NEWS

E-ntities Pre-Crash 2.0 (Where are they now?)

• 11 Replies

SPYD3R

• Newb
« on: <08-22-15/1938:34> »
And by pre-crash what I really mean is DURING.

For certain canon E-entities present during the crash:
  Artificial Intelligences:
    Deus
    Mirage (AKA Psychotrope)
    Maegera (Formerly known as Morgan)
  E-ghosts:
    Alice
    Captain Chaos (For an extremely brief period of time before being reformatted into a non-conscious form by JackBNimble.)
    Thousands more created by the crash itself.
    Possible more created by JackBNimble (or perhaps ALL e-ghosts other than Alice were created by JackBNimble running around creating copies of people in the moments between the beginning of the end and the end of the end?)
  Otaku:
    Pax
    Puck
    Others

Potential E-entities:
  Artificial Intelligences:
    Jormangand (While it did NOT run for a long time, one of the normal requirements for the creation of an AI, its (theoretical) birth pains were so incredibly filled with life altering events one could hand waive that one requirement away and say that indeed a new AI was born.  Given its dissonant base code and programmed for total annihilation this would make for a very nasty Matrix Entity indeed.  Then again its lifespan would have been less than an hour.)
    JackBNimble  (Potentially the same run-time issue as Jormangand.  It is possible that JackBNimble lay dormant, a pre-existing AI until Jormangand unlocked its encryption and it awoke.)
  E-ghosts:
  Otaku:
    Technomancers (At least the ones who gained their abilities due to the crash.  Not long enough to be able to use their abilities, but presumably they were essentially newborn Otaku for nanoseconds.)

Firstly, Am I missing anyone?  Do I have anything wrong?

Secondly, where are they now?  I have Lockdown ordered but it has yet to arrive but I've gathered that Pax is involved in that and possible Deus as well. 

I also vaguely remember fluff (maybe at the end of System Failure) that seemed to indicate The Big 3 survived in some form but child-like and with little memory of their former existence.  Am I crazy?  Did I imagine this?

Also, "Hello!"

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-23-15/0005:27> »
When it releases, Ten AIs will stir the pot on several of these threads, but I can't say more until it drops. (D'oh!)

There are 0-2 more Big AIs out there in teh pre-crash era... maybe. One I don't know, but I've seen mention of around here, which is tied in with the novel series which I never got my hands on. I know nothing about it, other than it was un-named.

The other is the rumor that an AI lived at the top of teh COrd Mutual Tower, in Atlanta, a rumor that predated 2050 by enough that it was conssidered an 'open secret' there. No data on this potential AI has ever been seen, however.

Otherwise, your list is pretty dang solid.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #2 on: <08-23-15/0111:36> »
Denver City of Shadows implies but does not directly say that Mitch, the founder of the Denver Data Haven became an e-Ghost.

Assuming Shadowrun: Dragonfall is canonical (which I think it is) Saeder-Krupp made an AI called APEX, which may or may not exist anymore.

Cerberus and  Neurosis may be two different AIs formed from Eliohann during the crash, or maybe it's just one AI with split personalities.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-31-15/1506:40> »
Assuming Shadowrun: Dragonfall is canonical (which I think it is) Saeder-Krupp made an AI called APEX, which may or may not exist anymore.
Dragonfall is canonical, just the "correct" ending is not (yet?) established -- but probably not the "rocks fall" one :D

witchdoctor

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-04-15/1940:49> »
Alice shows up in Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall as an information broker who you do various missions to drum up enough money to buy information from her on the whereabouts of Adrian Vauclair. The last you see of her in Dragonfall is when you show up to make the payoff and she gives you the information you paid for telling you that she pissed off some major players getting it for you. She tells you she is going into hiding for the forseeable future and recommends you do the same presumably because she, and by extension you, ended up on Fuerschwinge's radar in a big way by looking up Vauclair. Short answer is exit stage right pursued by Fuerschwinge.

Puck is alive and well, nobody really knows what exactly he's up to cause he's a little off but there's a whole section in Data Trails that is written by him, explaining Disonance and how it related to his part in the Big Crash 2.0, but it's implied he's a regular on Jackpoint but no one can really explain why they let him in on account of the whole major cause of the Crash 2.0 thing.

As far as anyone really knows JackBNimble is hanging out with Captain Chaos since it was gifted to him by the Big D in his will and is the closest thing JackBNimble has to a master.

PAX shows up in Shadowrun Chronicles as a major reason behind the events of Boston Lockdown as a lot of what happened, I think, was related to her attempts to screw up an attempt by Neonet to restore Eliohanns E-ghost to this physical body using nanites because she's PAX and that's what she does.
« Last Edit: <09-04-15/1954:27> by witchdoctor »

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-04-15/2048:50> »
Puck has a JackPoint account by FastJack's own invitation. He's mentioned that they had a deal of some sort, but, as of yet, no one's revealed what that deal was/is.

(bum bum bummmm)

witchdoctor

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <09-04-15/2238:09> »
And of course it's anyone's guess what that deal was now that the other party to that deal is now infected with CFD. Plus he was one of the founding members of Jackpoint they probably couldn't keep him out if they tried, he's like the guy that keeps finding ways in and are just hoping he isn't going to trash the place.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #7 on: <09-05-15/0419:03> »
... wow.  Where are YOU getting your information from?  I can't find one really good bit of information there.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

witchdoctor

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-05-15/1042:48> »
... wow.  Where are YOU getting your information from?  I can't find one really good bit of information there.

Fastjack is assumed to be suffering from CFD due to the nanites he has. Puck was a follower of Deus and by his own admission, in Data Trails, he indicated he was responsible for planting the Jormugand virus that "killed" Deus. As far as the founding member bit that's from the Shadowrun Wiki and it matches what I know about Jackpoint.

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-05-15/1524:27> »
@witchdoctor: I think you're extrapolating a bit too much in the case of Alice.  Bear in mind that Shadowrun: Dragonfall occurs in the 2050s, while the Matrix Crash 2.0 is 2064.  In any case should Feuerschwinge survive the events of Dragonfall, she's in no shape to affect the Sixth World unduly without a long recovery period.  More likely Alice is referring to lying low due to some other high powers or movers and shakers.  It is Goldensnout's backyard in any case and … well Dragonfall Epilogue explores THAT little angle.

Prior to Data Trails, the e-ghost known as Alice Haeffner was missing, presumed lost in the aftermath of Crash 2.0.  The fluff in System Failure heavily implies that she was either destroyed or rendered dormant.  However, Plan 9 brings up a rumor that e-ghosts in general and Alice in particular are apparently working for Renraku.  Take this with a grain of salt because it is, after all, Plan 9 bringing up a conspiracy theory.

As for Puck, well, tracking his activity requires a lot more digging and cross referencing, but he was active in the first Jackpoint publication (Runner Havens) which is dated February 2070.  He's mentioned as having the lowest rep score on Jackpoint and that probably held true until Clockwork or Kane or Haze managed to shoot themselves in the foot.  Fastjack makes the point of saying he brought Puck onboard for a reason at this time.  That said during this period  he definitely behaves himself and offers a unique perspective on a lot of the things addressed by Jackpoint.
He vanishes during the period of Unwired which is published in July 2071.
From there, he's got no direct mention until Corporate Guide which is April 2072. The fluff verifies that he's being held captive by MCT in their "Rose Garden."
By Aug 2073 he is a free man, according to Icarus though there is no proof offered in the Street Legends publication.  His first post after his escape from the Rose Garden comes in December 2073 in the Corporate Intrigue entry.
Puck's a VERY busy boy during the Denver shenanigans, but the last mention I see of a "deal" with Fastjack comes at the end of Storm Front after 'Jack's farewell letter.
Quote from: Puck
> Dammit ‘Jack, you can’t leave me here as the last man standing. We had a deal.
> Puck

witchdoctor

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-05-15/1820:59> »
@witchdoctor: I think you're extrapolating a bit too much in the case of Alice.  Bear in mind that Shadowrun: Dragonfall occurs in the 2050s, while the Matrix Crash 2.0 is 2064.  In any case should Feuerschwinge survive the events of Dragonfall, she's in no shape to affect the Sixth World unduly without a long recovery period.  More likely Alice is referring to lying low due to some other high powers or movers and shakers.  It is Goldensnout's backyard in any case and … well Dragonfall Epilogue explores THAT little angle.

Prior to Data Trails, the e-ghost known as Alice Haeffner was missing, presumed lost in the aftermath of Crash 2.0.  The fluff in System Failure heavily implies that she was either destroyed or rendered dormant.  However, Plan 9 brings up a rumor that e-ghosts in general and Alice in particular are apparently working for Renraku.  Take this with a grain of salt because it is, after all, Plan 9 bringing up a conspiracy theory.

I didn't intend to imply that Alice has been on the run the whole time from Fuerschwinge only that the last solid piece of information regarding her activities is that she obtained information regarding Adrian Vauclair's status and whereabouts and was forced to go into hiding. As far as I know anything after that is rumor and speculation. Additionally she outright states that the reason she has to go in hiding is the information she gets for the PC in Dragonfall, this information is only really of interest to Fuerschwinge as Vauclair was the one who originally shot her down over the SOX in Germany and by that point the rest of the Great Dragons had washed their hands of her and there would be no reason I can see for Goldensnout to come after Alice for stealing information that didn't directly threaten him.

As for Puck, well, tracking his activity requires a lot more digging and cross referencing, but he was active in the first Jackpoint publication (Runner Havens) which is dated February 2070.  He's mentioned as having the lowest rep score on Jackpoint and that probably held true until Clockwork or Kane or Haze managed to shoot themselves in the foot.  Fastjack makes the point of saying he brought Puck onboard for a reason at this time.  That said during this period  he definitely behaves himself and offers a unique perspective on a lot of the things addressed by Jackpoint.
He vanishes during the period of Unwired which is published in July 2071.
From there, he's got no direct mention until Corporate Guide which is April 2072. The fluff verifies that he's being held captive by MCT in their "Rose Garden."
By Aug 2073 he is a free man, according to Icarus though there is no proof offered in the Street Legends publication.  His first post after his escape from the Rose Garden comes in December 2073 in the Corporate Intrigue entry.
Puck's a VERY busy boy during the Denver shenanigans, but the last mention I see of a "deal" with Fastjack comes at the end of Storm Front after 'Jack's farewell letter.
Quote from: Puck
> Dammit ‘Jack, you can’t leave me here as the last man standing. We had a deal.
> Puck

I have my own theory on this and it's mostly due to Puck's experience with AIs and Disonance that for a while FastJack had been suffering from early stage CFD and had been having Puck try to find a cure for him which is the deal that Puck and FastJack mention. I have no evidence for this except what I just mentioned and it's pretty flimsy and I realize that so this is just my personal opinion. Feel free to weigh in on the validity or strengths and weaknesses of this particular theory.
« Last Edit: <09-05-15/1912:44> by witchdoctor »

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <06-01-16/0319:44> »
In 2057, just after the Big D's inauguration night ...

Alice made an appearance in the Dragon Heart Trilogy of novels, where she made a deal with Ryan Mercury, Dunklezahn's personal shadow operative, which had Alice's nemesis, who had recently attempted to possess Ryan's body, as the topic.