal Pref
Shiawase Heavy Tactica (GH P.27)
Walther Secura Kompact W/ Smartlink (Ar P.24)
Cavalier Deputy (Ar P.22)
Cavalier Sheriff (GH2 P. 48)

Though I mainly use them as back up or point shooting when my MP runs dry or it's not advantageous at the moment.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <10-09-15/2159:39> »
Colt Manhunter
Colt Agent
Ares Lightfire
Streetline Special

Maybe one or two versions of a few of these heavily modded for one function or another.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Tai-Pan

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
  • Everything is better with lube.
« Reply #39 on: <10-10-15/0430:27> »
So very happy the Manhunter is Back in Hard Targets.
Troll bioadept with a throwing knife and a lube grenade looking for a good time.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #40 on: <10-10-15/1618:23> »
I like the wireless free (except holo sight boni) on the manhunter. Also I like the the Lamat in Hard Targets as well. Heavy revolver with a shotgun. Besides the new ones, I like the Salvetti Guardian and the Warhawk. Roomsweaper gets honorable mention.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #41 on: <10-10-15/1632:07> »
I'd go with the Savalette Guardian.
High Damage + Burst is just to use full and with extended Mags in the belt, you can send out a lot of hurt.
Ruger Super Warhawk was never high on my list, but since we finally got the ammoskip system back, he gets a mention as a high utility secondary device.
Would load the drum with SnS, Tracker, APDS, chemical, flechette, gel and maybe a normal round to have a Swiss gun-knive for an adept.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #42 on: <10-10-15/1721:05> »
I like the Warhawk for loading it with ADPS and using it when the fool is not aware. Plus, it is a good intimidation weapon.
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #43 on: <10-10-15/1740:31> »
Especially with the new custom look rules :-)
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #44 on: <10-10-15/1745:23> »
Yeah, I do like ammo skip as well, plus give it melee harden then you have a "one handed club"/hand cannon.