NEWS

Question about Smoke-and-Mirrors program. Is this a must have program?

• 76 Replies

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #30 on: <06-10-15/1219:46> »
Just pile on the datajacks. Their noise reduction is cumulative (at least in Missions, the last time I checked).
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <06-10-15/1223:20> »
Even before this, against an opponent who also has a good deck, it was very easy to be unable to find each other if both running silent. Last matrix combat I was involved in was settled by firearms.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #32 on: <06-10-15/1325:43> »
Quick question - what does a host or patrol IC roll to spot a silent running icon? Nowhere in the section on Hosts in the core book does it give either the Host or the IC a Computer skill, so do they all roll Host Rating - 1 [DP]? If the most dice a Host/IC can throw against an intruder on a MP test is 11, then even without S&M avoiding detection is pretty easy.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Miri

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: <06-10-15/1352:19> »
You could metaphorically burn a host to the ground and laugh in the flames while the spider and all the IC flail around unable to spot you.
Some people just want to watch the world burn. Seriously, that was excellently written. Bravo! *slowclap*
Considering Matrix perception is a complex action and afterwards the person spotted can roll their hide to stop from being spotted, yes cat and mouse is a thing also give a use for that Fresnel Fabric

Data Trails page 178 changes Matrix Perception to a Simple Action.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #34 on: <06-10-15/1524:33> »
Data Trails page 178 changes Matrix Perception to a Simple Action.
I'm 100% positive the use of "Simple Matrix Actions" in that heading isn't supposed to refer to the game term "Simple Action."
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #35 on: <06-10-15/1529:10> »
The opening sentence supports Jack's view"
Quote from: DT p 178
The Matrix is designed to be used by the average per- son. The following are simple Matrix actions that any- one with a commlink and access can generally do.
Their use of simple is meant to indicate that they require little skill or training to do, though skill could certainly allow one to do them better.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <06-11-15/1246:26> »
The distinction is between "simple Matrix actions" (which is what appears in the text) and Simple Actions in the Matrix.  Types of actions (Interrupt, Complex, Simple, Free) should always be capitalized.  The text refers to actions that are basic and generally uncomplicated--things non-hackers can do to get utility out of the Matrix.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <06-11-15/1257:11> »
So you guys wouldn't say that Smoke and Mirrors is unbalanced? My current decker at drug-Logic 11 and 10 Sleaze (with mod) would get to 26 dice versus being seen. Seems almost broken. I'm OK to do it but I'm worried about how much it trivializes Matrix runs. :S

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <06-11-15/1309:39> »
To be fair Razhul, that's 21 dice pre-S&M, that's pretty far out there already :p

But yes, I do think it's overpowered.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <06-11-15/1436:21> »
How did you get a sleaze attribute of 10?

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <06-11-15/1443:37> »
A very good deck (one of the Fairlights) gives a 9 at the high end; set that to sleaze and add 1 more from a program or modification. It's expensive, but certainly within the realms of a (high end) decker.

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <06-11-15/1500:04> »

Following an insane run for Ares on Mars (yes, the planet), my decker had the funds to upgrade to a Fairlight Excalibur. The GM allowed me to pay the difference instead of paying whole price.

Miri

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <06-11-15/1642:37> »
The distinction is between "simple Matrix actions" (which is what appears in the text) and Simple Actions in the Matrix.  Types of actions (Interrupt, Complex, Simple, Free) should always be capitalized.  The text refers to actions that are basic and generally uncomplicated--things non-hackers can do to get utility out of the Matrix.

*nodnod* Noted.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <06-11-15/2351:32> »
buy a EvoTech Himitsu (sleaze 5) add a module program carrier to run a cyberprogram (virtual machine smoke and mirrors and signal scrub) add a Receiver dongle and use datajack wireless bonus and take overclocker quality  (sleaze 11) added bonus get a technomancer to have a sprite run diagnostics and the technomancer to run cleaner to reset your overwatch score possibly have someone cast analyze device on your commlink for bonus dice

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <06-12-15/0319:40> »
EvoTech Himitsu ... add a module program carrier ...
This form factor device already have a prefabricated component that extends the capabilities of the device (special module that give it 5 sleaze). You can't hardwire more than one module into the board....

What you could do with modifications is to "Increase a Matrix Attribute" to get a sleaze rating of 6 (for 12 component parts and permanently reducing the matrix condition monitor by 2).
« Last Edit: <06-12-15/0321:32> by Xenon »