NEWS

How far can character throw something? [6e]

• 4 Replies

HeartBane

• Newb
« on: <10-07-22/1019:37> »
While reading core book, about making attacks, grenades, use of athletics i noticed little * sign under grenade scatter saying "Most characters will not be able to reach these ranges with a thrown weapon"
What bugs me is wording "Most", so some can throw that at "far" distance

And i realised i havent seen rule about how far different character can throw grenades, i assumed if for example shurikens have AR 9\11\5\-\- everyone can throw that far and then i remember that medium distance is 51-250m and no way some Elf with impaired strength could throw at 250 meters (almost three times height Statue of Liberty)

So what is a calculation? or i say frag it, sure throw it at 250 meters because AR allows it?

Also is there any discord community about SR so i could ask my silly little question there instead of polluting SR forum?
« Last Edit: <10-07-22/1021:37> by HeartBane »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <10-07-22/1211:42> »
Not a 6e player, so what I have to say should be considered suggestions:

In older editions the range of a thrown weapon was determined by the strength of the thrower, with ranges of 0-STRx2 STRx4 STRx6(8) and STRx10(15) (numbers in brackets were for aerodynamic objects).

This is laid out on a table on pg 185 of the 5e CRB. So, I would check for a table in 6e under weapons to see if it says something similar.

Food for thought:

The longest baseball throw EVER, was done by Glen Gorbous in 1957 at 135.89 meters (445 feet)
Axe throwing competitions are  generally thrown at a range of 12 feet (3.6 meters roughly)
Knife throwing competitions are sets of 4 targets at 7 ft, 10 ft, 13ft, and 16ft. (so, from 2 meters to 4 meters roughly)

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

HeartBane

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-07-22/1237:56> »
In older editions the range of a thrown weapon was determined by the strength of the thrower, with ranges of 0-STRx2 STRx4 STRx6(8) and STRx10(15) (numbers in brackets were for aerodynamic objects).

Indeed, 5e has nice little table with range for throwables and other weapons, in 6e AR (Attack Rating) shows in which range weapon can efficiently hit something and how good it is at doing this
So my example Shuriken has AR 9\11\5\-\- which means at 0-2 meters it has 9, at 4-50m 11 , and at Medium 51-250 only 5, other brackets says that it cant hit at this distance

That means, shuriken can hit someone in range from 51 to 250 meters, i was so perplexed with this so i even asked my friend P.E teacher what is normatives for healthy males in High school or early 20s for throwing balls which weight 0.5 to 1kg, turns out to gain maximum score you need to throw at 37 meters, but Shadowrunners (most of them) way above average healthy male even if not enchanced with magic or cybernetics and i'd say they can throw something at 50 meters, but beyond that?

As for now, my best idea is - somehow duct tape strength to distance thrown

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-08-22/1347:53> »
Ranges are kinda forgiving in SR6. Hitting stuff with a pistol beyond 40 meters is rather tricky in real life. Not to mention beyond 100 meters. Or up to 250 meters.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #4 on: <10-08-22/2118:09> »
Note that 6E Strength values are literally ten times what they were in 5E.

Not sure why that changed so drastically, but hey.