NEWS

Mentor Spirit Deities Force

• 9 Replies

terror13

• Newb
« on: <05-06-20/1344:18> »
What is the force of the Mentor Spirits, Deities basically?

Anyone know?

Like just how powerful are they?

btw wtf is the "cartography papers" answer to this damn sites question, had to refresh this like 10 times before it changed.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-06-20/1414:56> »
Mentor Spirits doesn't really have force at all. They are not really spirits 'in that sense' (they don't use powers, they don't materialize, they can't be banished etc.)

Mostly think of them as imaginary friends that only you see that guides you in the practices of magic also provide certain advantages and disadvantages that reflects it's mentor spirit archetype.

edit. also, welcome to the forum :-)
« Last Edit: <05-06-20/1417:30> by Xenon »

Sugarpink

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-06-20/1418:32> »
btw wtf is the "cartography papers" answer to this damn sites question, had to refresh this like 10 times before it changed.

It's either "Map" or "Maps". Because a map is a paper, used in cartography. It's so obvious but I have met a bunch of people who can't think of the answer. Maybe it should be changed.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <05-06-20/1502:19> »
Quote from: p162
This mentor spirit is much like other spirits in
that it has its own personality, but it’s not a spirit
in the summon-and-banish sense of the term. It can
be seen and heard by those it chooses, and it can
even physically interact with its followers. A person’s
mentor spirit can have significant influence
over them, offering benefits when they remain true
or punishing them if they go astray (usually with
temporary reductions to their Magic rating).
Basically, they might impact the Magician that's tied to them, they might give cryptic hints and such, but they do not materialize or fight. If you're not a follower of Dog, Dog won't directly impact you.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

terror13

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-06-20/1607:53> »
Mentor Spirits doesn't really have force at all. They are not really spirits 'in that sense' (they don't use powers, they don't materialize, they can't be banished etc.)

Mostly think of them as imaginary friends that only you see that guides you in the practices of magic also provide certain advantages and disadvantages that reflects it's mentor spirit archetype.

Thanks =)

But imaginary friends though? I mean one of them is the adversary, literally the devil.

And he is known in the lore to take a very active role in trying to cause misery and destroy all creation, so they ain't that imaginary.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <05-06-20/2004:55> »
Look chummer, if the fragface pops up in front me and manages to scratch me, I'll consider it more than the bad voice too many people bother listen to. Until then, he's as imaginary to me as the concept of a fair Corp.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-06-20/2112:54> »
They don't even exist, they are just psychological crutches for Shamans.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <05-06-20/2136:18> »

Thanks =)

But imaginary friends though? I mean one of them is the adversary, literally the devil.

And he is known in the lore to take a very active role in trying to cause misery and destroy all creation, so they ain't that imaginary.

Let me see if I get this right...

You are saying there is something there, to your right (or left) telling you to do bad things????  Might I suggest a doctor and a padded room??

;D

But in all Seriousness, A Mentor Spirit is NOT a spirit in the conventional sense of the word. If 2 mages are standing side by side, but one is a rat Shaman, and the other a Hermetic mage, that Mage will never, EVER see, hear or even sense the presence of Rat even when directly talking to the Shaman...

To everyone else, the mentor is simply is non entity. Something they will never see, feel, hear, taste, touch, or smell, or sense. BUT to the shaman, the mentor is something that is VERY much real, and VERY much important - its the "source" of his magic! So those with Mentors treat them very seriously, and do their best to keep them happy....

Which in itself can lead to some... interesting issues that are best left solved at the playing table BEFORE a session begins.... (Some GMs and players have decidedly different
opinions on the personalities and ambitions of some Mentor Spirits...)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-07-20/0005:03> »
Wasn't there an entire book series on stopping a spirit entity that some used as a Mentor (Spider) from entering the world and causing chaos? Forget the series, but main character was Shaman who took part in what is effectively a 2nd ghost dance in order to be able to fight Spider. Spider attempting to enter the world and go world destroyer kind of contrasts with the above mentioned 'only the mentees can see the mentor'

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <05-07-20/0558:05> »
Wasn't there an entire book series on stopping a spirit entity that some used as a Mentor (Spider) from entering the world and causing chaos? Forget the series, but main character was Shaman who took part in what is effectively a 2nd ghost dance in order to be able to fight Spider. Spider attempting to enter the world and go world destroyer kind of contrasts with the above mentioned 'only the mentees can see the mentor'

And Shamans, used to get Spirit Masks while casting spells....
Mystic Adepts never existed...
You could nuke physical targets from astral...
Elementals were a thing....

What can I tell you, retconns suck.

And books, are not a good example of game mechanics.....

I don't care if you are firing nuclear bullets: a LMG is NOT dropping a dragon! (But it did in a book!).

At no time has a Foci worked for a mundane! (But they have in a book! )

Its that whole 'creative licence' thing.... you know  like in Hollywood movies where the revolver has 33 shots....or the car explodes from a front impact with all the force of 2000lbs of ANFO...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.