NEWS

Side Arm Pistol Mount: idea/ stats

• 1 Replies

Tech

• Newb
« on: <06-13-18/2251:50> »
Not too long ago, I found some concept art for Elysium. It was of a police officer, who had a robotic arm holding his sidearm pistol in a position that suggest it would be able to aim and fire on it's own, as an independent articulated module. I like the idea, but the thought of having it in Shadowrun never even crossed my mind.

From what I understand, there's something like this in 4th ed, but I'm not sure. But for 5th, I made a homebrew version from just the core rulebook. Following are the requirements to make and use the item. I haven't really explored the idea in depth, and there are a lot of other things you could use this for - not just guns, but here's what I got:

Gyro mount (1,400 Nuyen) + modifications (100 Nuyen) (skill: engineering) (player may outsource this project, obviously)
Goggles (Capacity 2) (100 Nuyen) + Smartlink (2,000 Nuyen)(any other imaging device would allow you to control it)
Ares Predator V (725 Nuyen) + Smartgun system, external (200 Nuyen) (anything smaller than a heavy pistol would work. It's up to the GM if you can use machine pistols) (NOTE: attaching this weapon to the Gyro mount takes up the under-side slot of the weapon)

Skills required:
Pilot Programs (page 269, 5th edition core rule book)
Homebrew skill: Rigs (view bellow)

New Skill: Rigs (description)
Rigs will allow the character to operate a modified or built-from-scratch machine or object that doesn't necessarily conform to any other skill set. (This skill follows standard skill progression rules)

Initiative: Pilot Rating x 2 + 3D6 (total of 4D6) (see page 270, Drone Initiative, 5th Edition core rule book)

Anyone trying to fire at the arm will take a -3 dice penalty, plus a -1 penalty per every 5 meters. If it's hit, it's prolly not going to be making much of a stand against anything. If successfully destroyed, check to see if the bullet is in the path of the character also. This may result in character also taking damage

Altogether, it'll cost ya about 4,600 Nuyen and 6 Karma, but it'll be oodles of fun to have and use.

I know a lot of people are going to be like "that's not how you use the gyro mount!" Yeah, yeah - whatever. It's up to you to use it or not - I'm just proposing the idea, not forcing you to. I know the gyro mount is to stabilize and assist with reducing recoil from a rifle, but the concept of modifying something isn't too far beyond the ramifications of the game system.

BTW this would be a great weapon for a rigger or a decker who spends their battle time in hot sim.

Anyhow, I hope this helps someone out there.
« Last Edit: <06-13-18/2254:56> by Tech »
"This Mr. Johnson wants you to pick his daughter up from preschool and is willing to pay you 8,000 nuyen a pop to do it. What do you do, Stas?"
"I shoot him with my krime gun"

Streetsam_Crunch

• Newb
  • Grumpy Old Ork
« Reply #1 on: <06-14-18/0241:37> »
Funny enough, one of my chromed-up streetsam players had an idea about getting a cyber-torso, getting a control rig, and putting a drone intelligence in there with two extra arms for it to control...

He never did it (nor did he ever have enough nuyen to do it) but it was an interesting idea with a similar though process behind it. :)

Crunch~