NEWS

UV Flashlight

• 16 Replies

忍

« on: <06-10-16/2114:57> »
While I don't think it's listed anywhere I don't imagine it isn't something that couldn't be made/bought/used etc. Would y'all do 25¥ just like the other flashlights or change it somehow?

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-11-16/0305:03> »
ya UV used to be a thing in 3rd Edition I think flashlights are 10 for short 25 for long I mean I have a uv flashlight on my desk so it shouldnt be too hard to get mostly used for finding hard to spot bodily fluids and the like >_>

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-11-16/0613:06> »
Depends on where you look; SR5 has a flat 25¥ cost for all flashlights, whereas Run & Gun introduced a 50¥ cost for a weapon-mountable standard flashlight, 200¥ for low light, and 400¥ for infrared.

If using the former as a guideline I would keep the price of a UV flashlight at 25¥. If the latter, I'd say UV light has more in common with infrared in that they're more rarely used, and so I'd use the 400¥ cost.

I'd also include a UV light in a forensics tool kit/shop/facility.

&#24525;

« Reply #3 on: <06-11-16/2002:01> »
ya UV used to be a thing in 3rd Edition I think flashlights are 10 for short 25 for long I mean I have a uv flashlight on my desk so it shouldnt be too hard to get mostly used for finding hard to spot bodily fluids and the like >_>
Or piss off something with Allergy(Sunlight)

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-11-16/2039:15> »
Got that tetrachromatic vision, did you? :D

That said, I wouldn't say it works on folks with a sunlight allergy, if it's for supernatural reasons, as in the case of a vampire.  Sunlight has more supernatural implications than that.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #5 on: <06-11-16/2315:58> »
Got that tetrachromatic vision, did you? :D

That said, I wouldn't say it works on folks with a sunlight allergy, if it's for supernatural reasons, as in the case of a vampire.  Sunlight has more supernatural implications than that.

Actually...

Quote from: Run Faster, page 134, "Walking In Shadows"
Artificial UV lighting is also uncomfortable. While not usually enough to cause a full anaphylactic reaction, many security systems incorporate high-intensity ultraviolet lighting as part of their systems if they’re looking to protect themselves against the Infected. These lights can cause enough of a reaction to cause discomfort and prevent the use of the Infected character’s powers.

The earlier page also states that the same high intensity UV lights can force a vampire out of mist form.  So, while they don't do damage, and a normal flashlight isn't enough to force them out of mist form, they probably still are irritating.  Itchiness, or like an uncomfortably warm sensation, I'd bet.  Like 忍 said; just enough to piss someone off.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-12-16/1102:44> »
I'm not sure I'd equate "high-intensity ultraviolet lighting" with "flashlight"; to my mind, that's more of an internal light system thing, or floodlights, not a handheld maglight type device. That's just my opinion, though, seeing as how that's a fluff piece with no actual mechanical rule except for what each individual GM infers from the text.

Essentially, I'd equate that to a normal human having a flashlight pointed in their direction; at worst you get a glare penalty, which I agree might piss someone off.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <06-12-16/1258:44> »
I wonder just how intensive that UV light has to be....

We currently use high wattage UV light in city water purification systems. But those lights are so intense, you get a 3rd degree sub-dermal burns after 15 seconds on exposure....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-12-16/1310:48> »
That'd do, Reaver. What kind of bulb sizes are we talking? Small enough to fit a flashlight?

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <06-12-16/1334:35> »
That'd do, Reaver. What kind of bulb sizes are we talking? Small enough to fit a flashlight?
Any version that's liable to work on a civic scale is probably fragging huge.

However, the home version can get very small.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-12-16/1358:39> »
I'm guessing the home version won't actually give you a 3rd degree sub-dermal burns after a 15 second exposure time, though?

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <06-12-16/1433:57> »
Probably not.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #12 on: <06-12-16/2051:41> »

Its an arrangment of 36 blubs, each 48 inches in lenght that surround a clear section on pipe....

In such a rig, UV radiation is able to clean about 100,000 liters of water an hour, per intake.

●●●●

So, your flashlight would be 4 feet wide with one of these blubs :P
And mind you, these are specialized blubs! You place orders for them 6 months in advance for manufacture.... not run to Home Depot to buy.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

&#24525;

« Reply #13 on: <06-12-16/2257:29> »
I'm guessing the home version won't actually give you a 3rd degree sub-dermal burns after a 15 second exposure time, though?
That probably wasn't pointed at someone with an allergy to UV light though...

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <06-12-16/2310:09> »
Clearly, there is only one solution.

Reaver, dear, we shall need you to acquire a stop watch and an albino, then measure how long it takes for the albino to die upon exposure to this light bulb.