NEWS

Bicycles

• 42 Replies

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <09-19-12/0106:48> »
The problem with hoverboards is that you need a power source, so it would probably have some sort of limit to how long you could use it before a recharge. 

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #16 on: <09-19-12/1934:57> »
The problem with hoverboards is that you need a power source, so it would probably have some sort of limit to how long you could use it before a recharge.

You could make it a modular limb plug-in accessory. That way the bioelectricity generated by your body that would power the cyberlegs on the character would also be able to power the plug-in.

The only problem after that would be how to power the board while keeping the legs or feet connected to the board until the inevitable fall or error requires an option to bail out.

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <09-19-12/2118:26> »
At that point, why use the board?  There are already modular limbs that let you do that on their own.  Page 47 of augmentation, Skimmer Disks. 

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-20-12/0254:32> »
At that point, why use the board?  There are already modular limbs that let you do that on their own.  Page 47 of augmentation, Skimmer Disks.
Because no one wants to have Cyberfeet or Cyberlegs ( If You stick to the Word You need complete Cyberlegs to use Skimmerdisk  :o ::) ::) >:( ) just for the Fun of using a Hoverboard.
The Technology is there (Skimmerdisk) and I'm sure that there is also a demand so ImO its a MUST that Hoverboards exist in the SR World

The problem with hoverboards is that you need a power source,
external Batteries  ! They cost X Amount in ¥ and power the Hoverboard for Y Minutes / Hours

with a quite simple Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-20-12/1033:09> »
Yeah, for a game that draws a lot from CYberpunk culture, which in turn came out of the punk school and phreakers, but also skateboarders, skaters, and (if you follow the cultural DNA, surfers), there's not a lot of light transportation available.

So, we should really look at getting:
Roller Skates (Obviously, only inline are around for this)
Skateboards
Hoverboards
(Might require an exotic skill)
Bicycle

All of these would be athletics, not piloting, and be equipment, not vehicles. From there, it's just figuring out how fast they should go.

(Heck, Dark Angel, which is *fantastic* cyberpunk, has motorcycles, but the lead is a bike messenger. Why don't we have those around?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ruF3WSHBjjo#t=683s

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-21-12/1410:13> »
(Heck, Dark Angel, which is *fantastic* cyberpunk, has motorcycles, but the lead is a bike messenger. Why don't we have those around?)

Well, I think they mentioned bike messengers in "Seattle 2072". As for their bikes, the Papoose from "Used Car Lot" could be the main mode of transport, albeit modified to be charged through the muscle powered drive by removing the Reduced Economy trait and putting in Multi-Fuel Engine.

Of course, this doesn't solve the issue of bike messagers being gunned down in the streets by Shadowrunners, Corporate Spies, or Go-Gangers for the info or items they are transporting. If that's the case, bike messegers in 2074 must have stainless steel testicles to take a transporting job that requires you to ride a scooter through armed neighborhoods.

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #21 on: <09-24-12/0052:49> »
Hah, I was thinking about this while on a ride last week... why no cycling in SR? I suppose the answer is it's slow and exposed and could be tacked on extremely easily if a table wanted to.

Like FuelDrop I was thinking it'd "default" to running, for speed and endurance anyway. As for the cost though, I gotta think 500Y would be a low-end ride (for a performance bike), even in 2070 I'd imagine. Ultra-light plasteel frame, gecko grip road tires (run-flat, of course), piezoelectric and kinetic generators for your smart-bike system ... you could easily top 5K, and that's before getting into your braised weapon mounts, butt-print biometric security system and drone dock panier rack ;)

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #22 on: <09-25-12/0002:30> »
So, any ideas what corps would be producing them?
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #23 on: <09-25-12/1141:00> »
Not sure but they're probably Italian, or French :P

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <09-25-12/1228:39> »
Not sure but they're probably Italian, or French :P

Don't count out Horizon. They've made most of their money by playing to the Alternative Lifestyle/Green Living folks and Indie groups. They probably have a bunch of "Green, Low Environmental Impact" vehicular options that are being sold under a subsidiary company. Probably costs more then the standard offerings of other companies, too.

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #25 on: <09-26-12/0112:58> »
Well, since I'm crazy enough to consider eventually statting them, here are the candidates:

Basic urban model
Off-road (off-road tires and suspension, poss. gyroscopic stabilization)
Racer (racing tires and suspension, gyroscopic stabilization)
High-class urban, like the one Twitchy D mentioned (smart tires, multifuel engine,  solar charger, gyro)

As for generic rules, all would count as having Manual Override, and reduced customization slots compared to other vehicles. Now, how about sensors and electronics - which ones would be used, if at all? I'm thinking, none of those on anything except high-end models.
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

emsquared

• Ace Runner
  • Super Perfundo
« Reply #26 on: <09-26-12/1137:54> »
Well, since I'm crazy enough to consider eventually statting them, here are the candidates:

Basic urban model
Off-road (off-road tires and suspension, poss. gyroscopic stabilization)
Racer (racing tires and suspension, gyroscopic stabilization)
High-class urban, like the one Twitchy D mentioned (smart tires, multifuel engine,  solar charger, gyro)

As for generic rules, all would count as having Manual Override, and reduced customization slots compared to other vehicles. Now, how about sensors and electronics - which ones would be used, if at all? I'm thinking, none of those on anything except high-end models.
Why not stick with classic cycling naming convention? Major types (geometries) being roughly BMX (for sprawl navigation, jumps, climbing, etc.), mountain (for off-road), road/touring (for open road speed, carrying things), hybrid/cyclocross (high class urban?). Dunno if you want to get into fixed, single and multi-geared configurations...

What about a cruiser model? With style being only slightly less important than crunch, ya better include one.

Optional mods could be collapsible bikes, assembly time improvements, of course lightweight components, hardening (armor), run-flats. Electronics could be smart-bike AR link (with speed, tire pressure, gps, frame stress, optimal turn velocity and pitch etc.), Chameleon Coating, Drone Rack (mini only?), ECM and Sun Cells... and definitely not standard. And I really don't think gyro stabilizers (or any electronics or sensors, even a smart-bike link and associated powering mechanisms) would should be standard for (most) bikes even in 2070... it's still additional weight (which means slower speed) and complications - the antithesis of what bikes are about; simplicity.

There's a couple of pennies anyway.
« Last Edit: <09-27-12/1150:05> by emsquared »

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <09-27-12/0724:14> »
I know that if I run a character with skates, the skates will be like out of either Air Gear (weight/movement driven miniengines squeezed into skate wheels allowing the rider to go faster then some cars with enough skill) or Jet Set Radio/Radio Future (Magnetic 'motor' allowing for stuff like grinding up a pole) or some combination of the two.

Why? Because high speed skating gangs that have territory contests that ignore the normal gangs. Because they can't keep up. Also: High speed trick based fighting.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #28 on: <09-27-12/1723:22> »
Really bicycle, skateboard, and skate gangs could rule territory other gangs simply couldnt drive into, like sewers, dense junkyards, and the interiors of large buildings.

ACHE gang idea, maybe?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #29 on: <09-27-12/1745:29> »
They would also totally rule abandoned swimming pools!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11