NEWS

Booby Trapping Grenades!

• 23 Replies

ARC

• Omae
« on: <12-23-12/0309:55> »
Ok, so my group has a really bad habit of being gluttons for mayhem.  Well, I figured a way to teach them a lesson.  A booby trapped grenade.  Instead of pulling the pin and throwing it.  The BG's throw it with the pin still in it.  The runners will see it and think that the GM glitched.  Pick up the Grenade and pull the pin, at which point it blows up in their hands.  Throwing Random ones at the runners during a few sessions will teach them to run instead of fight.  I know it's evil, but there are times where the story is better served with them running and not fighting.
Living the Electronic Dream

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #1 on: <12-23-12/0401:42> »
DO IT!
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #2 on: <12-23-12/0425:37> »
Chugga-chugga-WOOO-WOOO!!!!!!!!

But, seriously, what the hell are you doing writing stories that depend on your crew running away when they obviously would rather slug it out?
« Last Edit: <12-23-12/0427:33> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-23-12/0446:45> »
Why are the people your runners are coming up against using booby trapped grenades, besides your intent to be passive aggressive about not holding a firefight?

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-23-12/0532:38> »
Why are the people your runners are coming up against using booby trapped grenades, besides your intent to be passive aggressive about not holding a firefight?

Heck..why does he think his players would fall for that? Yes, I would used booby trapped grenades..All my guards would have
one in a guard team. If you were a runner who looted the bodies of the guards for munitions, and they blew up in your hands
using those munitions, even if it is one out of 6, would you be inclined to steal from those guards? (I would also use guns
all with Ammo Skip system installed, and the first round in each magazine is booby trapped to blow up...for the same reason)

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-23-12/0747:16> »
even if it is one out of 6
How are the security teams telling the difference? Can they be mixed up? Will the runners be given a chance to notice the difference on looting or having one thrown at them?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <12-23-12/1231:40> »
IIRC, new grenades are wireless and can go off on a signal as well as the timed fuse.  It's just that the wireless isn't as reliable as the fuse, as they're not exactly meant for long-term use for some reason.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sacredsouless

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <12-23-12/1842:25> »
IIRC, new grenades are wireless and can go off on a signal as well as the timed fuse.  It's just that the wireless isn't as reliable as the fuse, as they're not exactly meant for long-term use for some reason.  ;D

This reminds me of the Fallout: New Vegas DLC where you're stuck wearing a bomb collar (I don't remember the name of the DLC). If you get too close to a speaker, that just so happens to operate on the same frequency, you go *boom*. I think it would be cool to do something similar with the wireless grenades every now and then. Simply keep the PC's on their toes type thing.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #8 on: <12-24-12/0127:48> »
Ok, so my group has a really bad habit of being gluttons for mayhem.

So give them mayhem, and everything that comes with it - a reputation for mayhem, a lack of 'quiet runs', lots of 'playing decoy for the guys actually getting the job done'.  "Hi, we want you to frontally assault this checkpoint.  Your pay will be three thousand each."  Hitting them with implausable (and yes, booby-trapped grenades are at the very least implausable outside of a war zone) things is likely to backfire, and there are so many easier (and IMO better) ways to control this in-game.

Perhaps you should run a game where it's 'just ordinary life' - where they go down to the Hollow Point and someone introduces themselves ("Hi, I'm Shotgun Mary.") and when they introduce themselves back, they get "Oh, right, the blood-and-guts team.  You guys are still alive?  Good for you."  And then people avoid them - or worse yet, ignore them as wannabes and amateurs.

Seriously, I sat with two players in a convention game a couple of years ago who believed that because the game's name was ShadowRun, if you didn't do something (read: caused major mayhem and other stupid shit) that made it necessary for you to flee the scene, you weren't playing it right.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-24-12/0130:47> »

This reminds me of the Fallout: New Vegas DLC where you're stuck wearing a bomb collar (I don't remember the name of the DLC). If you get too close to a speaker, that just so happens to operate on the same frequency, you go *boom*. I think it would be cool to do something similar with the wireless grenades every now and then. Simply keep the PC's on their toes type thing.

Dead Money was that DLC.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <12-24-12/1421:14> »
Of course, most runners, and people in general for that matter, keep the grenades wireless off until in use. That said, it's definitely something to remember when you soak a runner in Intruder Nanites.  ::)... ;D

Personally, I prefer just using dummy grenades (or illusions of grenades) to provoke flee status in other characters (both as GM and player). Used right you can herd people right where you want them.

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <12-24-12/2018:47> »
Booby trapping dead bodies with grenades has been around since Vietnam war times. That would be perhaps even likely in Bogota or Chicago.

Radio detonated grenades exist today (see Robert Pronge, a real life assassin).

What you are proposing, ARC, is really just being passive aggressive. They will have to learn to run away eventually. Rarely do runs go perfectly. The best laid plans dont survive contact with the enemy. Just throw something at them that they cant handle. One will die. Maybe two. They will hopefully learn the lesson.

Unless, of course, the group would resent you for it. Then don't do that. Remember the golden rule: Have Fun! If the group always wins, and they like that, why change it?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #12 on: <12-24-12/2042:58> »
I'm not the one who says that Shadowrun is (or should be) GM vs. Players; that's a recipe for disaster, that is.  However, winning every time, and having no consequences for stupid decisions, makes for a very bland - and if the gaming group is like any I've ever been in, eventually craptastic - game.  I don't mind players with a racing team (Kane), or being the Most Wanted Criminal in thirteen countries (Kane) or showing zero team loyalty and screwing over other runners at the drop of a hat (Kane), if there actually is a purpose behind it (Kane) - and especially if it's done in such a clever way that all of his 'I screw everyone over' events balance major players against each other (Kane), and all of his millions are finally/eventually burned in order to achieve that single purpose (Kane) leaving him penniless but successful. (Ka ... wait, is Kane penniless?)

If there's no threat of losing, or no real consequence for doing so, then why bother?  "Hi, I'm Mr. Johnson, and I'll pay you 30,000¥ to go across the street and get me a ham-on-rye.  No mayo."  Success, and if they want to blow up the sub shop, hey, it's fun and they win, right?  People (both characters and players) measure success by the threat level that they're matched against.  Often, the very best measure of success in a game is 'and then we had to run away', 'and then we got captured', or other similar event, which is then followed by how they pulled it out in the end.  Look at any action movie, any really good book, and virtually every comic book.  Heroes reach 'oh crap' well before they reach 'save the day'.

To boot, in SR there are runs specifically set up to be fail/fail scenarios.  Piss off Lofwyr, and you'll be ripe for one.

Of course, I'm really kind of preaching to the choir on all this, aren't I, Prodigy?  You seem to be of the same opinion anyhow, so it's more a matter of developing the players into better players ...

Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <12-25-12/1506:25> »
Correct.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #14 on: <12-26-12/1814:18> »
Kane penniless? Nah.

Last I heard, he's got some parts to make Stealth Bombers... Realllly looking forward to finding out if he can manage to find the rest of the parts he needs.