NEWS

Modular Limbs

• 49 Replies

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <05-24-17/0252:47> »
course cyberears have a connector for a Modular mount where you could attach anything too it

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <05-24-17/1606:38> »
I mean, modular connector, then screw a weapon on.
Instead of the limb. There aren't listed with an Essence cost. Especially things you can't normally mount, like, say, an AR.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <05-24-17/1616:25> »
So the suggestion is to get a Modular Connector, then never attach a limb to that connector.

To me, this is the strongest argument for making the modular connectors have the essence cost of a limb built in.

If you have a player planning to just not have a hand, or an arm, or whatever for an extended period of time and is just going for a stump with a weapon attached that is connected through a modular connector, I would err on the side of the essence cost of having the weapon implanted. Chrome Flesh gives rules for implanting non-standard cyberguns. You can use that as an essence cost for replacing your hand with the gun for an extended period.

If we're just talking about popping off your hand and placing a gun on the stump for a short time (one of the uses of a modular connector), then I wouldn't worry about it. The essence cost of the whole hand overrides the "strange" cost for just the gun.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <05-24-17/1845:42> »
I mean, modular connector, then screw a weapon on.
Instead of the limb. There aren't listed with an Essence cost. Especially things you can't normally mount, like, say, an AR.

AH! You just want to strap a gun to a stump? Yeah, you can do that, but keep in mind, you aren't going to aim worth a damn. It isn't a cybergun, and it ain't a cyberlimb, so it's not designed to work with your nervous system or to allow you to point it as easily as you point your arm or finger. (Seriously. Close your eyes right now, then point to the light switch in your room. Open your eyes, and you should be pretty close. Human bodies are neat that way.)  Now balance a pen or pencil on your trapezeus (the muscle between your shoulder and neck) and try the same eyes-closed-aim trick. It's VERY unlikely to be on target.

Recoil might tear it off, depending on how big the thing is, and, in general, you're not going to be hitting a dang thing. It'd be about as useful as putting on a baby-holder to your chest and duct-taping a gun to the front of that.

Won't cost you any extra essence, but you're looking at an accuracy of 1 if you're lucky.

In short? Bad idea, but if your GM wants to let you give it a go, feel free.

(You'd be much better off getting a modular connector, taking a normal cyber arm, then taking an extra arm with whatever cybergun you want built into it.)

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <05-24-17/1947:40> »
I just tried the balancing pen thingy, and it... increased the accuracy. 
So, you're basically saying I should limit myself to flamethrowers and homing missiles?  ;D
Because, problem is, there is no cybernetic assault rifle. I can install an automatic grenade launcher in an arm just fine, but not a rifle.
Actually, I really just want the shoulder turrets from SR4, but no luck yet.
But yeah, that sounds reasonable. Can't actually aim it if there's no limb.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.