NEWS

warhawk. underrated?

• 82 Replies

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« on: <04-08-13/1758:22> »
does anybody else agree that ruger's super warhawk is underrated? i mean, give it a couple mods and it's shootin 8DV at -3AP on SA mode! throw in some EX rounds, you've got yourself a close range gauss rifle! care to disagree?
Onward all you crystal soldiers.
Touch tomorrow, energize.

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #1 on: <04-08-13/1840:55> »
missed the bit about using high powered rounds..

ImmortalShade

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-08-13/1922:48> »
depends on the gm, but there is a lot of.... discussion about whether or not high powered chambering/rounds should be an "ammo mod" or stand alone. 

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #3 on: <04-08-13/1950:24> »
The Warhawk is the most potent non-high-powered pistol in the game, and with an ammunition selector you can have a gun which shreds drones (AV), kills foes dead (Ex-Ex), Shreds unarmoured animals peerlessly (Flachette), and more importantly can switch to whatever role is needed at a moment's notice. For a side arm, that is awesome.

As a primary weapon the Warhawk suffers the lack of range common to all pistols, along with a low ammunition capacity and poor reload time compared to most clip-fed weaponry. It's a great weapon, of that there is no doubt, but its place is a backup weapon that can deal with any situation for 1-2 shots, not as a primary firearm. Also, it's difficult to silence which is a major problem for most runners.
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

ImmortalShade

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-09-13/0128:10> »
personally i like the Eichiro Hatamoto II, 7p -1ap, for my one shot stop back up. loaded with ex-ex it can pretty much down anything you need it too. Hilarity ensues when you high power chamber it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <04-09-13/1019:54> »
My elven wheelman swears by the Super Warhawk (actually, the S&W version of a similar weapon).  But he's usually hunting vehicles.  He uses a pair of machine pistols for smaller targets.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-09-13/1843:34> »
Our group likes to keep the Ruger as a spirit killer. Load it with APDS and mod it with the SA fire mode at it works pretty damn good.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-09-13/1912:05> »
It's also nice because the low Availability means with a good fake license you can openly carry it when not on a run and not get too much hassle in most places, and the intimidation factor alone is enough to back down most gangers or drunks.

Even more entertaining on a Dwarf or Gnome, with mods to make it even bigger and scarier.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-12-13/0216:47> »
Yeah, why do you think anyone would say it's underrated.   I certainly haven't seen comments to the effect on the board.

As far as the rest... it really isn't worth modding too much.   Especially if your table uses more of the black trenchcoat stye of occasionally ditching guns.  Having a highly modified gun is an expensive luxury which can bite you if things like people start tracing your jobs by your ballistics.

Bolt an external smartgun onto one... or buy one internal (it's cheap enough).   Don't bother with the action... one shot should be enough.    Simply carry a second pistol!   (two simple actions... fire left hand, fire right hand).   Now you have 12 rounds loaded instead of 6 if you have a brace of the suckers.   Now you have a cheap gun you can easily ditch and replace.

Or carry an ares predator and the revolver... you can fire the ares once and the revolver once without resorting to the firing two pistols in a single simple action split pool problems... (or you can if you want to fire the ares twice, and the hand cannon once).  Especially nice since you can silence predator, and quickdraw the hand cannon if the necessity arises.

The reload time isn't that bad either... Agility 6 will fully reload it in a single combat turn...   Even if lower... you often times can get away with just stuffing in say 4 new rounds and underloading the weapon without issue if you didn't invest in speed loaders.

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #9 on: <04-12-13/0345:38> »
 i like the "dump gun in dumpster" option. plus, something about it says gritty henry. i'm taking two, thanks peeps!

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #10 on: <04-12-13/1213:35> »
My rigger has one gold plated with silver and black chasing.

If she has to dump it, it has a "property of Kenneth Brackhaven" inscription inside the slide.

;)

-k

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <04-15-13/1949:49> »
My most heavily modified, intimidating looking and personalized guns aren't for running, they're for carrying during civilian life.  My characters invariably live in really bad neighborhoods, so they need some protection.

There are two kinds of gear.  Disposables and personal gear.  It's the same concept with vehicles, weapons, almost anything.  Sometimes you want a generic stolen car you can blow up at the scene when you are done, or a cheap gun you can throw in a dumpster.  They may not be as effective as the top-of-the-line modded equipment that some Runners carry, but it is less traceable, and that is what matters.
On the other hand, the Rigger's tricked-out personalized uber-van, the Sniper's chameleon coated Barrett, the Hacker's 6/6/6/6 Commlink or the Adept's Weapon Focus katana, is not going to be discarded.  If it has to be left behind, it could be an entire Run just to get it back (or find a replacement).

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-15-13/2040:55> »

If she has to dump it, it has a "property of Kenneth Brackhaven" inscription inside the slide.

;)

-k
It's a revolver.  It doesn't have a slide. ???
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #13 on: <04-16-13/0030:31> »

;)

-k
Now picture a group that doesn't even know that a "slide" exists.

That's what I have to deal with, Gun Nut.   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-16-13/0109:50> »

;)

-k
Now picture a group that doesn't even know that a "slide" exists.

That's what I have to deal with, Gun Nut.   :'(

Maybe once your arm heals, you should go to the local firing range as a group some night.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites