NEWS

Gear for 5th ed Sam builds

• 80 Replies

ZombieAcePilot

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <07-28-13/1456:25> »
There was a section for riggers that talked about deckers vs riggers. The same thing they said applies to this situation. Why be afraid of a decker you could kill with ease? Sure he could brick some cyber you have (which is fixable, fyi), but then you pop a cap in his ass and its all over.

If I were a decker (which I will be soon, muhahaha) I would concentrate my efforts on things like vehicles, security systems, gun platforms, etc. Why would I go through the effort of bricking your gun or ware when you will just pull out another gun? And now you have a new gun and want to kill me. Nah, I'll get some giant crane to drop something on you instead. Much more effective.

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <07-30-13/1625:05> »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn reaction enhancers don't stack with wired reflexes.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-30-13/1701:26> »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn reaction enhancers don't stack with wired reflexes.

They do if the wireless mode is enabled.

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <07-30-13/1726:06> »
yeah, I went through and reread that, and thought I had edited my post to say 'hey, my mistake' sadly, the edit did not go through.

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <07-31-13/1958:04> »
There was a section for riggers that talked about deckers vs riggers. The same thing they said applies to this situation. Why be afraid of a decker you could kill with ease? Sure he could brick some cyber you have (which is fixable, fyi), but then you pop a cap in his ass and its all over.

If I were a decker (which I will be soon, muhahaha) I would concentrate my efforts on things like vehicles, security systems, gun platforms, etc. Why would I go through the effort of bricking your gun or ware when you will just pull out another gun? And now you have a new gun and want to kill me. Nah, I'll get some giant crane to drop something on you instead. Much more effective.

Or, assuming their datajack is in their head (it probably is) you brick it, and it sparks and turns to slag in their brain, killing them or turning them special needs.

Fluff describes things as overheating, sparking, ect when theyre bricked. Its a logical extension, though not specifically supported by RAW
« Last Edit: <07-31-13/2006:56> by Emil_Barr »

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <07-31-13/2010:05> »

Or, assuming their datajack is in their head (it probably is) you brick it, and it sparks and turns to slag in their brain, killing them or turning them special needs.

Fluff describes things as overheating, sparking, ect when theyre bricked. Its a logical extension, though not specifically supported by RAW

At worst, I'd have a bricked implant deal a small amount of damage - there's some serious game balance implications to it being practical to actually take someone down this way.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <07-31-13/2036:07> »

At worst, I'd have a bricked implant deal a small amount of damage - there's some serious game balance implications to it being practical to actually take someone down this way.

Well we already know they can make your grenades explode if their wireless is on. It doesnt seem *that* much different to me that killing you by makin your datajack melt in your skull.

But Ill admit, the damage it would di is highly debatable.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-31-13/2107:28> »
At this point datajacks are pretty mature technology, I'd bet they are designed to brick themselves rather than fry the brain. Note that all of the descriptions of sparking etc are on the external housing side. 

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <07-31-13/2202:28> »
^ this. datajack bricked issues a bit of smoke and sparks on the outside but the user's brain takes no damage. Too OP otherwise.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-31-13/2307:03> »

Well we already know they can make your grenades explode if their wireless is on. It doesnt seem *that* much different to me that killing you by makin your datajack melt in your skull.

That requires that they have the grenade's wireless on for long enough for the hacker to get 1 Complex and 1 Free action in.  That's a fair bit different from potentially requiring only one data spike.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #25 on: <08-01-13/0646:36> »
Implanted commlinks and wired reflexes with wireless on are a bit of a bad idea then. Paralyzed or dead... Think I'll stick with my adept :-)
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <08-01-13/0709:10> »
Paralyzed requires some writing between the lines.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <08-01-13/0834:03> »
You do know it only take a simple toolkit (500¥) and one single hit on a Hardware + Logic [Mental] test to restore full functionality in a bricked device, right?

If you don't have Hardware skill you can even default.
Defaulting Attribute for Hardware is Logic

Emil_Barr

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <08-01-13/1405:21> »
You do know it only take a simple toolkit (500¥) and one single hit on a Hardware + Logic [Mental] test to restore full functionality in a bricked device, right?

If you don't have Hardware skill you can even default.
Defaulting Attribute for Hardware is Logic

Can a hardware check be used to fix my brain when my datajack explodes, or fix my fried nervous system when my Wired Reflexes go haywire? :P

Thats not even getting to the fact that I have to be gut open to even *get* to the Wired Reflexes.

This stuff really wasnt throught through.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-01-13/1407:49> »
Where did you see that either of those things happen? I mean as a GM you could house rule that sort of thing for cyberware, but nowhere in the book that I can see does it say that hacking cyber can have any negative effects beyond negating the cyber.

Specifically the datajack thing is REALLY silly (It's a 50 year old technology why would you leave that in) and Wired can be turned off just fine without paralysis.