NEWS

Sell me on skillwires

• 81 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <05-11-14/0029:03> »
For various reasons, I see it more as GM/Corporation tool than a Shadowrunner one, as most groups are willing to hire experts in an area rather than have a "Swiss Army Knife".  Then again, some groups like Technomancers, who are the Decker version of Swiss Army Knives, so take of it what you will.

Just remember that Skillwires are addictive.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Demon_Bob

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <05-11-14/0251:40> »
For various reasons, I see it more as GM/Corporation tool than a Shadowrunner one, as most groups are willing to hire experts in an area rather than have a "Swiss Army Knife".  Then again, some groups like Technomancers, who are the Decker version of Swiss Army Knives, so take of it what you will.

Right now it seems that in our group only 4 or 5 of the 7 total players ever show up for a run, so having  a Swiss Army Knife character is useful.
One guy has run several other games and had little chance to play, but right now his job schedule at this time of year is full and less predictable.
Another guy has some health problems, so he can't always make it.
The others who miss haven't told me what's up with their schedule.

Ishmell

• Newb
  • Don't be silly, everything has a melting point.
« Reply #17 on: <05-11-14/1313:06> »
Always thought of skillwires as a gm's tool than a player one.
Majored in mechanics at law school.

MortimerBane

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <05-11-14/1359:51> »
Skill wires are for a niche kind of character.  They allow you to 'alter' your character to suit the mission instead of altering the plan to suit the players.  You can make a total muscle head and skimp on the skills as he can just buy the chips he needs for a particular mission.  I most often used lingua softs and B&E skills on my old 3rd Ed. skillz-guy.  Doing a mission on the Amazon... pick up pilot: boat.  Need to go in through the roof on the next mission to avoid alarms... pick up some climbing and lockpicks.  Hitting up a Horizon research lab in a couple days... pick up a copy of Horizon Security Procedures and know the response times and numbers you will see if you trip an alarm.  It's nice to know when/where your enemies are coming from.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #19 on: <05-11-14/1502:11> »
Skill wires are for a niche kind of character.

Irony!  You definitely do have to build the character specifically to be making use of what is at base a generalization tool.

Knowsofts are a bigger deal than I think people realize.  Like you mentioned with the Security Procedures one, they can offer you specific insight into what your next run will be about.  Moreso than any simple Matrix search would get you.  Also, with Run & Gun introducing the Small Unit Tactics knowledge skill and it's clear mechanical applications, that's a great thing to have a knowsoft of.  Even if someone else already has the skill and is the leader, it allows you to add to their dice pool via teamwork or take over if they're unable to lead.

Though now I'm considering making a houserule for Knowsoft Availability.  I did it for Activesofts already; it should be harder to find knowsofts for stuff like Military Technology than Economics.

I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <05-11-14/1824:47> »
I love KnowSofts and LinguiSofts!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <05-11-14/2042:43> »
I love KnowSofts and LinguiSofts!

I miss my 2-slot Chipjack so much  :(
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

$/@mm-0!

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <05-26-14/0155:22> »
Good to know I have been hashing out a ex corp programmer who his corp wanted to save money so they put skill wires in him to be more "useful" if there is a problem. OH did I mention they have a back door to his cyber and he tends to wake up in strange places. Im sure its not an original idea but it could be fun. =0)
$/@mmZ3r0

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #23 on: <05-26-14/1508:17> »
Good to know I have been hashing out a ex corp programmer who his corp wanted to save money so they put skill wires in him to be more "useful" if there is a problem. OH did I mention they have a back door to his cyber and he tends to wake up in strange places. Im sure its not an original idea but it could be fun. =0)

You should consider the possibility of playing a CFD-infected person then.  There's some details in Stolen Souls on how to run that kind of situation.  Here's a preview though: it ends badly for the originating personality.  Still, the struggle can be the focus of an entire campaign.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

$/@mm-0!

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <05-26-14/1704:54> »
OOO that's a good idea I was also gonna give him a BTL problem as well. Hes gonna be based off the Postal Dude from the awful (but great) postal games. He ended up getting cyberware to save his life after a major injury. Sooo yeah reality is already distorted for him so this could be very fun  ;D
« Last Edit: <05-26-14/1713:21> by $/@mm-0! »
$/@mmZ3r0

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #25 on: <05-26-14/1751:56> »
They're nice in theory, but I feel they're prohibitively expensive (not the skillwires themselves, which I think are just about right, but the actual activesofts), which greatly cuts down on their usefulness/viability.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <05-26-14/1807:24> »
I liked them in 4th, particularly for knowledge and language skills. But in 5th they're quite brutally expensive. I can't see myself affording them on most characters.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #27 on: <05-26-14/2307:36> »
For me, skillwires are a great thing for any non-Awakened, non-emerged character who is looking to play extra roles in the party. Not talking the street sammy, they've got too much on their plate already. But a set of skillwires (plus the appropriate skillsofts) can make a Face's job of infiltrating someplace a piece of cake. And there are personafix chips, which sometimes include skillsofts in them. I wouldn't replace core skills for your character with skillsofts (a Face who uses a Con skillsoft is not a Face), but for some less-generally-useful skills that make all the difference when you need them? Yeah. A skillsoft about parachuting, for instance, would be awesome before your HALO insertion, for instance. If a character primarily uses ranged attacks, and is on a run where they screen for weapons, then an Unarmed Combat skillsoft will make a big difference. So I can definitely see a use for them. The problem is the cost of skillsofts is so high. Honestly, I never used them in 4th unless you used either one of the rental services that allowed you to 'borrow' a skillsoft for a couple hours, or some hacked skillsofts that were a fraction of the price, but degraded over time unless you manually patched them. I also liked using personafixes on some of my characters, especially ones with included skillsofts.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #28 on: <05-27-14/1218:05> »
They're nice in theory, but I feel they're prohibitively expensive (not the skillwires themselves, which I think are just about right, but the actual activesofts), which greatly cuts down on their usefulness/viability.
QFT

I'm actually playing a skillwire based "Street Sam" (went for mostly concept over mechanics) in a PbP over on Dumpshock. Statistically average ork with some basic combat cyber enahncements and skillwires/jack/activesoft. Basically an attempt by a corp to create a mass produced soldier. The costs for new activesoft is pretty excessive, even discounting our table's street index rule. The team decker is actually quite a bit better at shooting stuff, but he's serviceable. His main advantage now is that he makes a good decoy as he looks big and threatening, but has little else to spend Edge on besides dodging attacks, soaking damage, or blitzing since almost none of his skills benefit from it, LOL.
« Last Edit: <05-27-14/1219:46> by JackVII »
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #29 on: <05-27-14/1401:57> »

I agree...  Activesofts are terribly costly, especially for a Street Samurai or Decker who will be saving up their money for big purchases.  Makes them easier to use for people like the Face.

I houseruled over the rule from 4th edition about pirated software.  Based on those rules, it costs 10% of the price, but it's rating decays at a rate of 1 every two months.  It can be restored to full rating by either paying 10% of the difference between the two rating's normal prices or by making a Software + Logic roll with an interval of 1 week, and a threshold equal to 2 x the difference of it's current and original rating.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.