NEWS

Shadowrun for Xbox 360

• 35 Replies

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« on: <09-04-10/0126:29> »
I'm sure I'm dangling a steak in the shark tank here, but it's worth asking. ;)

Came across a copy of this thing (used) recently, almost picked it up, but hadn't heard much good about it. So I figure, who better to ask than the Shadowrun community at large? If they approve, it can't be bad. And if they don't, then let's find out why.

Is it worth spending money and time on? Or am I better off finding a better waste of time?

I do ask that responses like 'the game sucks' or something to that effect are expanded out to give me reasons- that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

burntheartist

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-04-10/0133:14> »
I'm pretty sure the multiplayer servers were taken down recently, which was sad news because it wasn't a bad multiplayer shooter.

It just wasn't that swell. I liked the setting and the graphics were okay, a tad bright and poofy for what I'd envision a SR game to look like but that's all relative.

The maps were usable, but nothing really unique and the combat system where you picked a bit of magic and guns wasn't special but workable.

Over all if you find it for like 4 bucks pick it up just to have a console FPS to prank with from time to time, but if what I hear about the multiplayer servers being shut down it'd probably not be worth picking up. Maybe the PC version with a heavy mod crowd and some user support play would've been worth it.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <09-04-10/0140:27> »
They problem I had with it was that it was totally a FPS. There's no story (and it's not even set in the Shadowrun timeline) and forget if you wanted to play anything besides a Combat Mage or Razorboy.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #3 on: <09-04-10/0246:56> »
Wasn't it ONLY a multiplayer game?  How can folks even still play it, with the servers taken down?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <09-04-10/0314:32> »
No, you could play single player, but you were basically doing 'missions'. There was no Campaign mode.

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-04-10/0718:42> »
Was playing this online about a week ago the game will run server on someone 360 in the group, not really shadowrun but not a terrible game.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <09-04-10/0822:32> »
No, you could play single player, but you were basically doing 'missions'. There was no Campaign mode.

What do you mean?
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #7 on: <09-04-10/0834:59> »
What do you mean?

There are 6 single player Tutorials, basically where you're told to get X ability and use it a few times to complete the mission.  But, for all intents and purposes, it was Counterstrike.

It wasn't a bad FPS.  The magic and cyberware added an interesting twist to the standard FPS style game.  But...  Yeah, it wasn't Shadowrun.  It only barely tried to be Shadowrun (What little backstory they were was basically a complete reboot of the Shadowrun world, going back to "Magic returning" and then making up some new stuff).

Bull

shadd4d

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-04-10/1022:07> »
Oddly enough, the best Shadowrun videogame (strictly saying) is still the Sega Genesis Shadowrun. True, it has its own broken points, but it's still an enjoyable game which pre-dates some of the open world settings like GTA or GTA clones. I had fun with it back in the day, although the biggest break, at least early on, is the old walk in a circle trick to stay ahead of melee combatants while popping off a few shots at them. Still, great fun and an almost classic RPG story involving avenging a family member who ended up a catspaw in some megacorp-connected scheme. The storyline proper lends itself easily to being copied or adapted to an SR4 campaign with only a few minor name changes and rules updates.

Don

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <09-04-10/1023:23> »
Oddly enough, the best Shadowrun videogame (strictly saying) is still the Sega Genesis Shadowrun. True, it has its own broken points, but it's still an enjoyable game which pre-dates some of the open world settings like GTA or GTA clones. I had fun with it back in the day, although the biggest break, at least early on, is the old walk in a circle trick to stay ahead of melee combatants while popping off a few shots at them. Still, great fun and an almost classic RPG story involving avenging a family member who ended up a catspaw in some megacorp-connected scheme. The storyline proper lends itself easily to being copied or adapted to an SR4 campaign with only a few minor name changes and rules updates.

Don

Was that the same one that came out for Super Nintendo? I always meant to hunt down a copy of that for my old SNES and never did get around to it.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #10 on: <09-04-10/1031:16> »
Nope.  The SNES one and the Sega one were quite different.

The Sega one was more faithful to the old SR rules, but I always thought the SNES was more faithful to the feel and style of SR, and had a more interesting storyline.

Both were good, and worth playing.

Bull

Saint

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-04-10/1202:03> »
Bull's right, I enjoyed both the SNES and Genesis versions of the game, with the Genesis version getting a nice edge.

As for the 360 Shadowrun game. Those Tutorial "Missions" were a joke, and playing against bots when you can't get online is not a Single player mode.

The Game took Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Humans, and Trolls and gave them a Cartoonish look, some Chrome, and some really cheesy magic (a healing tree... seriously?) and called it Shadowrun, when it should have been Counterstrike CyberFantasy. I was pissed off when I paid 60 bucks on it when it first came out, and I still have a small bit of rage against it somewhere in my soul.

That said, The Xbox Live servers for the game are still up, what servers got taken down are the PC servers, the ones that allowed PC users to crossover with Xbox Live players. So If you buy it it is still playable on Live. If you do not have Xbox Live Gold, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: <09-04-10/1212:49> »
Yeah, the PC version of the game was gimped in those crossover matches.  those Xbox controlers were no match for a good mouse and keyboard!
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #13 on: <09-04-10/1333:01> »
+1 on the love for the old SNES/Genesis games.  I'd kill a man to see a Fallout 3-style Shadowrun game.

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <09-04-10/1337:45> »
+1 on the love for the old SNES/Genesis games.  I'd kill a man to see a Fallout 3-style Shadowrun game.

Grand Theft T-Bird?  ;D