NEWS

Bicycles

• 42 Replies

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« on: <08-27-12/2053:46> »
So as I sat here putting antiseptic on the road rash (that fence totally did not have the right of way), it occurred to me: just how useful would bicycles be in SR?

Obvious advantages: cost (~500Y by my estimate), manoeuvrability, off-road capabilities, simplicity, fuel and grid independence, ubiquitousness, can use Athletics instead of Pilot Ground...

While we're at it - what about roller skates and skateboards?
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <08-27-12/2141:44> »
Used Car Lot has a Electric Moped.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-27-12/2151:26> »
So as I sat here putting antiseptic on the road rash (that fence totally did not have the right of way), it occurred to me: just how useful would bicycles be in SR?

Obvious advantages: cost (~500Y by my estimate), manoeuvrability, off-road capabilities, simplicity, fuel and grid independence, ubiquitousness, can use Athletics instead of Pilot Ground...

While we're at it - what about roller skates and skateboards?
Arsenal has roller blades (forget which page don't have my book right with me) and Used Car Lot has a bike with optional electric motor... it IS weird that there are no regular bikes, though... I was looking into making an adept a while ago who has a day job as a bike courier~
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #3 on: <08-27-12/2241:08> »
A skateboarding pink mohawk runner would be cruise control for cool

Demerzel

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-28-12/0050:15> »
I have really wanted to try playing a character based on YT from Snow Crash. From the smart wheels on her plank to the 'poon. I mostly just haven't wanted to try and come up with a set of house rules for skate boards and 'pooning traffic.

Though I guess it  could come down to a pretty simple Athletics and Exotic Ranged Weapon ('poon).

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-28-12/0110:14> »
since this will come up eventually, why I don't post it now.
There is a very good runner team template using a bike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

but yes. we need bikes. and Piloting Bike should be in the Athletics group, no matter how big that group becomes.

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #6 on: <08-28-12/0122:09> »
<Begin: Queen (Bicycle race)>
Piloting Bike should be in the Athletics group, no matter how big that group becomes.
just have it as a subsection of the run skill. Save on bookkeeping.
 </Queen>
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-28-12/0351:37> »
Hm. Skateboard with Smart Tires, wear an Urban Explorer jumpsuit, accessorize with a grapple-gun that has both Gecko-grip and magnetic grip on the business end.

Back to bicycles, I'd probably use a mix of Pilot Ground Vehicle for making it through, and Running tests for endurance/speed.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Kat9

« Reply #8 on: <09-04-12/0044:17> »
I have really wanted to try playing a character based on YT from Snow Crash. From the smart wheels on her plank to the 'poon. I mostly just haven't wanted to try and come up with a set of house rules for skate boards and 'pooning traffic.

Though I guess it  could come down to a pretty simple Athletics and Exotic Ranged Weapon ('poon).

Easily done, in fact I've done that once. In the German version of Augmentation they have Smartboards. If you want an official picture of it and can't get the German book the artist has a deviantart page.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-04-12/0328:23> »
Hoverboarding, not Skateboarding ;)
With Skimmerdisc I'm wondering why there are no Hoverboards !!

with a Hoverdance
Merdicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #10 on: <09-04-12/1039:26> »
Hoverboarding, not Skateboarding ;)
With Skimmerdisc I'm wondering why there are no Hoverboards !!

with a Hoverdance
Merdicineman

Or perhaps a hover-skate rigger/adept riding 2 Skimmers?

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-04-12/1218:22> »
Shadowrun totally has bicycles.  I recall that in a game a dwarf, who owned nothing except his weapons, his clothes and a microwave oven had to get from one end of the barrens to the other.  He knicked the first transportation device he encountered, which was the bicycle of a young girl.  You know the kind: pink with a basket and ribbons.  So you see this dwarf riding through the barrens on a pink bicycle with a big warhammer on his back and a microwave oven in the basket.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-14-12/2050:06> »
So you see this dwarf riding through the barrens on a pink bicycle with a big warhammer on his back and a microwave oven in the basket.

I think I saw that guy riding down my street last week. Time to invest in Assault Cannons.

_Pax_

« Reply #13 on: <09-15-12/0055:11> »
I have a character who's a fourteen year old whiz-ganger Adept.  A bicycle would be perfect for him.  A car, not so much.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <09-15-12/0320:57> »
I have a character who's a fourteen year old whiz-ganger Adept.  A bicycle would be perfect for him.  A car, not so much.
what about a Hoverboard for Your Char ?  ;D

with a Hoverdance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8